British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Have you got more patriotic since living in the US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/have-you-got-more-patriotic-since-living-us-673533/)

Minty Jun 22nd 2010 5:18 pm

Have you got more patriotic since living in the US?

Hi

I have been living in the US now for just over 5 years having come over on a K1 visa.

Maybe its just the world cup but I find that being away from "home" even though I am very happy living where I am, that I have become much more patriotic about being English that I think I used to be. I have a GB sticker on the car and British Flag number plate surrounds. Just lots of little things.

Is this the same for others too?

Just curious!

Ash UK/US Jun 22nd 2010 5:38 pm

Re: Have you got more patriotic since living in the US?

I would say I am more patriotic.

Side note, I bought a shirt with the union jack covering the front... wonder how that will go down when I were it for work on July 4th :eek:

Ja5on Jun 22nd 2010 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Minty (Post 8649337)
Hi

I have been living in the US now for just over 5 years having come over on a K1 visa.

Maybe its just the world cup but I find that being away from "home" even though I am very happy living where I am, that I have become much more patriotic about being English that I think I used to be. I have a GB sticker on the car and British Flag number plate surrounds. Just lots of little things.

Just curious!

i only got here a few months ago and watching the world cup games makes me really miss being back home in a pub full of england fans getting very drunk and screaming at the tv, i am more proud to be English now that i have left.

ukintexas Jun 22nd 2010 10:34 pm

Yes, would say I'm more openly patriotic in terms of flying the flag (on my car just like you!) as I think it has different connotations when you do it in the UK. My take is that the US is such a patriotic country and not ashamed to show it with flag flying etc, that it just brings that out in you for your homeland. Not in a bad way -just makes it acceptable to fly the flag to show you're proud of where you came from.
We went to a supposed British Pub (here in Houston) for the match last week. Got there at 11am, thinking it would get pretty packed and it was empty of supporters! Shame on them. I wore a "Come on England" shirt for the match and then wished for the rest of the day (after we'd played so pathetically) that I had had the foresight to take another shirt with me to change. As it was I kept getting ribbed all day :banghead::banghead::banghead:

md95065 Jun 23rd 2010 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Minty (Post 8649337)

Not for me, no.

bevinva Jun 23rd 2010 10:57 am

Yes I have, and it's hard to explain to those still in the UK.

discoviking Jun 23rd 2010 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 8649381)
Side note, I bought a shirt with the union jack covering the front... wonder how that will go down when I were it for work on July 4th :eek:

I have a couple of shirts with a Union Jack on them, too. I also drive a british car. But I don't miss the UK at all. Maybe it's because I am from Norway? :p Come to think of it, I have never been to the UK, but I would like to visit one day...

Manc Jun 23rd 2010 2:09 pm

"It's amazing how patriotic someone gets for a country that doesn't give a toss about them"

Dennis, series 1. Auf Weidersehen Pet

Englishtart Jun 24th 2010 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 8651602)
"It's amazing how patriotic someone gets for a country that doesn't give a toss about them"

Dennis, series 1. Auf Weidersehen Pet

:rofl: Loved that show!

Sally Redux Jun 24th 2010 5:54 pm

I am more aware of my British identity now but for me it is not the same as wanting to display a flag. I am proud of our history of social care/trade unionism even if the people abusing them drive you nuts :lol: Also the British humour and attitudes I appreciate now I don't see them so much.

pootle_monster Jun 24th 2010 6:37 pm

I'm the same as you i have a GB sticker on the back of the car, i also display an RAF roundal (which most people think is a target!) because my grandad worked on Spitfires and Hurricains during WW2!

Zonie Jun 24th 2010 7:05 pm

Yes but not towards England! My move over to the dark side is almost complete, it was my destiny.

penguinsix Jun 25th 2010 12:01 am

Yea, but are you as patriotic as this guy?

Zonie Jun 25th 2010 12:09 am

I am his father. ;)

tigerbaywarrior Jun 25th 2010 7:37 pm

Being Welsh, I couldn't give a toss about being English.

But then again, we don't have a soccer team to talk about.

:eek: