Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Having seconds thoughts on USA (after 5 years in NYC)

Having seconds thoughts on USA (after 5 years in NYC)

Old Jul 6th 2017, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having seconds thoughts on USA (after 5 years in NYC)

Originally Posted by lansbury
Comparing Chester to NYC is a bit like comparing Chester to London. Neither are going to compare very well.
Exactly. NYC, LA and Seattle to I would only compare to London.

Originally Posted by Smartyy
From what I remember in Portland is plenty of homelessness. Lots of hippies too.
Yes it is, my inlaws went there last yr and while waiting outside VooDoo Donuts, a homeless woman started hurling abuse at the queue!

To the OP: As others have said, firstly you can't compare NYC to Chester and secondly, while that's a pretty photo you posted, the reality is it won't be like that because those houses are expensive and we all know sun is a rarity in the UK

I moved to the US last year and until recently was living in central WA state (about 2hrs SE of Seattle). While the climate was great, the town was isolated and very un-scenic (crusty brown desert) with little to do and lots of gang violence. I got a job in Indiana and moved here last month and I love it. We get a bit more rain obviously but it's a lot more pleasant area and has a small town country feel with the benefit of big cities relatively close by. I spent part of my honeymoon in NYC so have an idea of what you are talking about but before you head back to the UK I would suggest if possible trying another part of the country. That's the joy of the US, is it is so big that most people find somewhere they like.

I hope that helps.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 9:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike
I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I lived in NYC for 4 years (in Manhattan) and completely understand all of your points. NYC is not a true reflection of the rest of the country. I moved to Northern Virginia 2 years ago (about 30 minutes outside of DC) and it's a whole new world. All of the things that you miss can be found here (or in many other places that are not NYC). You should spend more time out of the city, visiting the rest of the US and figure out a strategy to move out of NYC.
He is not living in NYC. He lives in New Jersey. Only commutes to New York for work. There is a vast difference between living in NYC and just working in NYC. You go home at the end of the day to a nice suburb with fresher air, less congestion, etc. You are not surrounded with homeless people on every street or panhandlers, etc.

I started working in NYC in 1966 and retired in 2015. I lived outside of NYC in the suburbs on a quiet street in an apartment where I could walk to a variety of restaurants and coffee shops, or to a pub or bar, go to church services of three different denominations if I so choose, was within a 20 minute drive of the Long Island Sound and great beaches or 10 minutes from the Hudson River with great restaurants and parks for picnics or sitting under a tree contemplating my navel, a 2 hour drive to the Berkshire Mountains in MA and 3 minutes from the Metro North Train Station for a trip into mid-town Manhattan.

I fully understand that he misses the UK and his hometown and his lifestyle there. And I fully understand being unhappy where you landed and the desire to recapture what you feel you have lost. I suppose a lot depends on where you can find employment of the caliber that will afford you the lifestyle you are seeking and if that area has a small town close by that will ease your melancholy. Only he needs to realize that he might find that small town in Massachusetts but he would still be commuting daily to a major city where there are lots of homeless, crime, dirt, crowds, etc. He will just be swapping NYC for Boston and a small town in NJ for a small town in MA.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 6th 2017 at 9:35 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 9:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britinusa777777755
Bit of background
From a beautiful place in the UK (Chester), I've been around the NYC area for over 5 years. When I first arrived I had stars in my eyes, enjoyed the city and the people, I did not see any negatives at all.

Now 5 years on, I have started to notice and see all of the negatives: ....
How come it took you five years to work out that New York wasn't for you? ..... It took us less than six months.

We packed everything we had into a Penske truck fifteen years ago last week and left, and the only time I have been back is for a handful of business trips. I wouldn't entirely rule out returning temporarily (for a few years), but it would have to be for several times my current salary, which is unlikely but not impossible.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

britinusa777777755 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
He is not living in NYC. He lives in New Jersey. Only commutes to New York for work. There is a vast difference between living in NYC and just working in NYC. You go home at the end of the day to a nice suburb with fresher air, less congestion, etc. You are not surrounded with homeless people on every street or panhandlers, etc.

I started working in NYC in 1966 and retired in 2015. I lived outside of NYC in the suburbs on a quiet street in an apartment where I could walk to a variety of restaurants and coffee shops, or to a pub or bar, go to church services of three different denominations if I so choose, was within a 20 minute drive of the Long Island Sound and great beaches or 10 minutes from the Hudson River with great restaurants and parks for picnics or sitting under a tree contemplating my navel, a 2 hour drive to the Berkshire Mountains in MA and 3 minutes from the Metro North Train Station for a trip into mid-town Manhattan.

I fully understand that he misses the UK and his hometown and his lifestyle there. And I fully understand being unhappy where you landed and the desire to recapture what you feel you have lost. I suppose a lot depends on where you can find employment of the caliber that will afford you the lifestyle you are seeking and if that area has a small town close by that will ease your melancholy. Only he needs to realize that he might find that small town in Massachusetts but he would still be commuting daily to a major city where there are lots of homeless, crime, dirt, crowds, etc. He will just be swapping NYC for Boston and a small town in NJ for a small town in MA.
Moved to NJ after 3 years in NYC, quality of life have improved since. Far better apartment and neighbors. All my neighbours pay the market rent, instead of a mix of section 8/rent controlled and full paying tenants.

