Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HEADING FOR CHICAGO - Need playdate for Wife!

HEADING FOR CHICAGO - Need playdate for Wife!

Old Oct 9th 2010, 11:16 am
Just Joined

BRITX-PAT is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb HEADING FOR CHICAGO - Need playdate for Wife!

Hi,

This forum is great, Myself and my family (five of us in total) have been living the expat dream in Dubai for the last few years but the company is now moving us to Chicago (change in weather I think!!). Anyway I've just got my L1A and the wife and kids will be joining me at Thanksgiving. I'm looking for anybody I can connect her with who she can get ideas from and also be able to share some of the experiences. She's already done the whole international move, so thats not a big wrench but obviously its a new city.

Anybody I can connect her with I would be really grateful.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 2:22 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HEADING FOR CHICAGO - Need playdate for Wife!

Originally Posted by BRITX-PAT
Hi,

This forum is great, Myself and my family (five of us in total) have been living the expat dream in Dubai for the last few years but the company is now moving us to Chicago (change in weather I think!!). Anyway I've just got my L1A and the wife and kids will be joining me at Thanksgiving. I'm looking for anybody I can connect her with who she can get ideas from and also be able to share some of the experiences. She's already done the whole international move, so thats not a big wrench but obviously its a new city.

If no repsponse of BE then have a look at www.meetup.com Sure there are plenty of expats in the Chicago area that would love to swap tales.

Heres a start for you http://www.meetup.com/brit-50/
Old Oct 10th 2010, 3:56 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

im the L2 of a L visa pair. I would actually advise your wife to come on here and read some of the threads as they give a general idea of what might be of note. Then she can post specific questions if she has any and get direct responses. I know i found this vitally helpful when i was in that situation.

Additionally - do you know any of your new colleagues in the Chicago office. I found that several of my husbands American colleagues met up with us for say a family meal in a restaurant - so the wives could meet. I met several people that way and clicked with some and remain friends with those wives to this day (had dinner with one of them this evening). Obviously not all you will click with but anything helps. Also - are there other expats who have already traveled through the same firm - I have met up with at least a few families who have come over here on reconnaissance visits prior to transferring on an L1/2 visa from the same firm - and was able to offer advice to them. Again - clicked with some more than others and keep in touch - so you could well find some wives willing to do that in other expat couples. The common link of the firm often helps.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Hi there and welcome to BE! Hope everything goes smoothly with your move, Chicago is a great town. BE also has a meet-up portion of the forum that you may want to check out when you have a chance. Meet Ups Be sure to stick around, we have some regular posters from the Chicago area.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Weescots is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Hi BRITX-PAT.. picked up your comment from last year on the british expats site last night. My family and I are from Scotland and live in Buffalo Grove. we have 2 girls (14 and 7) and have lived here for 11 years. If you or/and your wife would be interested in meeting up, let me know. My wife is a stay at home mum. All the best.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

BRITX-PAT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Weescots

This is the wife! I would love to meet up with your family. We lived in Scotland for 10 years!! My kids are 10 and almost 5. What school do the kids go to? My eldest is at Ivy Hall. It would be great to meet your wife too for a coffee.

My email add is <snip>

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Last edited by Sue; Jan 7th 2011 at 1:51 am. Reason: Not a good idea to post your email address on the public forum. Instead share that info via the private message system