Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Heading back to the UK - Emergency Travel documents

Heading back to the UK - Emergency Travel documents

Old Feb 22nd 2015, 2:55 am
Just Joined

grotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud of
Default Heading back to the UK - Emergency Travel documents

Hi all,

I have been a LPR in the US for 15 years. In 2003 my passport was stolen. 2 weeks ago I applied for a replacement passport but in the meantime my father has become terminally ill and only has a few days left.

The UK passport office has told me that they have completed my passport application and that I can expect it "soon".

My questions are...

1. What does "soon" mean, are we looking at a few days?
2. Should I be looking for emergency travel documents to repatriate me?
3. If I get emergency travel documents, is it cool for my wife to fed-ex me my passport once it arrives?
4. Should I just sit tight and wait for my passport? I believe my father only has about 10 days left before he passes... That of course is an estimate.
5. My employer is willing to put me out on FMLA for "caring for a family member", I am guessing that even though my employment is protected I will go unpaid (outside of PTO).
6. Bereavement leave is upto 5 days if a funeral over 300 miles away from my home is included.
7. Are there any other benefits that I am missing?

I live in California.

Thanks guys!
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

BerkshireBugsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Heading back to the UK - Emergency Travel documents

First of all i sympathise with you regarding the situation with your father. I lost both of my parents due to cancer as well as my father in law at the beginning of the new year and I know in the case of cancer expected lifespans can be very fluid. You didn't state what the illness was and to be honest there is no reason why you should, it's your private business,

Btw I'm a UK resident rather than living abroad

Sadly I'm not sure anyone who is outside of the UK passport service will be able to answer your questions the key one if which, in my opinion, is number one.

Do I assume that because you applied for a replacement one you are still on the UK system (I'm guessing you must be)?

I'm really surprised that the passport office takes as long as it does to renew passports. I recently had to have an emergency renewal at the office in London and the interview to about 5 minutes and I w as able to pick up my passport later that day. Ok, I accept that if your passport has been stolen there are additional checks that need to be carried out for the protection of your identity and if it is a postal renewal they may need to check counter signatories etc

Sorry I can't help you - hopefully your passport will be despatched soon and you will be able to travel in time

All the best
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 8:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy
First of all i sympathise with you regarding the situation with your father. I lost both of my parents due to cancer as well as my father in law at the beginning of the new year and I know in the case of cancer expected lifespans can be very fluid. You didn't state what the illness was and to be honest there is no reason why you should, it's your private business,

Btw I'm a UK resident rather than living abroad

Sadly I'm not sure anyone who is outside of the UK passport service will be able to answer your questions the key one if which, in my opinion, is number one.

Do I assume that because you applied for a replacement one you are still on the UK system (I'm guessing you must be)?

I'm really surprised that the passport office takes as long as it does to renew passports. I recently had to have an emergency renewal at the office in London and the interview to about 5 minutes and I w as able to pick up my passport later that day. Ok, I accept that if your passport has been stolen there are additional checks that need to be carried out for the protection of your identity and if it is a postal renewal they may need to check counter signatories etc

Sorry I can't help you - hopefully your passport will be despatched soon and you will be able to travel in time

All the best
He only applied two weeks ago, the passport was stolen 11 years ago. While I sympathise with the OP re his situation, surely living so far from his family he must have realised that there was always likely to be a need to travel quickly, and possibly should have applied before. I'm sure that many expats keep their UK passport currrent 'just in case'.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 1:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry to hear of your father's condition.

Under the circumstances I would not rely on "soon", but would get an ETD.

IMO there is nothing wrong with FedExing your passport when it arrives. Just out of curiosity, what is your back-up plan to get back to the US if it takes a month to arrive, or worse is lost in shipping?
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

grotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud of

Thanks for your replies...

Yes, I should have applied sooner rather than later for a replacement, that one is on me, but I felt no immediate need to have a passport as I had no intention of travelling so it was kind of at the bottom of my list. My father's decline has been very fast, he was with me here in April of last year and although he had symptoms that we now know were indicating that he was terminally ill for the most part he seemed well.

I do not have a backup plan to get to the US, my only sense of security is that my employer is filing FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) on my behalf to take care of a family member. I would qualify for this based not only my father's condition but also my mother's. This protects my employment for 26 weeks plus I am in a financial position where I can survive for that amount of time without pay.

I just spoke with (yes, 7am pacific time on a Sunday) the passport office help desk. They were not able to provide me with an update at this point but they said they will call me back within 3 business days. I was kind of hoping that I would have my passport within 3 business days.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 3:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You say in your first post that HMPO has completed your passport application? Has someone confirmed it has actually been approved and therefore you are only waiting for it to be printed and dispatched? If that is the case then I would wait for it.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I have an email saying that it has been "completed" and that I should receive my passport "soon".

"Thank you for your e-mail about your passport application. I have today, Friday 20/02/2015, been able to complete the application, your new passport and supporting documents should be with you soon.
Regards"
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 3:30 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grotster
Yes, I have an email saying that it has been "completed" and that I should receive my passport "soon".

"Thank you for your e-mail about your passport application. I have today, Friday 20/02/2015, been able to complete the application, your new passport and supporting documents should be with you soon.
Regards"
In that case hang tight. It'll be in the printing queue. Once it's printed it'll be send to you automatically. With a little luck and a fair wind you should have it by next Friday.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

My father just passed so I will be waiting a few extra days for my passport rather than rushing to the airport with emergency travel documents.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

BerkshireBugsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Very sad news indeed.

Safe travels
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 9:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that. Take care Grotster.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 1:33 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for your loss Grotster. This is the tough part of living away from our families and I'm sure many of us can appreciate what you're going through. Safe journey home.xx
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 2:36 am
Just Joined

Yes, it truly is one of the tough parts about living away from our families, we spend so much time getting our paper work in order to move away that we forget where we came from. This week has been a wake up call for myself, I need to make sure that I can make sure that I can return home in a moments notice wherever in the world my life leads me.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 2:55 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

My mother deteriorated suddenly whilst I was living in France, only an hour and half flight away but even getting on the first available flight meant that she died 20 minutes before I got there. There's only so much you can prepare for so go easy on yourself and make the most of your family when you see them. Thinking of you.xx
Old Feb 24th 2015, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Very sorry for your loss.

I just went through this with my Dad in the USA. He had been in hospice care since September and I saw him a couple of times within a few months. I was assured that someone would call when he had a few days left. No call and he died on a Saturday afternoon.

As PF says, go easy on yourself. And don't be like me and feel guilty for something completely out of your control.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.