I'm under the impression that Boston MA is quieter, cleaner, smaller and has less of a homeless problem than NYC? Therefore the lifestyle would a little different from living in a commuter town of NYC? Perhaps I am mistaken ?
Old Jul 6th 2017, 10:31 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Moved to NJ after 3 years in NYC, quality of life have improved since. Far better apartment and neighbors. All my neighbours pay the market rent, instead of a mix of section 8/rent controlled and full paying tenants.

I'm under the impression that Boston MA is quieter, cleaner, smaller and has less of a homeless problem than NYC? Therefore the lifestyle would a little different from living in a commuter town of NYC? Perhaps I am mistaken ?
Boston may not have as many homeless people as NYC, but I believe that, when related to the size of the population, it has a higher number. People are hurting-- you are going to find the homeless everywhere.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

britinusa777777755 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Boston may not have as many homeless people as NYC, but I believe that, when related to the size of the population, it has a higher number. People are hurting-- you are going to find the homeless everywhere.

Hmmm I might have to consider the lifestyle of working and living in NJ (Paramus/Mahwah) or MA (Cambridge etc). Enjoying the city itself off peak on weekends (museums, restaurants and events etc).
Old Jul 6th 2017, 11:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

What I miss about England in no specific order:
Country pubs next to canals and sitting outside
Walks in the countryside through fields etc
Mountain biking (I know this can be done in the US too, but I had easier access in the UK)
Less emphasis on status, car and wealth
Smaller streets and less highways / noise
More walkable downtowns in most towns and cities (New England might have this too?)
Nicer drivers
Free beaches
Free camping (Scotland)
Less billboards (I know some states like Vermont don't have billboards though)
Less homelessness
Less noise generally in public spaces
A lot of your list are mutually exclusive - you want more walkable down towns and less noise, and yet some are inconsistent with life in any G10, or probably G20 country, or more.
Cities attract homeless people, they just do.

At the moment your list looks like a list of reasons to leave the US, and some of the problems you identify will be no better in the UK, and I guarantee that if you return to the UK it won't be as fabulous as you remember it.

Some things will be better if you return to the UK. Some will be better if you move to Boston, or somewhere in New England, other things will be better if you head south, or to the West Coast, but much as I hate to be the bearer of bad news, you can't have it all!
Old Jul 6th 2017, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

All I saw in that picture of Chester was horrible clouds. That's what living in SoCal does

Sounds like you just need a change. And that doesn't have to be a change back.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of background
From a beautiful place in the UK (Chester), I've been around the NYC area for over 5 years. When I first arrived I had stars in my eyes, enjoyed the city and the people, I did not see any negatives at all.

Now 5 years on, I have started to notice and see all of the negatives:
1. Homelessness
2. Rude people in a rush everywhere, roads, supermarkets everywhere. No patience at all.
3. Bad roads, filthy streets and subways
4. Atrocious quality public schools only mitigated by living in the highest cost areas of NJ/Westchester
5. Unbelievable cost of daycare
6. High crime
7. Outside of Manhattan in areas such as Northern NJ some of the above problems disappear, however there are other problems, wider streets, faster traffic, lack of walkable downtowns/community and long commutes to work.
8. Obsession with consumerism and status

At the current moment, the only advantage I can see with the USA is the higher earning potential over the UK and the larger houses. Whether this can yield a better lifestyle overall remains to be seen at least for me.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there are other parts of the USA that I can achieve my personal ideal American dream lifestyle. Perhaps historic Boston MA is suitable? Has anybody had the same thoughts as me here and gone through the same process?

This is photo of Chester, England taken from Google Images
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5245/...5981d4a3_o.jpg
A lot of that applies to San Francisco, but I love it.
Although I live in he burbs, I get into the City as often as I can.

Having seconds thoughts on USA (after 5 years in NYC)-san-francisco-70s003.jpg
Old Jul 7th 2017, 11:06 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of background

Now 5 years on, I have started to notice and see all of the negatives:
1. Homelessness
2. Rude people in a rush everywhere, roads, supermarkets everywhere. No patience at all.
3. Bad roads, filthy streets and subways
4. Atrocious quality public schools only mitigated by living in the highest cost areas of NJ/Westchester
5. Unbelievable cost of daycare
6. High crime
7. Outside of Manhattan in areas such as Northern NJ some of the above problems disappear, however there are other problems, wider streets, faster traffic, lack of walkable downtowns/community and long commutes to work.
8. Obsession with consumerism and status

At the current moment, the only advantage I can see with the USA is the higher earning potential over the UK and the larger houses. Whether this can yield a better lifestyle overall remains to be seen at least for me.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there are other parts of the USA that I can achieve my personal ideal American dream lifestyle. Perhaps historic Boston MA is suitable? Has anybody had the same thoughts as me here and gone through the same process?

