Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Have you gotten bigger living in America?

Wikiposts

Have you gotten bigger living in America?

Old Sep 15th 2014, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you gotten bigger living in America?

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
It took me a long time to stop clearing my plate at restaurants and get used to asking for a go box.

Jogging with the dog has helped get me back to a normal weight pretty quickly much to the annoyance of my wife who doesn't find it as easy
This!

My husband doesn't jog, but he stopped taking the bus from the train directly to his office and decided to walk a lot further. He actually has lost weight and went down to a lower size trouser than even when we lived in the UK. I still think it comes off easier for men though.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 1:35 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I moved from France where there is enormous social pressure for women to be thin and you get the "look" (head to toe very judgementally) from other women as they regard what you are wearing and how thin you are.

I've put on a couple of lbs in the last year but I'm not at all concerned and I'm much happier that my daughters live here in Texas. I almost fell over when a complete stranger COMPLIMENTED me on my outfit and in partcular my blouse. My DD tells me this happens all the time in school.

I don't eat all the food on my plate in restaurants though and I will never, ever drink soda. A habit I kept from my french pals was not eating between meal which I think is part of the problem here and in the UK.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

I have definitely gained weight. It's mostly because I used to walk almost an hour total each day as part of my commute, and now drive everywhere. I actually eat better here, and I do try to get some exercise, walking or cycling at the weekend, but for much of the year it's just too hot to be outside during the day.

By the time I'm americanised enough to use the word "gotten" (as in the thread title), I will either be an engorged blob, wobbling from my house to car to office and back, or I will have finally got my act together and be thinner than I've been since the age of nineteen.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 2:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I did, but I was over weight when I first arrived anyway. Then I lost it, mostly due to being stressed and poor! Then for many years I yo-yoed but now I am staying fairly steady at a weight I am comfortable with.

Its surprising how good you can get with diet and exercise after so many years of bad habits when you get a wake up call
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It' the lack of walking.

So noticeable now I'm back.

Also I think the food is far less sweet in the UK.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:15 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It' the lack of walking.

So noticeable now I'm back.

Also I think the food is far less sweet in the UK.
Except the sweets. They are sweeter

The main difference for me was (as I noticed on my recent trip back) that I don't live off a diet of chips, curries, kebabs, Wispa Golds and Fox's Classics here. That may be a contributing factor.

On the other side though, because I missed Mexican food so much being away, we went for some on Saturday and I had a carne asada plate that would make the granola-hugging health nuts of BE just about shit their pants
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:19 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
diet of chips, curries, kebabs, Wispa Golds and Fox's Classics.
The basics of a good diet.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:20 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
The basics of a good diet.
If one was considering a period of hibernation, I could very strongly recommend it
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:24 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Yes I did, but I was over weight when I first arrived anyway. Then I lost it, mostly due to being stressed and poor!
That's interesting. Most poor people I have come across are obese. Looks like you managed to inverse the general rule
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Except the sweets. They are sweeter

The main difference for me was (as I noticed on my recent trip back) that I don't live off a diet of chips, curries, kebabs, Wispa Golds and Fox's Classics here. That may be a contributing factor.

On the other side though, because I missed Mexican food so much being away, we went for some on Saturday and I had a carne asada plate that would make the granola-hugging health nuts of BE just about shit their pants
A contributing factor to what?
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:35 am
I have a comma problem

A contributing factor to what?
Putting on a stone in three weeks

That being said, I loved every starchy, oily, greasy second of it.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Putting on a stone in three weeks

That being said, I loved every starchy, oily, greasy second of it.
Blimey

Didn't the snooker give you a nice healthy workout?
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:55 am
I have a comma problem

Blimey

Didn't the snooker give you a nice healthy workout?
Well, yes of course

Actually, I did take a walk around town on the Thursday before I left, I probably covered about 5/6 miles, taking pictures of stuff I didn't get the chance to when I was over before. Then stopped off for a few practice frames before going home, of course.

I admit, attempting a kebab on naan, sober on the first night I got there wasn't my finest decision
Old Sep 15th 2014, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, yes of course

Actually, I did take a walk around town on the Thursday before I left, I probably covered about 5/6 miles, taking pictures of stuff I didn't get the chance to when I was over before. Then stopped off for a few practice frames before going home, of course.

I admit, attempting a kebab on naan, sober on the first night I got there wasn't my finest decision
Old Sep 15th 2014, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

FinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond repute

Ten pounds in the first six months. Took me that long to learn you don't actually have to eat it all even if it's on your plate...

I have lost that and more since then, and even though I'm up a couple of pounds from my lowest I still weigh less than I did in high school. But then I was always a fat kid... I can thank mostly the weather, my Surly Cross-Check, and a pair of good running shoes for that; San Diego breweries not so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.