Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Have a great Thanksgiving

Have a great Thanksgiving

Old Nov 24th 2005, 4:05 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have a great Thanksgiving

The widow and her daughter are cooking the dinner today, so I'll just hide somewhere from the arguments and survey the damage from a distance, the local fire station is on standby, but I've got a small extinguisher and a respirator handy, just in case.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 5:23 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Is it your in-laws who eat their Thanksgiving dinner off paper plates?

I know that someone mentioned it here and wasn't too impressed LOL!

No, that wasn't me...LOL! The only complaint I have is that alcohol does not form part of their feast. But this year they have some promotions to celebrate so we have invested in a magnum of champagne to contribute - that should improve matters!
Old Nov 24th 2005, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I know it happens all the time here. We try and get to the movies once or twice a month and nearly everytime it's interrupted by someone's baby. One time a child sat playing his game boy all the way through the film with the sound turned up, when someone complained the father started getting really nasty.

Bad manners seem to be spreading everywhere. I've always instilled the importance of good manners to my son. I am very proud of him because as a polite 12 year old himself he often comments on the rudeness of others and can't understand why we aren't nicer to each other.
Have to agree 100%. We live in NYC, have noticed for last few years people bring BABIES & small children to the movies. REALY REALLY annoying have babies crying, kids talking through the movie. PDA's & bright Cell phone screens on & open during the movie.
We have another strange idea, its has happened to me several times, 2 people one speaks English the other "Russian, Chinese, Japanese etc", the one who speaks English translates the entire bloody movie. Jokes & all.
Another time a guy was sitting near us, his girlfriend, had her head in his lap (Don't ask) he relayed the movie to her.
I personally, have to say something to these people.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 6:07 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Me and the wife are having the inlawas round for all the trimmings turkey etc etc, its amazing how much food will be cooked then wasted - oh well

theres no chance we will be at the sales tomorrow, fighting at 6am for a measly couple of dollars off something!!

have a great day everyone whatever you are doing

Ant
Old Nov 24th 2005, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
As Paul and I are both British we do not celebrate Thanksgiving in the traditional manner and have ceased accepting invitations to peoples houses. We usually spend the day watching the Thanksgiving parade on TV and then in the afternoon we go to the cinema and watch a film we've all being bursting to see. The cinema is usually pretty empty and we get the place all to ourselves. We then drive back home and after a nice beef stew, or something I've thrown in the slow cooker, we play a few board games.

At the end of the day we get to spend some quality time together as a family and shut the world out for a couple of days.......so however you spend Thanksgiving, I hope it's a good one and wish you all a wonderful holiday.

Sue
Wife is On Call @ the Hospital. Few years ago she was On Call for Thanksgiving, we were going to her sisters for family dinner. She got called in 4 times. Another year we had Turkey dinner at 10 pm. We are going to local restaurant for dinner, though we are cooking a Turkey breast, for sandwiches later.
Reg.
Frank R.
PS. Wife & son just pointed out this is my first Thanksgiving since becoming a Citizen.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 6:27 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we are a full on "when in Rome do as the Romans" family so the turkey is in and I'm just about to start on the veggies..none of that marshmallow crap BUT my mums secret recipe stuffing (71 points on weight watchers ) then off to the movies later to see Chicken Little (or Liddle as our youngest says) if I'm not too pissed

To those of you not celebrating, come on stop being so bloody miserable - I'm sure you can find something to be thankful for
Old Nov 24th 2005, 6:29 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Well we are a full on "when in Rome do as the Romans" family so the turkey is in and I'm just about to start on the veggies..none of that marshmallow crap BUT my mums secret recipe stuffing (71 points on weight watchers ) then off the movies later to see Chicken Little (or Liddle as out yopungest says) if I'm not too pissed

To those of you not celebrating, come on stop being so bloody miserable - I'm sure you can find something to be thankful for
OMG 71 points.I'm impressed that you know that Eskimo.Enjoy your turkey.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 6:31 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clydegirl
OMG 71 points.I'm impressed that you know that Eskimo.Enjoy your turkey.

the wife is dieting two servings is more than a Jack in the Box ultimate cheese-burger have good one !
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

We've just got back from watching Harry Potter, there were only about 30 people watching. One of them was an 18 month old baby who screamed the whole way through but the parents moved to the back of the cinema and so the noise didn't really bother us. The 5 boys who sat behind us and constantly talked and kicked the back of our chairs should be thankful that I am a very patient person and didn't turn round and throttle them.

I've just put the lamb in the oven, hubby's opened a beer and I am off to get my first glass of wine of the day.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:58 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

I just got back from the UK last night, so am now feeling it's almost bedtime .. We're going to my father-in-law's - he's doing the works (with help from other family and friends) but I'm veggie so I'll manage some sweet potato and vegetables. I'll take a bottle of wine along and mellow into my own sleepiness!

Enjoy your day everyone!
Old Nov 25th 2005, 4:09 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Is it your in-laws who eat their Thanksgiving dinner off paper plates?

I know that someone mentioned it here and wasn't too impressed LOL!
We had Thanksgiving at my in-laws & they used those really heavy duty paper plates!
Old Nov 25th 2005, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Partystar
We had Thanksgiving at my in-laws & they used those really heavy duty paper plates!
Woe, feel for you. All my USA relatives/friends, know I refuse to eat from paper plates (Any quality, including plastic knives & forks) indoors.

Reg. Frank R.
Worlds poorest Snob!