Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Have you thought about this?

Have you thought about this?

Old Mar 6th 2005, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have you thought about this?

I've only been in the US for a relatively short period of time and am currently in the process of making a Will, which made me realise that I hadn't thought about what I wanted to happen to my body after my death.

Before I moved here, it would simply have been a case of my family arranging for me to buried. However, I now think I would prefer to be cremated so that my family could scatter my ashes in the UK, which is the place I still consider to be home and where my father is buried.

So, have any of you thought about this?
Old Mar 6th 2005, 10:14 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you thought about this?

I once saw a program in the states that showed people who donate their bodies to forensic science. Once dead the person is placed naked in a field and then monitored to see how they decompose and are eaten by insects etc. They do this so they can have more precise timelines for predicting time of death. pretty macabre.
Old Mar 6th 2005, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vegas
I once saw a program in the states that showed people who donate their bodies to forensic science. Once dead the person is placed naked in a field and then monitored to see how they decompose and are eaten by insects etc. They do this so they can have more precise timelines for predicting time of death. pretty macabre.
Isnt it the FBI who do this?.

I want my head frozen next to Ted Williams here in Scottsdale.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 3:33 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Once they've taken whatever bits may be useful to someone else, the leftovers will be burnt and scattered off the top of Roseberry Topping on a windy day.

http://www.freefoto.com/browse.jsp?id=1051-68-0
Old Mar 7th 2005, 3:40 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Once they've taken whatever bits may be useful to someone else, the leftovers will be burnt and scattered off the top of Roseberry Topping on a windy day.

http://www.freefoto.com/browse.jsp?id=1051-68-0

Aaah beautiful place. Gods own country.

Im going a similar way but want to be scattered off Shining Tor in the peak district as it overlooks the place I grew up.

Old Mar 7th 2005, 3:52 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Aaah beautiful place. Gods own country.

Im going a similar way but want to be scattered off Shining Tor in the peak district as it overlooks the place I grew up.
Nice, but a bugger after a bit of rain - once went up to my neck in a peat bog on kinder scout, which aint a million miles from Shining Tor I don't think...?
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:11 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Nice, but a bugger after a bit of rain - once went up to my neck in a peat bog on kinder scout, which aint a million miles from Shining Tor I don't think...?

Yup its about 10 miles away. Aaah how we used to laugh at the daft sods who went a wandering up there when the sun was shining in the morning wearing nothing but jeans and a T-Shirt, only to get hopelessly lost in the afternoon fogs that would come down without warning, and then fall down peat bogs and get a broken leg or two

Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:48 am

Yup its about 10 miles away. Aaah how we used to laugh at the daft sods who went a wandering up there when the sun was shining in the morning wearing nothing but jeans and a T-Shirt, only to get hopelessly lost in the afternoon fogs that would come down without warning, and then fall down peat bogs and get a broken leg or two
I had all the gear, but still felt a twat! But I know what you mean. I remember once we were coming off Great Gable, abandoning the walk because the weather was too bad to get up. We were all experienced fellwalkers, properly equipped, but it was dire with very strong winds, driving rain and near zero visibility (we actually roped up for part of the section coming down so we didn't get seperated!). We ran into a school group going up in jeans, trainers and most of them had their lunches in tesco carrier bags. We had a serious word with the teacher who totally ignored us and pressed on upwards. We reported them to the police and the mountain rescue as an accident waiting to happen. Heard later that the MR leader caught them up and had a hard job persuading them to give up, but fortunately managed to eventually. Otherwise I reckon there would have been a few parents trying to answer the original question of this thread from which we have diverged so far!! My second tonight. Sorry. I really must go to bed!!!
Old Mar 7th 2005, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
I've only been in the US for a relatively short period of time and am currently in the process of making a Will, which made me realise that I hadn't thought about what I wanted to happen to my body after my death.

Before I moved here, it would simply have been a case of my family arranging for me to buried. However, I now think I would prefer to be cremated so that my family could scatter my ashes in the UK, which is the place I still consider to be home and where my father is buried.

So, have any of you thought about this?
Same goes for me, we will be going back to live in UK in 9 years, but one way or other I will be going home!!!
Old Mar 7th 2005, 1:43 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by britvic
Same goes for me, we will be going back to live in UK in 9 years, but one way or other I will be going home!!!

9 years? why 9?

Old Mar 7th 2005, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

9 years? why 9?
Because thats when hubby retires from the US Navy, and we want our son to start high school back in England.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
I'm also hoping to go back to the UK to live, in about 8 years when my husband retires. I'm hoping to still be around when he reaches retirement age, but if I'm not I still want to go back home. I wonder if any of us will ever truly feel that the US is our home?
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vegas
Did you see that series on TV ... "Anatomy for Beginners"? Quite revolting and fascinating all at the same time ... seeing a corpse hanging in front of an audience and being disected for a television programme. Apparently, before the guy died he donated his body for that very purpose. :scared:
Old Mar 8th 2005, 10:38 am
Just Joined

UKMom24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Have you thought about this?

I just joined this group and I know this is a bit off the subject, but to see the pictures of Roseberry Topping cheered me up this dull morning. I have very fond memories of this place and didn't realize how much I miss the countryside and all the little places I used to go to as a child.

Old Mar 8th 2005, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by UKMom24
I just joined this group and I know this is a bit off the subject, but to see the pictures of Roseberry Topping cheered me up this dull morning. I have very fond memories of this place and didn't realize how much I miss the countryside and all the little places I used to go to as a child.

Roseberry Topping is a special place - we have pictures of it all over the house. I love it - it holds very happy memories from very recent all the way back to about 3 or 4 year old when the only way I could get to the very top was on my Dads back. Qithout fail (unless its dark!) as I come along towards Great Ayton and see it for the first time, I always get a "back home again" feeling. I take it you're a local lass then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.