Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Have a great Thanksgiving

Have a great Thanksgiving

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:36 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have a great Thanksgiving

As Paul and I are both British we do not celebrate Thanksgiving in the traditional manner and have ceased accepting invitations to peoples houses. We usually spend the day watching the Thanksgiving parade on TV and then in the afternoon we go to the cinema and watch a film we've all being bursting to see. The cinema is usually pretty empty and we get the place all to ourselves. We then drive back home and after a nice beef stew, or something I've thrown in the slow cooker, we play a few board games.

At the end of the day we get to spend some quality time together as a family and shut the world out for a couple of days.......so however you spend Thanksgiving, I hope it's a good one and wish you all a wonderful holiday.

Sue
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:36 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Have a great Thanksgiving

Originally Posted by Sue
As Paul and I are both British we do not celebrate Thanksgiving in the traditional manner and have ceased accepting invitations to peoples houses. We usually spend the day watching the Thanksgiving parade on TV and then in the afternoon we go to the cinema and watch a film we've all being bursting to see. The cinema is usually pretty empty and we get the place all to ourselves. We then drive back home and after a nice beef stew, or something I've thrown in the slow cooker, we play a few board games.

At the end of the day we get to spend some quality time together as a family and shut the world out for a couple of days.......so however you spend Thanksgiving, I hope it's a good one and wish you all a wonderful holiday.

Sue
And the same to you Sue!

I feel exactly the same as you - Thanksgiving doesn't really mean anything to me and in fact makes me look forward to Christmas even more. It seems that most of our neighbours have gone away - although at the house opposite a number of cars with out-of-state plates have arrived and I sort of feel 'on the periphery' in some way without extended family or friends being around. (On the woo-hoo thread you will see why our plans have altered at the last minute.. )

Oddly enough, a few months ago we had new next-door neighbours; the husband is from England and his wife is American and they apparently left London a couple of years ago. I took around a large basket of goodies from the British shop and had a short conversation with them. I haven't seen or heard from them since....not even a 'Thank you' note. I feel sad about that too - perhaps they prefer to be shall I say 'insular', but I thought there would be some kind of camaraderie a that they might want to get together sometime over Thanksgiving or perhaps with Christmas coming up....the previous owners were friendly enough and I'm sure they strongly hinted that the 'Brits' lived next door when they were selling.

Hmmmmmm. I think I need a beer.....
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:35 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have a great Thanksgiving

Its my first Thanksgiving in the USA and the wife (USC) is dragging me off to some family get together. She's happy baking cookies, the kids are giddy and I'm yawning ..... but its their day and I'll go along for the ride and make the best of it. I've tried to explain Boxing Day and its traditions to them but so far they seem unimpressed... whats wrong with putting on my new (horrific) Christmas jumper...then heading for the local bar and getting rat-arsed. After all its tradition
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:38 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Its Briannas birthday so we are going down to see her for an hour or two, we are then going to the other house we own to eat Thanks giving lunch with the people who are staying there, they have no furniture so we are taking our own table and chairs. Then its home for some beers and watch the football.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 3:00 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

We dont do thanks giving either. And unfortunately the dumbass drivers round here are likely to have even more accidents than usual after getting lashed on booze and turkey at their mates/their in-laws/the country club then driving home so I for one am working. As is my wife.

But for those that do and are...have a jolly pleasant - and safe - one.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

We dont do it either, nice Leg of Lamb for us today
Old Nov 24th 2005, 1:48 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Have a great Thanksgiving

Originally Posted by Sue

Sue
We went to see "Walk The Line" - the new movie about Johnny Cash last weekend. It was quite a long, drawn out film and it was OK and the acting was fine but the movie as a whole was not as good as the reviews made it out to be.

My husband was bored out of his mind....he was more amused at watching the other patrons. We were at a multiplex and it seemed that people had been watching other movies, didn't want to go home right away so just wandered into the theatre we were in to watch the rest of the film - even though they'd missed the beginning of it.

