Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HDTV antenna with UK TV

HDTV antenna with UK TV

Old Mar 20th 2015, 8:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HDTV antenna with UK TV

Originally Posted by Michael
Undoubtedly so. I only meant to point out that a garden rake on the roof is going to be massively more effective than anything you place inside near the TV, and I linked to the first one I found.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

chuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud of

This was the antenna the local TV technician recommended me to buy (40 miles south of San Francisco transmitters). Apart from occasional interference on Fox Ch2, it has provided a great signal decoded by my Philips (US) TV.
Antennas Direct C2-V-CJM ClearStream 2-V
Amazon.com: Antennas Direct C2-V-CJM ClearStream 2-V Long Range UHF/VHF Indoor/Outdoor DTV Antenna with 20-Inch Mount: Electronics Amazon.com: Antennas Direct C2-V-CJM ClearStream 2-V Long Range UHF/VHF Indoor/Outdoor DTV Antenna with 20-Inch Mount: Electronics

I did try this box but returned it for a refund.
Amazon.com: Mediasonic HW180STB HomeWorx HDTV Digital Converter Box with Media Player Function, Dolby Digital and HDMI Out: Electronics Amazon.com: Mediasonic HW180STB HomeWorx HDTV Digital Converter Box with Media Player Function, Dolby Digital and HDMI Out: Electronics

Instead I use a Mac Mini with EyeTV 3 software and one of these to record shows:
Amazon.com: SiliconDust HDHomeRun CONNECT 2-Tuner ATSC DLNA/UPnP Compatible Streaming Media Player, HDHR4-2US: Electronics Amazon.com: SiliconDust HDHomeRun CONNECT 2-Tuner ATSC DLNA/UPnP Compatible Streaming Media Player, HDHR4-2US: Electronics
Old Mar 24th 2015, 10:53 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought
this this
. To see what happened.

I pinned it to the wall yesterday 6 feet up behind the TV facing, east which is luckily where most of the transmitters are, 25-30 miles away.

My TV found 32 channels, 22 are worth having, many are HD. NBC/ABC are a bit glitchy, Fox is missing (transmitter is directly behind another one from here) CBS is great. Also there is a house & big tree next to me and I am virtually at sea level. Good result for under a tenner I think. No idea if it will work with a UK Telly, mine is a Sony Bravia about 10 years old.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I just bought this. To see what happened.

I pinned it to the wall yesterday 6 feet up behind the TV facing, east which is luckily where most of the transmitters are, 25-30 miles away.

My TV found 32 channels, 22 are worth having, many are HD. NBC/ABC are a bit glitchy, Fox is missing (transmitter is directly behind another one from here) CBS is great. Also there is a house & big tree next to me and I am virtually at sea level. Good result for under a tenner I think. No idea if it will work with a UK Telly, mine is a Sony Bravia about 10 years old.
I think you should try to mount those on windows if possible since TV signals radiate through glass much better than walls. I see this one (or one if it variations) mounted on windows above the sliding glass doors in my condo complex in two different units and they are pointing at each other.

Without an external US RF tuner, it won't work with your UK TV.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 24th 2015 at 11:40 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 11:50 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I think you should try to mount those on windows if possible since TV signals radiate through glass much better than walls. I see this one mounted on windows above the sliding glass doors in my condo.

Without an external US RF tuner, it won't work with your UK TV.
You haven't seen my walls (Drywall & wood siding.)

Actually, I did try the window first, but it meant the antenna being a couple of feet lower, and further behind the adjacent house. The result was about the same, on a very cursory first couple of attempts.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 11:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: HDTV antenna with UK TV

.... I am virtually at sea level. ......
Isn't saying that redundant when you live in Florida?
Old Mar 25th 2015, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

You haven't seen my walls (Drywall & wood siding.)

Actually, I did try the window first, but it meant the antenna being a couple of feet lower, and further behind the adjacent house. The result was about the same, on a very cursory first couple of attempts.
I suspect this one would work well if you mounted it on edge of the roof at the highest point on the house. Back in the '70 (pre-cable), I had a motorized antenna mounted on my roof and it worked very well.

Amplified HD Digital Outdoor HDTV Antenna with Motorized 360 Degree Rotation Amplified HD Digital Outdoor HDTV Antenna with Motorized 360 Degree Rotation
Old Mar 25th 2015, 12:09 am
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Isn't saying that redundant when you live in Florida?
Geoff mentioned mountains... The info I read said the transmitter/s was at 900 ft. ASL, but I think that must be at the top of the tower!
Old Mar 25th 2015, 12:31 am

Geoff mentioned mountains... The info I read said the transmitter/s was at 900 ft. ASL, but I think that must be at the top of the tower!
If the base is at 900ft then it's not in Florida.