Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Have you gotten bigger living in America?

Have you gotten bigger living in America?

Old Sep 15th 2014, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you gotten bigger living in America?

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Yes, we all put on weight as we get old, but I was kind of curious: Are you noticing that you are gaining more weight in the USA vs your peers (or possibly siblings) in the UK? Or do you think you are gaining more weight living in the US than you would if you were back home?

Just wondering if you think the portion sizes, price and lifestyle (i.e. driving a car) in the USA is leading to weight gain vs. if you were back in the UK?
On the contrary, I think it's actually been the opposite. With the different climate/geography/lifestyle here in the US, I think I'm actually more active than I was in the UK. I also think I'm drinking less alcohol and eating healthier. There was definitely a bigger drinking culture in the UK - even during work hours. Pub lunches and beer were regular features of meeting clients. I was a little over 200lbs when I left the UK 16 years ago. Now I'm 185lbs. Given the expected weight gain through age, the difference is actually more than 15lbs.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Sep 15th 2014 at 7:49 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 7:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
On the contrary, I think it's actually been the opposite. With the different climate/geography/lifestyle here in the US, I think I'm actually more active than I was in the UK. I also think I'm drinking less alcohol and eating healthier. There was definitely a bigger drinking culture in the UK - even during work hours. Pub lunches and beer were regular features of meeting clients. I was a little over 200lbs when I left the UK 16 years ago. Now I'm 185lbs. Given the expected weight gain through age, the difference is actually more than 15lbs.
I'm about 15lbs different between my (non-UK trip-kebab-induced) US weight and previous UK weight as well, though you'd need to add a few more lbs onto your two weights to get up to either of mine

I never considered climate to be a difference, though it's a good point. Ignoring active exercise like walking, footie or bike riding and the like, in spring and summer I'd be cutting the grass at least once a week and we have a decently sized, hilly garden. Even in winter here, if I'm out shoveling snow, and this can be weekly or more sometimes, I'm getting a lot more 'passive exercise' (a possibly made up term) than I used to in the UK, walking to and from work/the car park in Belfast every day notwithstanding.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

LA is a car culture, no doubt about it. Other parts of the country may well be different.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 8:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
LA is a car culture, no doubt about it. Other parts of the country may well be different.
The whole place is, at least to degrees. Certainly when it comes to getting to work, unless you live in, or commute to a city like New York or Chicago where there are always a lot of people walking about.

The day to day walking I used to do getting to work though, seems to have been offset by cutting grass or shoveling snow (or raking leaves ) though, at least, even though as far as actually getting somewhere goes, I'm driving.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Geezer123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got smaller. But I have no car and that usually makes all the difference. The area I live in is hardly overweight as well.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Not necessarily. I drive to work which is 3 miles away and to the supermarket but I run many more miles than I drive each week usually.

And I just noticed the Edgbaston. Not far from my old stomping ground
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
Not necessarily. I drive to work which is 3 miles away and to the supermarket but I run many more miles than I drive each week usually.

And I just noticed the Edgbaston. Not far from my old stomping ground
"All roight luv?" Have lost count of the times I've heard that now
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

unique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'm about 15lbs different between my (non-UK trip-kebab-induced) US weight and previous UK weight as well, though you'd need to add a few more lbs onto your two weights to get up to either of mine

I never considered climate to be a difference, though it's a good point. Ignoring active exercise like walking, footie or bike riding and the like, in spring and summer I'd be cutting the grass at least once a week and we have a decently sized, hilly garden. Even in winter here, if I'm out shoveling snow, and this can be weekly or more sometimes, I'm getting a lot more 'passive exercise' (a possibly made up term) than I used to in the UK, walking to and from work/the car park in Belfast every day notwithstanding.
Just quoting you as I see you are from Carrickfergus.....same here.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 1:34 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by unique_boy
Just quoting you as I see you are from Carrickfergus.....same here.
Cool, small world.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 1:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
That's interesting. Most poor people I have come across are obese. Looks like you managed to inverse the general rule
It depends on what you eat when you are poor. And I actually think it was the stress that did it
Old Sep 16th 2014, 2:52 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
It depends on what you eat when you are poor. And I actually think it was the stress that did it
I also find that less money = more seditary lifestyle. But, that said, in England some of my friends with not much money and can't afford a car have to walk / cycle everywhere so are in very good shape!
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

off_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond repute

Well, been here for 7 months now and the wife has lost something like 2 stone, I have lost a little and the kids are healthier than they have been for a while. So I need to kick myself to get moving more (letting the side down), but we walk more, cycle, generally eat better and less and the kids are really into soccer now that the season has started and they play 1 match a week and train for 2 other sessions!

Even the dog is fitter, though she still could lose a little more weight!

Drive a lot more than we did, but we definitely do eat better and fresh fruit and veg is great (if a little expensive). Smoothies made at home, healthy portions and staying away from sugar and salt have meant we are all a lot better and more active than before. Had a health test as part of my companies health care / insurance - actually all looked good and cholesterol is down and fat content in the blood down too! I think thats called a win!

But it would be easy to let it drop. Winter is approaching (cough, really? Here? Hahah) and sedentary ways are easy to fall into!
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I also find that less money = more seditary lifestyle. But, that said, in England some of my friends with not much money and can't afford a car have to walk / cycle everywhere so are in very good shape!
It certainly can. Can't join a gym, can't afford to go out and do much, usually live in an apartment so no yard work or anything of that sort. It's a lot harder to stay active when you don't have money to go out and do things, only so many free things one can do...
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

unique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It certainly can. Can't join a gym, can't afford to go out and do much, usually live in an apartment so no yard work or anything of that sort. It's a lot harder to stay active when you don't have money to go out and do things, only so many free things one can do...
jogging / walking are free
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unique_boy
jogging / walking are free
and so is sunstroke, heat exhaustion and the like. I'm not going jogging while the heat index is in triple figures

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.