Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Having a baby in the US - on E2 visa

Having a baby in the US - on E2 visa

Old May 13th 2008, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

ShelleyMan will become famous soon enough
Default Having a baby in the US - on E2 visa

Hi - just wondering if anyone has any info for me. I've been in the US for four years on an E2 visa. I'm thinking about having a baby, understand that the baby will get US citizenship plus ours so it could have dual, but would it make it any easier for us to become Green Card Holders - not looking for citizenship. I've heard that when the child turns 21 it could sponsor us - that's a long time to wait!

If not I guess we just have to keep on going with our E2's.

Thanks
Old May 13th 2008, 5:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a baby in the US - on E2 visa

A US citzen must be 21+ years old to petition their parents for Permanent Residency.
If that is too long, it's too long.
Old May 13th 2008, 6:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Some E-2 people have actually planned just that ...
Old May 13th 2008, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
Some E-2 people have actually planned just that ...
I can believe that. However it was not our plan, just thinking it's time to start the family before it's too late. E2 is great, but as husband can't travel as works 7 days a week, it's a problem when I try to go home to see family, they will not do my visa unless he has his, as he's the primary visa holder. So had to cancel trip home. Then husband had to go home for a family emergency where he got his visa to come back to the US and then I was able to travel to see family and got my new visa. So really would be great to have perm residence so we don't have to go through this again in two years time.
Old May 13th 2008, 6:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShelleyMan
I can believe that. However it was not our plan, just thinking it's time to start the family before it's too late. E2 is great, but as husband can't travel as works 7 days a week, it's a problem when I try to go home to see family, they will not do my visa unless he has his, as he's the primary visa holder. So had to cancel trip home. Then husband had to go home for a family emergency where he got his visa to come back to the US and then I was able to travel to see family and got my new visa. So really would be great to have perm residence so we don't have to go through this again in two years time.
You totally cnofused me there ...
presuming you are not the jioint E-2 holder but a accompanying spouse
you can come and go no problem ..
Old May 13th 2008, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
You totally cnofused me there ...
presuming you are not the jioint E-2 holder but a accompanying spouse
you can come and go no problem ..
Nope not the joint E2 holder, it's my husband and his dad, so I'm the accompanying spouse. I can travel as much as I like without him so long has his visa is still valid, otherwise they will not issue me one to return to the US. When I contacted the US embassy to have the visa re-issued, they said they were not able to do it unless my husbands was valid and then they would not issue for any time longer than his was valid. So when he finally got his, I had to take copies of his before they would issue mine.
Old May 13th 2008, 6:23 pm
Ray

Nope not the joint E2 holder, it's my husband and his dad, so I'm the accompanying spouse. I can travel as much as I like without him so long has his visa is still valid, otherwise they will not issue me one to return to the US. When I contacted the US embassy to have the visa re-issued, they said they were not able to do it unless my husbands was valid and then they would not issue for any time longer than his was valid. So when he finally got his, I had to take copies of his before they would issue mine.
Oh I see ..his of course has to be current
if its your second or more visa ...its probably five years now ..
Old May 13th 2008, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
Oh I see ..his of course has to be current
if its your second or more visa ...its probably five years now ..
Yes they gave my husband a five year one, but only gave me a two year one - typical! thanks for all your help. Oh just seen that my work permit has doubled in price as well - the joys!
Old May 13th 2008, 6:36 pm
Ray

Yes they gave my husband a five year one, but only gave me a two year one - typical! thanks for all your help. Oh just seen that my work permit has doubled in price as well - the joys!
somrthing like $340 ... get back to work ...
Old May 13th 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
somrthing like $340 ... get back to work ...
That's me definitely not going back to work then
Old May 13th 2008, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by denzil75
That's me definitely not going back to work then
Yes it's crazy and I bet they will only give me a one year one again - there goes my tax refund!