I was very annoyed that someone brought in a baby aged about 12-15 months.....who became bored and started to cry, obviously when it was a quiet part of the movie and no music to drown out the crying... It seems to be a common occurence here in NJ for people to take babies and infants to cinemas on a Saturday night.....if they can't get or afford a babysitter why don't they just rent a movie? One guy's cellphone rang and he started chatting away in Spanish....I can't believe how bad mannered some people are!

Are other cinemas like this in the US or is it just New Jersey?
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Englishmum
We went to see "Walk The Line" - the new movie about Johnny Cash last weekend. It was quite a long, drawn out film and it was OK and the acting was fine but the movie as a whole was not as good as the reviews made it out to be.

My husband was bored out of his mind....he was more amused at watching the other patrons. We were at a multiplex and it seemed that people had been watching other movies, didn't want to go home right away so just wandered into the theatre we were in to watch the rest of the film - even though they'd missed the beginning of it.

I was very annoyed that someone brought in a baby aged about 12-15 months.....who became bored and started to cry, obviously when it was a quiet part of the movie and no music to drown out the crying... It seems to be a common occurence here in NJ for people to take babies and infants to cinemas on a Saturday night.....if they can't get or afford a babysitter why don't they just rent a movie? One guy's cellphone rang and he started chatting away in Spanish....I can't believe how bad mannered some people are!

Standard behaviour. We went to see Phantom of the Opera on stage here at Ft Lauderdale a few weeks ago...very posh do lots of expensive dresses and suits. I had to tell some guy behind me to shut up and turn his phone off or i'd ram it where the sun dont shine and there were at least 4 or 5 other people having conversations - loudly - in the auditorium...ffs if you dont want to watch and listen then piss off outside so the rest of us can. I didnt pay $75 per ticket to listen to your conversation with your realtor!!!
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:05 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

I know it happens all the time here. We try and get to the movies once or twice a month and nearly everytime it's interrupted by someone's baby. One time a child sat playing his game boy all the way through the film with the sound turned up, when someone complained the father started getting really nasty.

Bad manners seem to be spreading everywhere. I've always instilled the importance of good manners to my son. I am very proud of him because as a polite 12 year old himself he often comments on the rudeness of others and can't understand why we aren't nicer to each other.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
We dont do it either, nice Leg of Lamb for us today
We're having Lamb as well, I'm perfectly happy to celebrate any holiday that means hubby gets a day off work

We are going to have a roast dinner, a few drinks and then, while we have lots of really good intentions like taking the kids to the park and starting to prepare the girls room for the decorating we are doing this weekend, we will most likely be so full of food and drink that we will probably just slob out in front of the telly and watch movies for the rest of the day, it's a warm up for Christmas
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:19 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Thanksgiving all, i love my turkey and have a lot of cooking to do LOL, but hope everyone has a great day today! Best wishes to all
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope everyone has a nice day off (if you have one) whether celebrating or not.

I'll be trying to blend in with the husband's family and their turkey dinner.
Learnin' how to be "Murican" !
Old Nov 24th 2005, 3:43 pm

Question Re: Have a great Thanksgiving

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Hope everyone has a nice day off (if you have one) whether celebrating or not.

I'll be trying to blend in with the husband's family and their turkey dinner.
Learnin' how to be "Murican" !
Is it your in-laws who eat their Thanksgiving dinner off paper plates?

I know that someone mentioned it here and wasn't too impressed LOL!
Old Nov 24th 2005, 4:00 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well the turkey's in the oven and the tatties are peeled.Made my pumpkin pie yesterday and will do green bean casserole cos I like it This is my practise run for christmas when we have it again.My kids enjoy turkey .To everyone on BE have a good day however you celebrate it .Happy shopping day tomorrow.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 4:03 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clydegirl
Well the turkey's in the oven and the tatties are peeled.Made my pumpkin pie yesterday and will do green bean casserole cos I like it This is my practise run for christmas when we have it again.My kids enjoy turkey .To everyone on BE have a good day however you celebrate it .Happy shopping day tomorrow.

Haha shopping tomorrow is going to be crazy i dont think im brave enough to go to mall LOL. Enjoy the turkey!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.