Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Have you thought about this?

Have you thought about this?

Old Mar 8th 2005, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

UKMom24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Have you thought about this?

Oh My Gosh, yes very local to Great Ayton, Roseberry Topping. I lived in Middlesbrough. Growing up we were always in Great Ayton, Hutton-Le-Hole, Roseberry Topping. I remember going up to Captain Cook's monument in a huge raincoat (my dads) on one of those rainy days and almost go blown over the edge, I was so little. My parents now live in Skelton. Used to live in Yarm for years. Made lots of visits to York too, which I love and my kids love to go when we go back home. Where are you from originally?
Old Mar 8th 2005, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you thought about this?

Originally Posted by vegas
I once saw a program in the states that showed people who donate their bodies to forensic science. Once dead the person is placed naked in a field and then monitored to see how they decompose and are eaten by insects etc. They do this so they can have more precise timelines for predicting time of death. pretty macabre.
isnt there an advert on tv in the uk for vodka (or some drink) that shows someones ashes being compressed into a diamond? apparently its available in the usa!
very strange i thought
Old Mar 8th 2005, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vegas
I once saw a program in the states that showed people who donate their bodies to forensic science. Once dead the person is placed naked in a field and then monitored to see how they decompose and are eaten by insects etc. They do this so they can have more precise timelines for predicting time of death. pretty macabre.
There was also a programme about a man who had the largest collection of male genitalia .... but didn't have a human specimen. They went on to interview the old man who had decided to donate his penis to this collection when he died ... he declined to show the interviewer the actual specimen and said we would have to wait until he passed on, also mentioning that it was now a bit shrivelled due to age! Wondering how he incorporated that wish into his Will - I mean, would his penis be regarded as a gift or what?
Old Mar 8th 2005, 7:49 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Aaah beautiful place. Gods own country.

Im going a similar way but want to be scattered off Shining Tor in the peak district as it overlooks the place I grew up.
I used to fly hang gliders at or near Shining Tor backin the late 70s/early 80s. where are you from ? I lived in Leek and Onecote.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 7:54 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
I used to fly hang gliders at or near Shining Tor backin the late 70s/early 80s. where are you from ? I lived in Leek and Onecote.

p.s. Here's a nice map of Shining and Cat's Tors.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:05 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
I've only been in the US for a relatively short period of time and am currently in the process of making a Will, which made me realise that I hadn't thought about what I wanted to happen to my body after my death.

Before I moved here, it would simply have been a case of my family arranging for me to buried. However, I now think I would prefer to be cremated so that my family could scatter my ashes in the UK, which is the place I still consider to be home and where my father is buried.

So, have any of you thought about this?

I have thought about this, but from the other direction -- what would I do if Mark died in the States? I have asked him about this and he never really wants to talk about it... Not too keen on discussing death, as it were. We're both young (33/32) so I guess we just assume it's all a long way off. However, if he were to die suddenly for some reason, it would be hard enough to cope with the loss itself; to have to figure out where to go from there would just make it that much worse. I think deep down he'd want to go back to the UK but then where would that leave me? I wouldn't want to be away from him, if you know what I mean... Want to be able to visit his gravesite, etc. So, I just don't know.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:08 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
.... I wonder if any of us will ever truly feel that the US is our home?
I came from Britain, but after a good few years living in London (more than any other part of the UK - though I, and my family, from Yorkshire, and consider myself a Yorkshireman at heart), America is my home. I sincerely doubt I would even have a reason to consider returning to the UK, and therefore do not intend to be returned to the UK to be buried or scattered.