Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Have they no shame???

Have they no shame???

Old Jun 14th 2004, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light
Default Have they no shame???

What's with the two inch gaps around the lavatory doors out here?? And the two foot gap at the bottom of the door, and the fact that the top of the door is at shoulder height??

Why don't they just put bat-wing saloon doors on them and be done with it!!

I mean, I appreciate them trying to discourage employees from sloping off to the netty for a quick Bensons and a scan of the National Enquirer, but this is ridiculous...

As a repressed and thoroughly retentive Brit I demand the right to have a few minutes of serious contemplation and meditation without my co-workers sharing the moment with me...
Old Jun 14th 2004, 11:31 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have they no shame???

Originally posted by Big Vern

I
What, you mean you haven't been in one of those places yet? You will, you will.......
Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

U will have to learn to whistle then Vern.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:34 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
U will have to learn to whistle then Vern.

Ive been assured that you cant see in through that gap but you can out, I havent actualy tried it yet...may be tommorow
Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I swear even with my wide girth, I could slip through the huge crack in the toilet doors where I work.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 3:30 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

And the toddlers are under the door in a flash! I go in with my 2 sons for a quick pee - no way can use the urinals - too much running around space - have to try to corral them in while we do our stuff. So the procedure is get #1 (3 yo) to do his thing first (he's not into sword fights yet) , #2 (15 months) watching on with rapt interest. Then they both watch me dutifully start my own performance until halfway thru they get bored and nip out under the door. At which point I have to make a choice between bellowing at the top of my voice for the little b*ggers to get back pdq, or else call a timeout in mid flow and chase them....neither of which yield particularly pleasing results....nope, give me full length doors any day.......

Ps - if anyone has any good tips for solving above said problem, I'd love to hear them. Brother in law reckons duct taping them to the door would work, but I haven't got that desperate yet.....
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

What's with the two inch gaps around the lavatory doors out here?? And the two foot gap at the bottom of the door, and the fact that the top of the door is at shoulder height??

I mean, I appreciate them trying to discourage employees from sloping off to the netty for a quick Bensons and a scan of the National Enquirer, but this is ridiculous...

As a repressed and thoroughly retentive Brit I demand the right to have a few minutes of serious contemplation and meditation without my co-workers sharing the moment with me...
I have actually been in one with very small saloon doors in a bar in Maryland, and that was the ladies. You know what us women are like.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 12:08 am

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
And the toddlers are under the door in a flash! I go in with my 2 sons for a quick pee - no way can use the urinals - too much running around space - have to try to corral them in while we do our stuff. So the procedure is get #1 (3 yo) to do his thing first (he's not into sword fights yet) , #2 (15 months) watching on with rapt interest. Then they both watch me dutifully start my own performance until halfway thru they get bored and nip out under the door. At which point I have to make a choice between bellowing at the top of my voice for the little b*ggers to get back pdq, or else call a timeout in mid flow and chase them....neither of which yield particularly pleasing results....nope, give me full length doors any day.......

Ps - if anyone has any good tips for solving above said problem, I'd love to hear them. Brother in law reckons duct taping them to the door would work, but I haven't got that desperate yet.....
That brought abck memories of when my Fric and Frac were toddlers.

You'll have to bargain with them for post - pee goodies if you don't want to have to stop mid-stream.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 3:02 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anyone concerned about Big Vern? He talks as if he's never visited the US before and has just landed on a spaceship!
Old Jun 16th 2004, 3:10 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I take it Vern you've never wanted to see strangers take a dump then?
Old Jun 16th 2004, 4:52 pm
ElsieTheMaid

At least most people put locks on their bathroom doors these days. When I first came over, hardly anyone did. It made it hard to relax if you know what I mean....

Old Jun 16th 2004, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Overthere is an unknown quantity at this point

Most public loos in the UK have caps around the doors - it's certainly nothing new (well for women anyway).
Old Jun 16th 2004, 5:15 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad

Hang them on the hook behind the door!!

Seriously, I'd like to know of any tips too as I have the same problem with my two youngsters!!

Sara
Old Jun 16th 2004, 5:29 pm
Thems the Vagaries

LuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond repute

The openings around the doors are to let all of the smell out after you have eaten anything spicey...ps, almost all the american dishes i have tried have been spicey.

just call me "that wing of the house is closed"
Old Jun 16th 2004, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Overthere
Most public loos in the UK have caps around the doors - it's certainly nothing new (well for women anyway).
Hmmm I lived in the UK for 25 years and have NEVER seen a public loo with a door/cubical like the ones used in the US.

Ash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.