This is photo of Chester, England taken from Google Images
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5245/...5981d4a3_o.jpg
Sounds like NYC
Old Jul 7th 2017, 11:09 am

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I have found 1-5 and number 8, equally applies to Portland on the other side of the country. We don't have filthy subways, just an inefficient transit system. I just accept that the higher salary will allow my to retire at some point, whereas in the UK retirement is just a dream for many.
I-5 shouldn't bother you much...US 26 (sunset hwy) is a horror.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 11:12 am

That is sad that you are finding those problems with Portland

I was hoping that a smaller place like Portland would not been like that at all. I went to Boston MA for a weekend and it seemed far less rushed than NYC also more upscale generally, although it was just for the weekend.
While Portland isn't NYC or LA is isn't exactly small town. The metro population is about 2.4 million.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 1:37 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

It's very easy to develop a whimsical and romantic idea of the U.K. once you've left. This is not my first time leaving the U.K. to live somewhere else. When I was 19 I packed up and went back to Germany (where I had spent most of my younger childhood) thinking it would be the same. It wasn't. It had changed - and that's not just because I arrived just as they were pulling the Wall down. It was easy to find fault with things and think to myself "it wouldn't be like that in England" and start to miss things. So after 7 years I packed up again and moved back to England. The first few months were fantastic. Then reality set in and it was nothing like I had remembered. And I'd only been gone 7 years. Work later sent me to Asia and it was the same all over again.

You seem to have a fondness for the more typical, traditional English way of life - chocolate-box villages, local pubs with friendly regulars, country lanes and so on. A woman (American) that I work with here went to the U.K. last month on holiday. Although she found some places that fitted your ideal (and we all know they do still exist) she was disappointed at how American everyone and everything is trying to be over there. She looked for pubs with traditional fayre and whilst she was occasionally successful, a large number are now owned by chain franchises with a standard menu of burgers and "fries" across the board, small, independent shops are closing and everything is moving to out of town shopping parks, etc. In my final months in the U.K. I noticed a lot of new housing being built in the local area that all has that same look that you see here - that sort of clapboard-effect. And don't get me started on how they have seized Black Friday over there. Lots of people who've been to Florida once or twice and now think they're half-American, talking about watching "movies" and "hanging out", and if I had a pound for every time I heard "awesome!" in my last six months there... You can't even buy a normal fridge there now - everywhere is selling what they call "American fridges" with double doors on the front. We don't even have one of those here.

In short, I think you're going to be disappointed. England has changed, and not in the direction you may have wanted it to. But this country is so big and so diverse there is probably something to suit you somewhere. I'm in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest and when I watch the news and they report from Miami or New York or Dallas it's hard to believe it's the same country. I remember visiting one Thanksgiving and we were with the in-laws near Spokane and it was minus 26. I stepped outside and felt like the insides of my lungs were freezing over. Got inside and the TV was on and some event in Miami Beach was being shown and everyone was in swimwear, lounging on the beach. Spend some time finding the right spot for you. There's a lot more to here than the northeast corner.

Last edited by Twinkle0927; Jul 7th 2017 at 1:40 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 2:17 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
It's very easy to develop a whimsical and romantic idea of the U.K. once you've left. This is not my first time leaving the U.K. to live somewhere else. When I was 19 I packed up and went back to Germany (where I had spent most of my younger childhood) thinking it would be the same. It wasn't. It had changed - and that's not just because I arrived just as they were pulling the Wall down. It was easy to find fault with things and think to myself "it wouldn't be like that in England" and start to miss things. So after 7 years I packed up again and moved back to England. The first few months were fantastic. Then reality set in and it was nothing like I had remembered. And I'd only been gone 7 years. Work later sent me to Asia and it was the same all over again.
Well put! I would add that not just are the places we go "back" to not the same, we ourselves are not the same. As we move around and grow up our life experiences change us, The things that used to charm us may now aggravate us and vice versa. As with most of those who have responded to the OP I would recommend trying somewhere different within the USA before moving "back home".
Old Jul 7th 2017, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

New York has a reputation among Americans for being extremely fast-paced and hustle bustle, with rude people always in a rush. It also used to have a reputation for exceptionally high crime rates though that has faded in the public consciousness; the reverse with prices (it wasn't seen as extraordinarily pricey until about the last 15 years or so).

It had an extended run as the "hot city" seemingly all young American millennials wanted to move to, though that has stopped, for many of the reasons you alluded to in your post. Many are trying smaller mega-cities like Boston or Philadelphia instead.

I find the state of the public transport and subway system shocking - it looks like it hasn't been updated in 100 years - and find it astounding that such a system could exist in a country as rich as the US.

I found homelessness to be a much more visible problem on the West Coast than the East Coast.

Nothing wrong with having wandering eyes. I would consider different parts of the country as well besides just the Northeast. Let me be contrarian and throw a few outside-the-box suggestions out there: Have you considered a place like Nashville or Jacksonville? If you can get past the stereotypes of the South a lot of Brits have, there are good deals and lifestyles to be had there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.