Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The health care bill is past by just 7 votes!

The health care bill is past by just 7 votes!

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 12:46 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The health care bill is past by just 7 votes!

Originally Posted by dakota44
Which part of this confuses you? The "reduce federal deficits" part???
you might need to change the batteries in your sarcasometer
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 1:01 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
indeed
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 1:04 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

CBO and JCT estimate that enacting the reconciliation proposal would add about $20 billion to the deficit reductions over the 2010-2019 period, on top of the $118 billion in net savings attributable to the Senate-passed H.R. 3590."
For what it is worth CBO was set up by Congress in the 70's as a bipartisan office -- the idea being that Congress did not want to be dependent upon Executive Branch figures. JCT is even older than that. Both are not within the executive branch. Also, the professional staffers are aware of the fact that there is an election every two years and their job longevity depends upon being objective.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I'm in the pocket of private insurance companies? Because I oppose bad legislation? Oh, okay.
Glad you admit it Bad legislation? Try REAL ID or the so-called "Bankruptcy Reform" bill both passed on a yes or no vote tacked onto the back of must pass military spending bills.

If you want to look at sheeple, I couldn't think of a better example than tea party aficionados. Where exactly were these people while Bush was spending like there was no tomorrow?
Exactly. Amazing how quiet they were back then
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
They're recharging now.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
So if you get acute appendicitis, how will you manage to buy insurance?
I am sure the ER will be ready with the paperwork. This is the US.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:12 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Boiler
I am sure the ER will be ready with the paperwork. This is the US.
Yea, I hope you're being sarcastic, or else, good luck with signing up for an insurance policy right when you need it. At least Appendicitis, if the appendectomy is performed promptly, usually doesn't result in long lasting complications. I guess you can totally pay for it out of pocket and still not go bankrupt.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:17 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a hodgepodge because of the failure on the part of politicians who are blind to the real need. But a hodgepodge is better than nothing and is possible to build on.
I understand and can even sympathise, to an extent, with the "doing anything is better than doing nothing" point of view. Sadly, I'm not sure it is. In fact, I'm half convinced that the whole fscking thing was choreographed, with politicians of both parties getting shed loads of kickbacks, in exchange for us all getting an ass raping.

Originally Posted by lansbury
Come to Oregon our Governor is all ready setting up the health care exchange
I wouldn't be quite so quick to dismiss McKenna. I've had dealings with him in the past and, for a man who is elected and therefore part of politics, he struck me as being far from the worst of the species.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
Yea, I hope you're being sarcastic, or else, good luck with signing up for an insurance policy right when you need it. At least Appendicitis, if the appendectomy is performed promptly, usually doesn't result in long lasting complications. I guess you can totally pay for it out of pocket and still not go bankrupt.
I am sure they will find a way, a thumb print as you are admitted?, they will want to get paid.

It will be a bit like Mortgages, either you provide confirmation of House Insurance or we arrange it for you.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I am sure they will find a way, a thumb print as you are admitted?, they will want to get paid.

It will be a bit like Mortgages, either you provide confirmation of House Insurance or we arrange it for you.
Be sure to call me if the situation arises. I really want to be there to see that conversation.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, a foot in the door. To what?

A utopian society where there's universal healthcare and rainbows and unicorns for all! Whoopty doo! Just like the UK! With its MRSA infested hospitals.

Are you living in reality?
How about a foot in the door to a possible medical system where health care is a universal right and not only for people who have money or to a system where people don't die because they cannot afford the medication needed to keep them alive or a system where people have worked hard all of their lives to save, buy a home etc only to have it all taken and be left penniless because they had the misfortune to become ill.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Alright, I'm going to chime in.

Some of you that have only been here a few years or less just don't get it.
This is the United States, not Britain. The history and mindset are different.
You're like the Californians who flocking to Colorado. They bankrupted their state due to their "progressive" policies, and then they come here and want to do exactly the same.

No, it won't be cheaper. It's going to get a hell of a lot more expensive. And restrictive.

I agree that health care and the way it's paid for need to be reformed. But this bill was is a hodge-podge. All of you gleeful cretins who are so excited this thing happened, you don't see the bigger picture about what has been lost, and the cost.
What you said. There are ways to reform health care one step at a time and do it properly, not create a huge great expensive c***up like this bill.

Last edited by 1chumly; Mar 23rd 2010 at 12:15 pm. Reason: changed my mind
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I was actually happy to hear of the bill passing yesterday, thinking specifically of my Son and him being able to stay on our insurance until he is 26. Then hubby sends me an email to say that Tricare has been excluded!!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by 1chumly
What you said. There are ways to reform health care one step at a time and do it properly, not create a huge great expensive c***up like this bill.
That is the truth.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:47 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The way to do this properly is universal health care via a single payer system.

The vote was really about "do we do something or do we do nothing." Perpetuating the status quo would've been wrong. At least with a bad bill, things can be tweaked and the Repubs will have motivation to fight to alter things. Status quo? Repubs leave their thumbs in.

Last edited by snowbunny; Mar 23rd 2010 at 3:36 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.