British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   The health care bill is past by just 7 votes! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/health-care-bill-past-just-7-votes-660510/)

Michael Apr 11th 2010 11:29 pm

Re: The health care bill is past by just 7 votes!

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 8488863)
I reminded the seniors that the "doughnut" hole would shrink and they laughed at said that would "only" be $250 a year:

Next time remind them that the $250 savings is just the start of filling the donut hole. Starting in January of 2011, patients in the coverage gap will get 50 percent discounts on brand-name drugs. The drug companies will finance the price reduction as part of a deal with the White House, in which the industry made tens of billions of dollars in price concessions.

The federal government will play a big role, too, in closing the doughnut hole. In 2013, the government will begin providing subsidies for brand-name drugs bought by seniors who hit the coverage gap. The government's share will start off small, at 2.5 percent, but will increase to 25 percent by 2020. At that point, the combined industry discounts and government subsidies will add up to 75 percent of brand-name drug costs.

Generic drugs — which cost far less than brand-name drugs do — will be dealt with separately. Beginning next year, government subsidies will cover 7 percent of generic drug costs once people hit the doughnut hole. Washington will pick up additional portions each year until 2020, when federal dollars will cover 75 percent of generic drug costs.

anotherlimey Apr 12th 2010 2:38 am

A fun read: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/28/business/28cheer.html :ohmy:

Giantaxe Apr 12th 2010 2:58 am

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8488882)
You forgot to include the fact that most of those in Congress are seniors - with even less of a clue about how those of us in the real world have to live.

The average Representative is 56 and the average Senator is 61, so it's very unlikely most are seniors. It's true that many are though, and of course they all get very nice health insurance courtesy of the taxpayer.

chartreuse Apr 12th 2010 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 8489154)
The average Representative is 56 and the average Senator is 61, so it's very unlikely most are seniors. It's true that many are though, and of course they all get very nice health insurance courtesy of the taxpayer.

The phrase "Close enough for government work" springs to mind...

snowbunny Apr 12th 2010 11:44 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 8489131)

I know someone who's done this as a post-divorce, get-back-to-work career. Laughter certainly *sells* the most medicine!

Michael Apr 14th 2010 12:13 am

It appears congress may have screwed up their own health insurance with the health care reform bill.

Legislate in haste, repent at leisure. Looks like Congress is having one of those "Holy S---!" moments; it appears they have royally mucked up their own health insurance - for all 535 members of Congress and untold congressional employees. In a hurry, they forgot to get it right and wrote it all wrong; now it's the law...

Looks like Congress is in the same boat they built for the rest of America, without a clue what the new health care reform will mean to them.

How could that be? Simple, a scaled-down provision of Republic Senator Grassley's “Health Reform Accountability Act” - this one requiring all congress members and their employees, with the exception of Senate committee and leadership staffs, to get their health insurance through the same health insurance exchanges where the general public would get theirs was left in the bill, unopposed, and was signed into law by President Obama.

It appears that the poorly written law is so mangled that “It is unclear whether members of Congress and Congressional staff who are currently participating in F.E.H.B.P. may be able to retain this coverage,” the research service said in an 8,100-word memorandum. "

Some are concerned, and rightly so, that as written, the bill can be interpreted to mean that the second the bill went into law - their own insurance that they know and love - was wiped out. It's a long stretch to 2014, when health care exchanges go into effect and the law (as written) voids their insurance without providing a alternative. Whatever are they to do in the meantime?

http://www.examiner.com/x-35532-Dall...care-insurance

Wouldn't it be nice if congress (both the house and senate) would now have to go on the open market and see if they could get health insurance? I suspect that many of those conservatives that opposed health care reform would finally realize the mess that the current health insurance market is for the over 50s and people with preexisting conditions.

