Health Care

Old Jun 12th 2014, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

dragon4609 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Care

I need coverage until I can go on my future wife's policy. I am looking at about 3 months before I can change my status. Any ideas of which company to use?
Old Jun 12th 2014, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Care

I had to look back at your previous posts to know how to respond to this. It looks like you're in a K1 visa process?

Can you not use travel insurance from the UK until you're married? Then, as soon as you get married, it should count as event that allows your wife to change her insurance elections immediately, instead of waiting till the annual review period. I forget the technical term for this.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
I had to look back at your previous posts to know how to respond to this. It looks like you're in a K1 visa process?

Can you not use travel insurance from the UK until you're married? Then, as soon as you get married, it should count as event that allows your wife to change her insurance elections immediately, instead of waiting till the annual review period. I forget the technical term for this.
'Qualifying event' I think.

Not sure if travel insurance works when you've moved. This has come up before, but the search function has not been working lately.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Beware! Most, if not all, travel insurance will not apply if you permanently move.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
'Qualifying event' I think.
That's the one.

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Beware! Most, if not all, travel insurance will not apply if you permanently move.
But if you're on a K1 and haven't married yet, then you can't have permanently moved. Whether the insurance company would see it that way, though, I don't know.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

That's the one.

But if you're on a K1 and haven't married yet, then you can't have permanently moved. Whether the insurance company would see it that way, though, I don't know.
You would have to pay up front for most medical care or work with the insurance company. They would quickly figure it out. Not to mention a lot wouldn't be covered and you may be required to return to the UK for treatment
Old Jun 12th 2014, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
You would have to pay up front for most medical care or work with the insurance company. They would quickly figure it out. Not to mention a lot wouldn't be covered and you may be required to return to the UK for treatment
I'm not saying you lie to the travel insurance company. If you're on a K1, you cannot be permanently in the US until you are married. There isn't necessarily anything for them to figure out. You do make a good point that they would expect you to return to the UK for any non-urgent treatment, though.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 6:38 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dragon4609
I need coverage until I can go on my future wife's policy. I am looking at about 3 months before I can change my status. Any ideas of which company to use?
Google immigrant health insurance, I can't remember the name of the company but it was something like insubuy.com, I've read good reviews of them and that's who were going to use when we move in a few months until we can get on my fiance's plan.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 9:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

ACA...new immigrant is a qualifying event.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying you lie to the travel insurance company. If you're on a K1, you cannot be permanently in the US until you are married. There isn't necessarily anything for them to figure out. You do make a good point that they would expect you to return to the UK for any non-urgent treatment, though.
They'd also want to see evidence that you had bought a ticket to fly home again. Otherwise it looks an awful lot like you're not really travelling temporarily.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

BTW I think I used Medibroker when I was in a similar situation.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 8:46 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
They'd also want to see evidence that you had bought a ticket to fly home again. Otherwise it looks an awful lot like you're not really travelling temporarily.
Given a return is usually significantly cheaper than a single, I don't think that'll be a problem, do you?
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

A return coming back within a few weeks is cheaper. A return coming back in several months' time not necessarily...
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:03 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
A return coming back within a few weeks is cheaper. A return coming back in several months' time not necessarily...
I'm not sure I agree, based on my (admittedly only once experience. My firm booked a ticket for me out here around this time last year. I flew back on the return leg of that ticket (which had been adjusted for a 100 GBP fee) 11 months and 20 days later. The price of the ticket didn't change.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:50 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Barclaycard that gave me travel insurance for my whole family wherever I went. I think so long as you're in the country for less than 3 months it will work. We had to use it on a skiing trip to Andorra when sprog broke his arm, paid out no problem. Might be worth looking into?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.