Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Headhunters New York / San Francisco

Headhunters New York / San Francisco

Old Jun 21st 2008, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all
Default Re: Headhunters New York / San Francisco

Originally Posted by Bob
I wouldn't even bother, unless you've niche skills or really very senior, it's unlikely to happen, with the cost and hassle of the visa lottery, it's less and less likely anyone will bother, especially when IT is dime a dozen.

Best bet is work for a place with a US presence for at least a year and hope they would be willing to transfer you at some stage.
Thanks again for all these positive messages of hope.

Just wanted to say that the monster and dice cv postings are working a treat and DH has his head being hunted as we speak.

Thanks again.

You're right about IT being a dime a dozen... in certain fields though. It's a bit like saying there are millions of people out there who speak foreign languages so no-one needs linguists. The field is HUGE... some are needed, some not so.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 2:51 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emmis
Thanks again for all these positive messages of hope.

Just wanted to say that the monster and dice cv postings are working a treat and DH has his head being hunted as we speak.

Thanks again.

Just be careful. Some of the folks that troll the job boards are not actual employers, but 'career counsellors' who will try to get you to pay them a fee for 'handling' your immigration paperwork, and then poof, disappear. Be sure you are dealing with legit folks before turning over any highly personal information (bank account / id numbers / passport numbers).

Good luck.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You're right about IT being a dime a dozen... in certain fields though. It's a bit like saying there are millions of people out there who speak foreign languages so no-one needs linguists. The field is HUGE... some are needed, some not so.
True, but the reality is in getting a visa, not the job offer, and chances are slim to none if you ain't got a company transfer.

Also plenty of people don't realise the challenge in getting a visa, so you might get lot of interest and interviews and then hear nothing once they look into visa requirements and cost.

Good luck
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:21 am
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
True, but the reality is in getting a visa, not the job offer, and chances are slim to none if you ain't got a company transfer.

Also plenty of people don't realise the challenge in getting a visa, so you might get lot of interest and interviews and then hear nothing once they look into visa requirements and cost.

Good luck
Bob is totally right.

There are enough people here to choose from at the moment that when you look at Europeans and consider the visa process it is not worth it in the long run no matter how qualified you are if you do not have the paperwork. I know the industry.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:14 am
Just Joined

neojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to all

the fact you are actually asking this question, makes me think that you are not living in the real world...

A Head Hunter searches for people who can make a difference, people who can do the job.... thats the theory anyway...

Employees don't look for head hunters.. Perhaps if you're lucky you might get a job as a waitress ...

Sounds like about the level which suits you....

Plus NY or SF? You obviously have NO idea where you want to be.. Hey sit back.. Someone will call you without a doubt, make sure they hand it to you on a plate, its obviously what you deserve..

(what's ur degree in btw? sociology from East Anglia perhaps?)

get a life & get down to it in the UK...

best wishes from Texas..... btw - I do have a good job and dont need a head hunter....
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neojynx
the fact you are actually asking this question, makes me think that you are not living in the real world...

A Head Hunter searches for people who can make a difference, people who can do the job.... thats the theory anyway...

Employees don't look for head hunters.. Perhaps if you're lucky you might get a job as a waitress ...

Plus NY or SF? You obviously have NO idea where you want to be.. Hey sit back.. Someone will call you without a doubt, make sure they hand it to you on a plate, its obviously what you deserve..

best wishes from Texas..... btw - I do have a good job and dont need a head hunter....
Was that really necessary?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, having a bad day? You came out of retirement to share this bit of encouragement?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Mods - you may wish to try and give the OP a dose of realism or warn them about the journey ahead but is there really any need to be so nasty?

And how you can put 'best wishes from Texas' at the end of such a vicious post is beyond me.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:58 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Mod are far too kind to the tosser who has been here under a year
on a lowly L-1B...bleedin pipsqueak
Old Jun 24th 2008, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Mod are far too kind to the tosser who has been here under a year
on a lowly L-1B...bleedin pipsqueak
Aha!!!

