Hawaii

Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hawaii

We're thinking of going to Hawaii and I'm looking for info. So lets here it, who's been? Where did you go? When did you go? What did you like? What did you dislike? Stuff like that.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hawaii

In Sept. 2005 we spent two weeks on Maui. Loved every minute of it. We stayed at the Sheraton on Kaanapali Beach. Beautiful grounds, quiet hotel. It's one of the older hotels on that strip, so it isn't as fancy as the Hyatt. It was perfect for us. On Maui we liked the balance of there being places to go, things to do, along with being able to quietly relax by the pool or ocean. Recommended activites: going to Hana (we took a tour bus), driving to the top of Haleakala (we didn't do the sunrise thing, though), Old Lahaina Luau (sells out well in advance so book EARLY), snorkeling at Black Rock (lots of fish, dolphins, turtles, rays, and it's free). Drawbacks: long flight to get there, very expensive. I strongly suggest going during off season, far fewer crowds.

Last edited by Bill_S; Jan 7th 2008 at 4:27 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
In Sept. 2005 we spent two weeks on Maui. Loved every minute of it. We stayed at the Sheraton on Kaanapali Beach. Beautiful grounds, quiet hotel. It's one of the older hotels on that strip, so it isn't as fancy as the Hyatt. It was perfect for us. On Maui we liked the balance of there being places to go, things to do, along with being able to quietly relax by the pool or ocean. Recommended activites: going to Hana (we took a tour bus), driving to the top of Haleakala (we didn't do the sunrise thing, though), Old Lahaina Luau (sells out well in advance so book EARLY), snorkeling at Black Rock (lots of fish, dolphins, turtles, rays, and it's free). Drawbacks: long flight to get there, very expensive. I strongly suggest going during off season, far fewer crowds.
We stayed at the Westin next door and loved every minute. Very relaxing. Weather is lovely all year round. Had a couple of nights in Waikiki too - have to do it, pearl harbor and all - but much more commercialized
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:10 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I've been a few times on business and pleasure.

Oahu-Honolulu. Big US city that just happens to be on the ocean. Walmarts, Home Depots, buses, cabs--like any other big US city. Waikiki is nice, but very commercialized. I used to stay at a place down around Diamond Head called the New Otani which was nice as it was off the beaten path. Have also stayed at the Royal Hawaiian which is kind of older, historical.

If you go to Oahu, recommend a trip to the North Shore to see the big waves, pineapples farms, and to get some fresh shrimp from the 'shrimp vans' that park on the side of the road (really good). Also check out Hanauma bay where you can snorkel with the fish.

Maui. Second most commercialized island, on the west side. The east side is still rugged. There is a road across the North side of the island with about 350 turns. Fill up with gas and take a trip through the jungle. Stop at a black sand beach as well.

Kauai--the garden island. Very relaxing and beautiful and green. Helicopter trips through the valleys are pretty impressive.

The Big Island (Hawaii). Like visiting the moon. Quite large and desolate areas where the lava was recently flowing. A few nice quaint towns and if the volcano is flowing it is worth seeing the lava.

Fly off peak and try to upgrade your seats. It's a pretty big hike -- 8 or 9 hours from Chicago I think.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:02 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to Maui twice. Stayed at the Hyatt and then a Condo on the golf course abit further up the road.

I'm a water baby, so to me Maui, is paradise. Windsurf, kitesurf, canoe, scuba, snorkel I do it all!

It can be expensive, but when we took the family on the 2nd trip, you can do it on a budget, no problem at all. We always hire a car, they is so much to see and the best beaches are towards the airport (opposite side from the Hotels). Kanaha, Ho'okipa, Sprecks etc.

The first time we went the biggest wave in the world was breaking (has to be seen from the cliffs of the pineapple fields)....I spoke with Laird Hamilton (chap from the American Express card commercials) and Rush Randle (another famous waterman) about going out in the killer surf.

The sunset booze cruise and Molokini snorkel are a must.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:55 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
We stayed at the Westin next door and loved every minute. Very relaxing. Weather is lovely all year round. Had a couple of nights in Waikiki too - have to do it, pearl harbor and all - but much more commercialized
We stayed at the Westin, Maui, in March a couple of years ago. Gorgeous pool area We rented a convertible, which was great for the drive to Hana. The drive through the rain forest is beautiful. We had great weather in March, not too hot (still humid though).
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
We're thinking of going to Hawaii and I'm looking for info. So lets here it, who's been? Where did you go? When did you go? What did you like? What did you dislike? Stuff like that.
Oahu - Honolulu is a crazy big city, but worth a day or so ... some beautiful beaches and scenery on the rest of the island.

Maui - also very beautiful - lots to do - a bit touristy for my taste. If you do go - be sure to see "Warren and Annabelle's" - it's a fabulous magic/comedy show. (and wave at my cousin)

Molokai - like Hawaii was 50 years ago.

Hawaii (the big island) - if volcanoes are your thing - this is the island. Kona has the most to do for tourists.

Kauai - my personal favorite. The most beautiful I thought, less touristy than Oahu and Maui.

It largely depends on what kind of trip you prefer, what you like to do, etc. You're going to have a fabulous time no matter where you go.