Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Heading back to good old Blighty!

Heading back to good old Blighty!

Old May 10th 2011, 4:46 am
Just Joined

ramah will become famous soon enoughramah will become famous soon enough
Default Heading back to good old Blighty!

Hi All, This is my first post and I had a couple of questions I hope can be answered. Been in the US as a Perm/Res for 12 years and am ready to head for home in UK for good this summer. Bit sorry to go but I have some major family obligations to take care of as soon as I get home. I have no plans to return to the USA. Question is; do I still have to file taxes next year like I've been doing over here or is that all finished with once I go back? I understand my perm/res will be classed as abandoned but that's ok. Thanks in advance!
Old May 10th 2011, 4:53 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading back to good old Blighty!

Originally Posted by ramah
Hi All, This is my first post and I had a couple of questions I hope can be answered. Been in the US as a Perm/Res for 12 years and am ready to head for home in UK for good this summer. Bit sorry to go but I have some major family obligations to take care of as soon as I get home. I have no plans to return to the USA. Question is; do I still have to file taxes next year like I've been doing over here or is that all finished with once I go back? I understand my perm/res will be classed as abandoned but that's ok. Thanks in advance!
Get a re-entry pemit I-131 before you leave ... gives you 2 years out
in case of a change of mind
Old May 10th 2011, 5:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks Ray! Do I still have to file my taxes even when I'm back in UK do you know?
Old May 10th 2011, 11:00 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

If you maintain your Green Card you will have to file taxes on all income received anywhere in the world, just like a US citizen. However, if you qualify you get a $92,000 tax credit for being overseas, and can also take an additional credit if you are renting a place overseas. Basically it means the first $100k is not going to be taxed by the USA.

So if the tax issue is off the table, you might consider a re-entry permit to come back, should your situation change. If you read through the Moving Back to the UK forum you'll find a) people who have gone home and never looked back and b) people who have gone home and then 'ping-ponged' back to their adopted 'home' after finding their UK 'home' wasn't what they expected.

Might be worth keeping your options open. In fact, if you don't think there will be a tax bite, you could even consider getting citizenship to give you (and your potential offspring) even more options later in life.

p.s. it is also worth noting that if your income level and time in the US were high, there is a potential that you could be liable for reporting to US tax authorities for a number of years even if you abandon your green card. It's quite complicated.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Green_Card_Abandonment

Last edited by penguinsix; May 10th 2011 at 11:02 am.
Old May 10th 2011, 12:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ramah
You will have to file US taxes for several years...not sure but it could be 5/10.

Why don't you apply for citizenship before you leave...that way you leave the door open should you want to return? I realise you don't see that as a possibility at the moment...but never say never. We have had many members who have moved from the US and have regretted that they can't move back.
Old May 10th 2011, 2:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, you'll be filing for years to come, probably won't have any taxes to pay though.

Should consider getting citizenship, 12 years is a long time, if things don't work out or you don't end up liking it, seems silly putting yourself in a situation that you might not be able to fix if you regret the move in the future.
Old May 10th 2011, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

I really appreciate all the feedback! It is a tough decision for sure.
Old May 12th 2011, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Barbara1133 is on a distinguished road

You want to make sure that you will be able to collect at retirement if you have paid into US social security. With the state of the social security program right now, it's not too far beyond the realm of possibility that a future administration may change the rules and decide that only US citizens living outside the USA will be entitled to collect social security. My tax guy warned me about that one. You've paid in for 12 years, and there is a tax treaty between the US and UK, so you want to make sure you are able to collect whatever pension you can at retirement (and yes, it will arrive before you can catch a second breath).
Old May 12th 2011, 4:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Barbara1133
You want to make sure that you will be able to collect at retirement if you have paid into US social security. With the state of the social security program right now, it's not too far beyond the realm of possibility that a future administration may change the rules and decide that only US citizens living outside the USA will be entitled to collect social security. My tax guy warned me about that one. You've paid in for 12 years, and there is a tax treaty between the US and UK, so you want to make sure you are able to collect whatever pension you can at retirement (and yes, it will arrive before you can catch a second breath).
Thank you and I appreciate that info!
Old May 12th 2011, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4588.pdf

this gives you the lowdown on filing/paying U.S taxes (it isnt anywhere near 5-10 years)
Old May 12th 2011, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Please try your level best to also nail the citizenship first before you go, you'll have all options open to you then.
Old May 12th 2011, 4:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4588.pdf

this gives you the lowdown on filing/paying U.S taxes (it isnt anywhere near 5-10 years)

If I am a long-term resident, must I file Form 8854 for
the next 10 years after I surrender my green card?

You must file a Form 8854 for each of the 10 tax years
after the date of your abandonment of your long-term
resident status only if:
(a) your average annual net income tax liability for the
5 years ending before the date of your termination of
residency is more than a set amount ($124,000 for 2004,
$127,000 for 2005, $131,000 for 2006),
(b) your net worth is $2 million or more on the date of
your termination of residency, or
(c) you fail to certify on Form 8854 that you have comĀ­
plied with all of your U.S. federal tax obligations for the 5
years preceding the date of your termination of residency.
Failure to file a required Form 8854 in any of the 10 tax
years after the date of your termination of residency may
result in a $10,000 penalty for each year that the form is
required but not filed
Interesting