The old guy is back!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by looselips
Bob is totally right.

There are enough people here to choose from at the moment that when you look at Europeans and consider the visa process it is not worth it in the long run no matter how qualified you are if you do not have the paperwork. I know the industry.
I've been in the industry myself for 25 years plus, and I can tell you that 'Good people are hard to find'. I've been looking to fill a position in my company for 3 months and candidates have been hard to come by. I'm about to pay about $30k in fees to hire someone through a recruiter; if I could get a European for (eg) a headhunter fee of $25k, and spend $5k on visa stuff, I'd be happy.

What is the total cost to an employer of going through the H1B visa process these days? I know that when I came here (on an H1B), then went through the Green Card process, the cost to the company for the Green Card part was estimated at $2-4k - not a lot in the scheme of things.

The trick is, to bypass the headhunter if you can. What I did, many years ago, was fly out here (to California/Silicon Valley) and camp out on a friend's floor, and call every company I could find. One company saw me, had done the H1B several times already, and considered me a bargain compared to using recruiters. Been here ever since ... yes, market is different now, but - as I said - good people are still hard to find.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:46 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I've been in the industry myself for 25 years plus, and I can tell you that 'Good people are hard to find'. I've been looking to fill a position in my company for 3 months and candidates have been hard to come by. I'm about to pay about $30k in fees to hire someone through a recruiter; if I could get a European for (eg) a headhunter fee of $25k, and spend $5k on visa stuff, I'd be happy.

What is the total cost to an employer of going through the H1B visa process these days? I know that when I came here (on an H1B), then went through the Green Card process, the cost to the company for the Green Card part was estimated at $2-4k - not a lot in the scheme of things.

The trick is, to bypass the headhunter if you can. What I did, many years ago, was fly out here (to California/Silicon Valley) and camp out on a friend's floor, and call every company I could find. One company saw me, had done the H1B several times already, and considered me a bargain compared to using recruiters. Been here ever since ... yes, market is different now, but - as I said - good people are still hard to find.
Problem with this plan is that H1b is now an annual lottery. In fact, you might as well sponsor them directly for an immigrant visa if you can squeeze the candidate into EB2 or higher since these are current and they would be working for you before the H1b lottery came from -- assuming they won the next draw.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

What is the total cost to an employer of going through the H1B visa process these days?
Around $6K plus lawyers fees, all in, that's if they got the visa, otherwise it's lost money.

The biggest chunk of the H1's are taken up by two Indian owned companies that snag 3/4 of the visa's as it is...
Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all

Dearest Tosser from Texas
It was a simple question but obviously someone asking simple questions riles simple people like you. As for insulting people's degrees that was incredibly witty of you.
I was actually writing on my husband's behalf. He's been recommended to find a headhunter from someone at Morgan Stanley in New York. We have never thought about the idea of going to the States before and after a few discussions we thought we'd see how it would go. If nothing came of the research so be it. Why New York and San Francisco? Well they are the two main centres for Financial services IT in the States.
Why I'm having to justify what I thought was an innocent enough question is beyond me.
I have always found this site helpful, people friendly and offering useful advice. To be fair we've never moved to the States before. We've been almost everywhere else.

If everyone is as negative as you maybe we'll think again.

What an ambassador for Texas.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

...He's been recommended to find a headhunter from someone at Morgan Stanley in New York...
He must have meant a recruiter...

Just a thought, if he's that hot in IT and fancies something a bit different, check out Burlington, Mass...it's in farting distance of Boston.

There's Autodesk, Dassault Systems, Symantec, Sophos, Oracle, Sap, Nokia, GM, AGFA, Google, Monster, Careerbuilder (Those last three aren't in Burlington, but close enough) etc.

I still wouldn't hold much hope of getting an H1 though, so wouldn't put your lives on hold for a move over, unless your able to get a transfer from working with one of those companies...oh, and there's also HSBC and a few other financials in beantown...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.