British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   haven't a clue! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/havent-clue-248553/)

chelly Aug 13th 2004 3:03 pm

haven't a clue!

undefinedundefined :scared:
hi!

I hope there are people out there who can help! I have to travel in the near future to NJ to help elderly relatives. I am a UK resident and have not the first clue about the following:

1. Healthcare provision
2. Funerals
3. Car hire
4. legal requirements to drive costs etc
5. buying and establishng a PC
6. many more too numerous think this is a lot to ask!

anyway if you do have anything to say that will point me in the right direction, I have been trawling the net to nonavail!

thanks anyway
chelly :)

Manc Aug 13th 2004 3:18 pm

Re: haven't a clue!

Originally Posted by chelly
undefinedundefined :scared:
hi!

I hope there are people out there who can help! I have to travel in the near future to NJ to help elderly relatives. I am a UK resident and have not the first clue about the following:

1. Healthcare provision
2. Funerals
3. Car hire

anyway if you do have anything to say that will point me in the right direction, I have been trawling the net to nonavail!

thanks anyway
chelly :)

how long you going for?

James Box Aug 13th 2004 3:34 pm

1. Healthcare provision

For you or your relatives?

2. Funerals

Is this likely soon?

3. Car hire

Shouldn't be a problem with a valid UK licence

Not a problem for a visit, may get costly. Talk to car hire firms that also operate in the US (Avis, Enterprise, Hertz etc)

If you don't have one already, get a laptop. Easy to carry around and can be used in both countries. It will be cheaper in the US, but you'll also have a US keyboard (no £ key)

Staying longer than 90 days? Planning on working? You'll need a visa.

chelly Aug 13th 2004 4:02 pm

funeral could be soon but have no idea, healthcare is for Us residents and hopefully no me! thanks to all for reply much appreciated, should be less than 90 days! :)

James Box Aug 13th 2004 4:14 pm

funeral could be soon but have no idea, healthcare is for Us residents and hopefully no me! thanks to all for reply much appreciated, should be less than 90 days! :)

I'm not really an expert yet on healthcare, although I'm working in the industry. (Its a very complex system for someone who has grown up with the NHS!) I presume that they already know about their own healthcare cover..?

It depends on if they are still being covered by private health insurance, or maybe they have to rely on Medicaid?

This is the New Jersey health care site which may help you:
http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/

NC Penguin Aug 13th 2004 5:13 pm

Sounds like you'll be entering on a Visa Waiver but from your description of what you'll be doing in the US, you're not really going as a visitor. You'll be providing services that are employable.

Just prepare yourself for a hard time at Immigration at the POE.

James Box Aug 13th 2004 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Sounds like you'll be entering on a Visa Waiver but from your description of what you'll be doing in the US, you're not really going as a visitor. You'll be providing services that are employable.

She won't be getting paid for it though.

All she has to say at the POE is that she's visiting relatives, which is the truth and they'll let her in. To be on the safe side, she'll need a return ticket and proof of her ties to the UK (home, job, etc)

chelly Aug 13th 2004 5:50 pm

seems complicated! :confused:

chelly Aug 13th 2004 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by manc1976
how long you going for?

not sure hopefully not long as I have a young family but these things can get out of hand and I worry I might never leave!

ladyofthelake Aug 13th 2004 6:00 pm

not sure hopefully not long as I have a young family but these things can get out of hand and I worry I might never leave!

Definitely not what to say to the POE officer!! :D

chelly Aug 13th 2004 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Definitely not what to say to the POE officer!! :D

good advice! :)

Manc Aug 13th 2004 6:02 pm

not really, she's going to see elderly relatives for under 90 days and not being paid for it.

I would imagine she fits in with the VW quite well.

Bob Aug 13th 2004 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by James Box

If you don't have one already, get a laptop. Easy to carry around and can be used in both countries. It will be cheaper in the US, but you'll also have a US keyboard (no £ key)

There's no € either, and the @ key as well as others are all over the place...I had a mate bring one from England when he visted because I'm a tad stuck in my ways :)

As for providing healthcare, might be worth looking at a B1/B2 visa, costs about £90? let you stay for extended periods of time and the like...
And definately get good travel insurance before you leave, which includes liablities....

NC Penguin Aug 13th 2004 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by manc1976
not really, she's going to see elderly relatives for under 90 days and not being paid for it.

I would imagine she fits in with the VW quite well.

I'm focusing on what the OP says she'll be doing whilst visiting. They're not the kind of thing that would be considered visitor activities.

It's like the grandmother who wanted to visit her grandchildren and look after them while their parents were at work. This was a thread in one of the US visa forums a while back. The grandmother's activities whilst in the US would be beyond the realms of a Visa Waiver or Visitor Visa.

That's why the OP should be prepared when entering the US. It's quite possible she could be grilled about the reasons for her visit.

NC Penguin

Manc Aug 13th 2004 7:17 pm

I'm focusing on what the OP says she'll be doing whilst visiting. They're not the kind of thing that would be considered visitor activities.

It's like the grandmother who wanted to visit her grandchildren and look after them while their parents were at work. This was a thread in one of the US visa forums a while back. The grandmother's activities whilst in the US would be beyond the realms of a Visa Waiver or Visitor Visa.

That's why the OP should be prepared when entering the US. It's quite possible she could be grilled about the reasons for her visit.

NC Penguin

Question at POE

Immigration Officer
"What are you doing in the States?"

OP
"Visiting my elderly relatives"

Immigration Officer
"How long for?"

OP
"Here is my return ticket"

end of discussion and she has neither lied nor misrepresented herself.