Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Having seconds thoughts on USA (after 5 years in NYC)

Having seconds thoughts on USA (after 5 years in NYC)

Old Jul 5th 2017, 9:20 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having seconds thoughts on USA (after 5 years in NYC)

Originally Posted by britinusa777777755
I understand your point of view as well, NYC is a massive city with unlimited restaurant choices, Broadway shows, a world class city with the largest downtown in the USA by far.

For me personally though I'd trade all that, for better accommodation, access to nature, less stressful commute, nicer drivers, less hectic grocery stores and a clean smaller city. With the ability/funds to still vacation in NYC, London etc. Each to their own I guess.
Sounds like Fairfield County -- with the exception of the easier commute, that is!
Old Jul 5th 2017, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

A warning about the Boston burbs. They are really nice, but have very high property taxes (and property prices). I know my MIL and FIL find it expensive living there. They retired with a few pensions between them (both get a social security pension and FIL has two work pensions including one from the US postal service) but MIL has had to go back to work full time and she's 72 now. I think it costs them $1000 a month just for health care and property tax. As someone hoping to retire, take my small company pension and then go back to the same job on two days a week aged 53 (by then) in a few months, the thought of full time for another twenty years makes me feel physically sick!
Old Jul 5th 2017, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

london_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed all your negatives (apart from daycare) while visiting NYC before I moved. I previously lived in W London and most applied there too.

What do you miss about England? I came for a 2 year stay so it wasn't an issue, but couldn't live in the US forever because I'd miss the history and proximity to the rest of Europe. I'd be better off financially but so what? The US has great natural beauty in the west but the urban areas, inc Boston, do nothing for me.

The Brits I've met who don't want to go back either came at a young age or aren't the type of people I'd have much in common with at home.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

britinusa777777755 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by london_calling
I noticed all your negatives (apart from daycare) while visiting NYC before I moved. I previously lived in W London and most applied there too.

What do you miss about England? I came for a 2 year stay so it wasn't an issue, but couldn't live in the US forever because I'd miss the history and proximity to the rest of Europe. I'd be better off financially but so what? The US has great natural beauty in the west but the urban areas, inc Boston, do nothing for me.

The Brits I've met who don't want to go back either came at a young age or aren't the type of people I'd have much in common with at home.
What I miss about England in no specific order:
Country pubs next to canals and sitting outside
Walks in the countryside through fields etc
Mountain biking (I know this can be done in the US too, but I had easier access in the UK)
Less emphasis on status, car and wealth
Smaller streets and less highways / noise
More walkable downtowns in most towns and cities (New England might have this too?)
Nicer drivers
Free beaches
Free camping (Scotland)
Less billboards (I know some states like Vermont don't have billboards though)
Less homelessness
Less noise generally in public spaces
Old Jul 6th 2017, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to live in the country, or at the very least on the outskirts of a town.
I'm sure people will be along with suggestions... "Nicer drivers" made me laugh. That certainly doesn't apply where I am!
Old Jul 6th 2017, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

What I miss about England in no specific order:
Country pubs next to canals and sitting outside
Walks in the countryside through fields etc
Mountain biking (I know this can be done in the US too, but I had easier access in the UK)
Less emphasis on status, car and wealth
Smaller streets and less highways / noise
More walkable downtowns in most towns and cities (New England might have this too?)
Nicer drivers
Free beaches
Free camping (Scotland)
Less billboards (I know some states like Vermont don't have billboards though)
Less homelessness
Less noise generally in public spaces
I simply don't think that you can compare an American city to England in general.

For example, I saw more homeless people back in Sheffield than I do round here.

And also, England... beaches? The "beaches" of the UK are far different to the beaches that line the USA.

The commute on the drive from my old place to work in the UK was just as bad, if not worse than the one I have here. There were also a lot of emphasis on status and cars with people buying far too big cars for the small roads and parking spaces.

If you want less highway noise then move to a suburb. The street outside my house is 15mph and I don't hear a thing.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your response, nice to hear that somewhere so nice such as SoCal is comparatively affordable.

Currently living in NJ, need to be based near NYC for work reasons at the moment. In approx one year, I could consider other places in the USA. All my family is back in the UK, no ties in NYC.
Where in NJ are you? There are some amazing commuter towns that are walking towns, Summit, Millburn, Madison, Morristown is a great town for the young and single. All have lovely restaurants and nice community spirit. I am sorry you are having a tough time.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Michele11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally understand you, I live in NYC and I get why people love the city when you come as a visitor or vacation in it but it's a whole different thing when you actually live in it.