Brit3964 Apr 14th 2010 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 8494150)
Wouldn't it be nice if congress (both the house and senate) would now have to go on the open market and see if they could get health insurance? I suspect that many of those conservatives that opposed health care reform would finally realize the mess that the current health insurance market is for the over 50s and people with preexisting conditions.

Hear hear! This could be quite funny to watch :sneaky:

snowbunny Apr 14th 2010 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Brit3964 (Post 8494237)
Hear hear! This could be quite funny to watch :sneaky:

I don't think it's amusing; I think it's fair.

dakota44 Apr 14th 2010 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 8494150)
It appears congress may have screwed up their own health insurance with the health care reform bill.

Legislate in haste, repent at leisure. Looks like Congress is having one of those "Holy S---!" moments; it appears they have royally mucked up their own health insurance - for all 535 members of Congress and untold congressional employees. In a hurry, they forgot to get it right and wrote it all wrong; now it's the law...

Looks like Congress is in the same boat they built for the rest of America, without a clue what the new health care reform will mean to them.

How could that be? Simple, a scaled-down provision of Republic Senator Grassley's “Health Reform Accountability Act” - this one requiring all congress members and their employees, with the exception of Senate committee and leadership staffs, to get their health insurance through the same health insurance exchanges where the general public would get theirs was left in the bill, unopposed, and was signed into law by President Obama.

It appears that the poorly written law is so mangled that “It is unclear whether members of Congress and Congressional staff who are currently participating in F.E.H.B.P. may be able to retain this coverage,” the research service said in an 8,100-word memorandum. "

Some are concerned, and rightly so, that as written, the bill can be interpreted to mean that the second the bill went into law - their own insurance that they know and love - was wiped out. It's a long stretch to 2014, when health care exchanges go into effect and the law (as written) voids their insurance without providing a alternative. Whatever are they to do in the meantime?

http://www.examiner.com/x-35532-Dall...care-insurance

I suspect that a significant majority of the public would be ecstatic at the prospect. :lol: Bit of a rock and a hard place for them. They try to fix that and it's like telling the rest of America, "We're better than you."

Steerpike Apr 14th 2010 4:24 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 8494445)
I don't think it's amusing; I think it's fair.

It's fair AND amusing - that's even better! :)

Michael Apr 14th 2010 5:00 am

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 8494447)
I suspect that a significant majority of the public would be ecstatic at the prospect. :lol: Bit of a rock and a hard place for them. They try to fix that and it's like telling the rest of America, "We're better than you."

In the middle of the night, they will quietly pass a bill fixing the problem. Bunning and Coburn won't grandstand demanding that the bill be paid for, there won't be any debate, no filibuster, and it will have large bipartisan support.

Most likely they will attach it to something like the defense appropriation bill and then claim that they couldn't vote against that since the troops wouldn't be paid if it wasn't passed.

dakota44 Apr 14th 2010 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 8494542)
In the middle of the night, they will quietly pass a bill fixing the problem. Bunning and Coburn won't grandstand demanding that the bill be paid for, there won't be any debate, no filibuster, and it will have large bipartisan support.

Most likely they will attach it to something like the defense appropriation bill and then claim that they couldn't vote against that since the troops wouldn't be paid if it wasn't passed.

That sounds about right. :lol:

Michael Apr 14th 2010 8:39 am

There was a good documentary last night on PBS Frontline called Obama's Deal documenting how health care reform was passed.

The following link is that documentary.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ource=proglist

chartreuse Apr 14th 2010 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 8494542)

Reminds me of the Bruce Cockburn song:

I see the paid-off local bottom feeders
Passing themselves off as leaders
Kiss the ladies shake hands with the fellows
And it's open for business like a cheap bordello

And they call it democracy, and they call it democracy
And they call it democracy, and they call it democracy

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 14th 2010 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 8494894)
There was a good documentary last night on PBS Frontline called Obama's Deal documenting how health care reform was passed.

The following link is that documentary.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ource=proglist

I watched it.

I really think you should have posted a warning, I feel quite dirty.