British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Hawaii, any1 out there to give some info?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hawaii-any1-out-there-give-some-info-302151/)

miss carol May 11th 2005 12:22 am

Hawaii, any1 out there to give some info??

Hiya,
I'm looking for some advice please. I'm travelling to Hawaii in november on route to emigrating to Australia. Only spending 5 nights, arriving & departing in Oahu. Trying to plan my trip and hoping for any help tips or advice. Can't deciede which other island to visit and if i should hire a car to tour around Oahu?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
carol

Chandler May 11th 2005 12:46 am

Re: Hawaii, any1 out there to give some info??

With only five days you should find enough on the Oahu to keep you interested. I wouldn’t recommend wasting time flying to and from another island, rather simply enjoy not being on a plane for a while.

Honolulu - have you been to an American city before, because if you have you have seen Honolulu. There isn't much to the place; if you are after a nice beachside hotel then it's got everything you need. If you are after something else then stay a day or two and move on.

Check out the North Shore, it's a bit more 'real' than Honolulu and has some stunning scenery and beaches.

Finally, I can't stress enough how important it is to visit Pearl Harbor. It was mainly paid for by the Japanese (the memorial, not the bombing which of course they also funded themselves!) and gives an excellent balanced view of events. Along with Alcatraz I've never been on a better tour. A must see.

miss carol May 11th 2005 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Chandler
With only five days you should find enough on the Oahu to keep you interested. I wouldn’t recommend wasting time flying to and from another island, rather simply enjoy not being on a plane for a while.

Honolulu - have you been to an American city before, because if you have you have seen Honolulu. There isn't much to the place; if you are after a nice beachside hotel then it's got everything you need. If you are after something else then stay a day or two and move on.

Check out the North Shore, it's a bit more 'real' than Honolulu and has some stunning scenery and beaches.

Finally, I can't stress enough how important it is to visit Pearl Harbor. It was mainly paid for by the Japanese (the memorial, not the bombing which of course they also funded themselves!) and gives an excellent balanced view of events. Along with Alcatraz I've never been on a better tour. A must see.

Thanks for the advice. I'm sitting here, mind numb searching for b&b's on the internet. have decided best to chill out at a beach somewhere on Ohau and importantly away from Honolulu. i had already decieded that and anyway i'll be travelling with more than the average backpac! Definenatly wanta see Pearl harbour and since it's november i'm there, does that mean i'll be there in time for the surfers!?
cheers for the reply
carol

bored-silly May 11th 2005 2:47 am

You should pm Tomelina and get him to forward you the email I sent him. Lots of info from my mom's club on there.

Bob May 11th 2005 2:54 am

Don't know if you noticed, but there was another thread about a holiday in hawaii a few days go that had some good info I think :)

rincewind May 11th 2005 3:01 am

Don't you know?

All us Expats live in Hawaii. We just lie and say we live in other places and bitch about it so that no-one else will know the good life :D

Keep it quiet and put Mississippi on your forum location when you get here ;)

Ssssshhhhhhhhhh......

TRPardoe May 11th 2005 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by miss carol
Thanks for the advice. I'm sitting here, mind numb searching for b&b's on the internet. have decided best to chill out at a beach somewhere on Ohau and importantly away from Honolulu. i had already decieded that and anyway i'll be travelling with more than the average backpac! Definenatly wanta see Pearl harbour and since it's november i'm there, does that mean i'll be there in time for the surfers!?
cheers for the reply
carol

If you are there in November you should be ok for watching the surfing on the North Shore. The really big waves are caused by ocean swells from the evil winter weather in the far north Pacific.

Take a pair of binoculars and a long zoom lens if you want to get a good look at the people riding the big waves. They may be quite a way off shore.

ZimBabe May 19th 2005 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by miss carol
Hiya,
I'm looking for some advice please. I'm travelling to Hawaii in november on route to emigrating to Australia. Only spending 5 nights, arriving & departing in Oahu. Trying to plan my trip and hoping for any help tips or advice. Can't deciede which other island to visit and if i should hire a car to tour around Oahu?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
carol

Hi,

I have just come back from a 10 night stay in Waikiki, Oahu. I had a fantastic time even though I went by myself. I can thoroughly recommend www.discounthotelshawaii.com I wouldn't bother searching for B&B's etc. Just e-mail or phone these people (E-mail got quoted $70 per night, phoned got quoted $60 per night).

I booked into Ohana East which is 1.5 blocks from Waikiki beach, I paid $60+11.5% tax per night for a standard room. I got upgraded from the 2nd to 17th floor when I arrived as they weren't busy and got fantastic, pool, sea and mountain views. The hotel was so convenient for everything and relatively quiet on the 17th floor. Check out www.tripadvisor.com for reviews of hotels in Oahu.

I went snorkelling at Hanauma Bay, took a boat trip with BBQ and sea activities encluded, went to the flea market, zoo, Polynesian Cultural Centre and did loads of shopping. No real need to hire a car because everything is within walking or bus distance. You can also go on day trips with tour operators which aren't that expensive, these include Grand circle tour of the island, Pearl Harbour, Dole pineapple plantation tour the list is endless.

If you need any further info, just let me know. Have a great time.