I've done it for the last 3 years and for my personal taste I find it too hectic and agree with many of the things you don't like, my brother just move to massachusetts 1 month ago and so far he says he likes it a lot and dont ever want to come back to NYC.

USA it's a big country and I think if you take time to explore or ask around, or google info and with your list of yes and no, you can settle and find something more suitable for your personality.

Good luck!☺
Old Jul 6th 2017, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ecto17
Where in NJ are you? There are some amazing commuter towns that are walking towns, Summit, Millburn, Madison, Morristown is a great town for the young and single. All have lovely restaurants and nice community spirit. I am sorry you are having a tough time.
Not too tough of a time ! Bit homesick for the UK and also work is not too great either. In North Jersey (Bergen County) now commute isn't too bad. I do really like some of the towns and could live in many of them.

My favorite towns near NYC so far are Tenafly and Montclair. High Bridge is actually amazing too but a bit far for commuting to NYC.

Thanks for those recommendations I'll have to visit those ! Been to Morristown it was nice.

Where are you based right now ?

Last edited by britinusa777777755; Jul 6th 2017 at 2:38 am.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Michele11
I totally understand you, I live in NYC and I get why people love the city when you come as a visitor or vacation in it but it's a whole different thing when you actually live in it.

I've done it for the last 3 years and for my personal taste I find it too hectic and agree with many of the things you don't like, my brother just move to massachusetts 1 month ago and so far he says he likes it a lot and dont ever want to come back to NYC.

USA it's a big country and I think if you take time to explore or ask around, or google info and with your list of yes and no, you can settle and find something more suitable for your personality.

Good luck!☺
Thanks I'll have to check out some towns in MA and compare the lifestyle to NJ and UK. I have heard Newburyport is an amazing place to live near Boston
Old Jul 6th 2017, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Not too tough of a time ! Bit homesick for the UK and also work is not too great either. In North Jersey (Bergen County) now commute isn't too bad. I do really like some of the towns and could live in many of them.

My favorite towns near NYC so far are Tenafly and Montclair. High Bridge is actually amazing too but a bit far for commuting to NYC.

Where are you based right now ?
At the moment we are on the edge of Madison but in temp accommodation. Really love it around here, has a lot of what l loved about living in the Home Counties in the U.K., i.e. walking towns, communities, and easy access into a large city. If you haven't already do check out Morristown. Have heard that Montclair is lovely thou. Do understand the city life especially with a commute on top can be a grind at times.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll be surprised how much has changed (and gone massively downhill) in the UK over the past 5 years.
It's a little unfair to compare sleepy Chester to New York City? Completely different in every aspect.
We're moving to New York from Central London in October and I can't wait however i'm going from one busy city to another. Everything thats wrong with New York is as equally as wrong in London.
Everywhere isn't perfect you just have to decide on what issues you can live with and what you can't.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I understand your point of view as well, NYC is a massive city with unlimited restaurant choices, Broadway shows, a world class city with the largest downtown in the USA by far.

For me personally though I'd trade all that, for better accommodation, access to nature, less stressful commute, nicer drivers, less hectic grocery stores and a clean smaller city. With the ability/funds to still vacation in NYC, London etc. Each to their own I guess.
I lived in Richmond, VA, and that pretty much ticks all your boxes especially for affordable accommodation and easy access to nature (10 minute drive from suburbs into farming/countryside, 90 minutes to coast or mountains). 2 hours to DC for museums. Nice airport that has plenty of connections to the hubs of the main airlines, so easy to get to/from anywhere else. It's also got a vibrant "old town" area with plenty of restaurants and bars.

There are several other smaller cities on the East Coast that would meet your requirements too, like Charlotte or Charlottesville.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with that sentiment, however at least for 1 year. My only options for living are places within commuting distance from NYC or the UK. Sometimes that means that I equate NYC/USA.

Do you like it in GA?
Yes, I love GA. I'm away from the crowds but close enough to everything I need, including Atlanta airport. Super friendly people/neighbors who will do anything to help in a time of need. The negatives: the humidity and the crazy driving.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I lived in NYC for 4 years (in Manhattan) and completely understand all of your points. NYC is not a true reflection of the rest of the country. I moved to Northern Virginia 2 years ago (about 30 minutes outside of DC) and it's a whole new world. All of the things that you miss can be found here (or in many other places that are not NYC). You should spend more time out of the city, visiting the rest of the US and figure out a strategy to move out of NYC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.