Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Have conditional GC... want out of crummy marriage, don't want to leave US

Have conditional GC... want out of crummy marriage, don't want to leave US

Old Oct 9th 2002, 3:44 am
Just Joined

ChrissyLewis is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Have conditional GC... want out of crummy marriage, don't want to leave US

Hi
I've been married almost 2 years and have a conditional Green Card which expires in July 03. My husband lied to me from the get-go and has just quit his job and declared bankruptcy. I have a fantastic job, which pays well, lots to look forward to... can't quite take the marriage charade much longer, did I mention he's an alcoholic???
Lovely life I lead huh?
This was a 'love-job' or so I thought so am pretty miserable right now, but I don't want to have to go back to England just because I was duped... it's just not fair...
anybody know the immigration laws in Washington State???
THANKS
Old Oct 9th 2002, 4:57 am
Just Joined

Missiemoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Have conditional GC... want out of crummy marriage, don't want to leave US

Chrissy

Sorry to hear you are having a c**p time with hubby.

As far as I'm aware, I don't think immigration laws change from state to state (but I could be wrong there!). You should check out the INS website to see how you stand, failing that call an Immigration lawyer to help answer your questions about where you stand if you ditch him. I know of a British born one on Bainbridge Island if you like I could give you his number.

When you say 'conditional' GC do you mean you have the temporary stamp in your passport which lasts for a year?

Regards
Missiemoo
(Fellow Washington State resident with stamp in passport!)
Old Oct 9th 2002, 7:12 am
Henry

Default Re: Have conditional GC... want out of crummy marriage, don't want to leave US

Immigration law is Federal. So, don't worry about the laws of the evergreen
state!

I know that there are laws for this (something about "battered wife", ...)
provided that you can prove that you have entered the marriage in "good
faith" and that the current situation is something that could have happened
to anybody.

You also need to gather as much documents/evidence to show that your husband
is at fault here.

I know someone who kept her green card the same way despite getting divorced
before the 2 years were up.

Good luck
Henry

"ChrissyLewis" wrote in message
news:437801.1034135099@britishexpats-
.com
    > Hi
    > I've been married almost 2 years and have a conditional Green Card which
    > expires in July 03. My husband lied to me from the get-go and has just
    > quit his job and declared bankruptcy. I have a fantastic job, which
    > pays well, lots to look forward to... can't quite take the marriage
    > charade much longer, did I mention he's an alcoholic???
    > Lovely life I lead huh?
    > This was a 'love-job' or so I thought so am pretty miserable right now,
    > but I don't want to have to go back to England just because I was
    > duped... it's just not fair...
    > anybody know the immigration laws in Washington State???
    > THANKS
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 9th 2002, 8:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As stated, the INS is a federal agency and therefore immigration rules and regulations are federal not state regulated.

As for yourself, since you have the conditional greencard my suggestion is to go to the INS website and download form I-751. This is the form you will use to remove conditions. Once your divorce is final you are free to do so with the cooperation of your ex-spouse. You will have to prove to the satisfaction of the INS Service Center personnel that your marriage was entered into in good faith. That means supplying them with all the same documentation you would have used for the original AOS interview and for the I-751 if you had remained married.

Rete