Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Have you assimilated, or do you cling to your old culture?

Have you assimilated, or do you cling to your old culture?

Old May 1st 2012, 11:25 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you assimilated, or do you cling to your old culture?

Originally Posted by lansbury
in order to keep my British side alive I drive on the left. Most people in town have got use to this now and just move out the way.

A mix of Brit and USA for me... Chocolate Digestives go well with Dunkin Donuts coffee.

I wish I could find a transport solution for Custard Slices though.
Old May 1st 2012, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

In general I do things the US way. However in order to keep my British side alive I drive on the left. Most people in town have got use to this now and just move out the way.
Old May 1st 2012, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek

A mix of Brit and USA for me... Chocolate Digestives go well with Dunkin Donuts coffee.

I wish I could find a transport solution for Custard Slices though.
Had one last night from Morrisons!!!
Old May 1st 2012, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tilz
In the Uk I mostly watched USA shows anyway so I am pretty much in with it. Still find myself translating into pounds when I buy something but only been here 7mths so I am sure that will drop off.
I still get to watch the football and its better to watch it early morning :-)
me to!! Ive downloaded a curreny convertor!!! I need to know the £ equiv! Will this go I wonder!

Does saying something is "cute" and loving half and half mean Ive assimilated?? If so then yep I have!
Old May 1st 2012, 1:26 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Had one last night from Morrisons!!!
I was in the UK a week or so ago and was trying to figure out if I could carry a box of Custard Slices on the plane with me. They dont really hold up well to 8 hours in a suitcase.
Old May 1st 2012, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have taken up some 'Americanisms' and have kept some Britishness about me. Why move somewhere and not adapt in even the smallest way? (I have not lived in my country of birth, Scotland, for half of my life so far) When I lived in Northampton I got so fed up with people complaining about immigrants who were not adapting to the English culture. Yes you want to keep a bit of your identity from your home country but you also must accept the culture and traditions of the new county you are living in. I will note that some of our 'friends' that complained about immigrants in Northampton NOT adapting to become more English were the same people who complained about me and my husband becoming 'all American' sounding on the phone/twitter/facebook etc. Some people just puzzle me.
Old May 1st 2012, 2:24 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
No I bloody well have not and nor do I intend to. Bollocks to that ...
How do you feel about moslem immigrants in the UK, who think they should be allowed to keep their own culture and not assimilate?
Old May 1st 2012, 2:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
How do you feel about moslem immigrants in the UK, who think they should be allowed to keep their own culture and not assimilate?
I honestly haven't given it much thought, to be honest with you. However, if nobody's forcing the British born pikeys to conform to British culture, can we really impose it on immigrants?

Anyway, how much harm is hating silly games like hand-egg and retaining British pronounciations and spellings doing anyway?
Old May 1st 2012, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

In general I do things the US way. However in order to keep my British side alive I drive on the left. Most people in town have got use to this now and just move out the way.
If points could be awarded for posts that would get the maximum.
Old May 1st 2012, 2:42 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly haven't given it much thought, to be honest with you. However, if nobody's forcing the British born pikeys to conform to British culture, can we really impose it on immigrants?

Anyway, how much harm is hating silly games like hand-egg and retaining British pronounciations and spellings doing anyway?
I was just equating your "bollocks to that" attitude, with the moslems in the UK, who believe they should be able to retain their own culture, reject all UK ways and laws and practice sharia law. Their attitude is pretty much "bollocks to that" - albeit in farsi, or whatever language they speak.
Old May 1st 2012, 2:44 pm
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tilz
In the Uk I mostly watched USA shows anyway so I am pretty much in with it. Still find myself translating into pounds when I buy something but only been here 7mths so I am sure that will drop off.
I still get to watch the football and its better to watch it early morning :-)
I prefer the early kick off's with the time difference. It helps me free up the rest of the day

Earliest for me has been games at 7am.
Old May 1st 2012, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

I love being here and don't miss the UK at all. However, I am still British - not much I can do to change that and I wouldn't want to. I don't watch or miss UK tellie though I still get my news from the BBC and (hangs head in shame) have a quick glance at the Daily Mail to get my blood pressure up.

It is odd being the foreigner and the immigrant but it doesn't matter where you live, you get up and go to work, just like everyone else. Everything becomes normal after a while: better to embrace it than fight it.
Old May 1st 2012, 2:52 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I was just equating your "bollocks to that" attitude, with the moslems in the UK, who believe they should be able to retain their own culture, reject all UK ways and laws and practice sharia law. Their attitude is pretty much "bollocks to that" - albeit in farsi, or whatever language they speak.
I almost want to look up what the Farsi for bollocks is now ...

The main difference was a high dosage of flippancy on my part though. In reality what does 'assimilation' boil down to here anyway? My 'bollocks to that' attitude is in regards to the fact that I'm not going to pretend to like football, Miller Lite and that kind of stuff just to 'fit in'. Anyone who is a proper mate here accepts my Britishness as an eccentricity and we all get on just fine.

In the same way, if we do end up moving back to Norn Irn, I'd not expect my wife and son to completely forget who they are either. I'm not going to start stuffing currys down her throat or expect her to suddenly start drinking Guinness

Ultimately we're talking about minor cultural differences and a bit of a difference in dialect really (and I realise this is way, way beyond what you were getting at).
Old May 1st 2012, 2:59 pm
Life goes on.

In the same way, if we do end up moving back to Norn Irn, I'd not expect my wife and son to completely forget who they are either. I'm not going to start stuffing currys down her throat or expect her to suddenly start drinking Guinness

Liar.
Old May 1st 2012, 3:02 pm
I have a comma problem

Liar.
My wife doesn't drink.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.