Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Have come to a decision

Wikiposts

Have come to a decision

Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:11 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have come to a decision

Originally Posted by dunroving
Next to FE .....

(HE - Higher Education; FE = Further Education)
Duh!
But it sounds like that's where he/she/it lives.....silly person.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Hi Dunrowing,

we pretty much came back to the UK at the same time...and I can understand you very well..we live near London ant it is a hellhole .... it drives me mad that we would have to spend 400k to get a halfway descend semi...we spend may days saying that it was a mistake coming back.
The UK has lovely areas but here is not one of them...I still like the UK very much but just not here and it makes me angry to think we would have to pay for the next 30 years a mortgage for a little semi...just don't know were to go else

Wish you luck
HI there I spoke to you before you moved back to the UK I think, sorry to hear that the move didn't go well for you. We had a similar choice to make when we left Belgium (UK or Aus) and although it has been a rough ride we have settled well in Australia. It has been made easier for us that we aren't in the city which suits us very well and we bought our first house here a few months ago for $140K.
I hope that things settle for you soon as it is miserable living somewhere that you are unhappy.
Good luck.
Nicky
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NickyP
HI there I spoke to you before you moved back to the UK I think, sorry to hear that the move didn't go well for you. We had a similar choice to make when we left Belgium (UK or Aus) and although it has been a rough ride we have settled well in Australia. It has been made easier for us that we aren't in the city which suits us very well and we bought our first house here a few months ago for $140K.
I hope that things settle for you soon as it is miserable living somewhere that you are unhappy.
Good luck.
Nicky
Great..thats about 65k ?
Since John works for NATO..there are limitations for where we can go
We hope to be able to buy a house soon..but it will be more like 350k for a very small house..but we have a 13 year old how is very settled in her school..we can not even move to a different part of the UK..other wise I would be ok here.

Glad everything worked out for you

Would you mind to post a pic of you house?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Great..thats about 65k ?
Since John works for NATO..there are limitations for where we can go
We hope to be able to buy a house soon..but it will be more like 350k for a very small house..but we have a 13 year old how is very settled in her school..we can not even move to a different part of the UK..other wise I would be ok here.

Glad everything worked out for you

Would you mind to post a pic of you house?
Ian enjoys his job here after working at NATO it is nice to be somewhere settled and I have qualified to teach and start my job at the end of the month. I will try to post some piccies but I am not very good at this sort of thing.
Yay aren't I clever lol PM me if you want info on Ian's place as they are always looking for people to come over to work.
Nicky
The first one is of the cottage section the other is of the bakery. We are renovating to join the bakery to the main house and give ourselves a new bathroom etc. The house is 150 years old and is lovely in a small village community.
Attached Thumbnails Have come to a decision-oldbakeryeldorado.main.jpg   Have come to a decision-oct-07-163.jpg  

Last edited by NickyP; Jan 13th 2008 at 9:31 am.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Dunrovin - I too have followed your progress and plight - and I'm delighted to hear your news/decision. Very very best wishes to you
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Dunroving - like many on MBTTUK I've followed your 'do I, don't I?' process over the six months or so and can I just say it sounds like you've made the right decision. You didn't sound settled in UK and the main thing was it sounded like you'd lost hope i.e. the rest of your life would be a struggle if you stayed put.

Now, at least, you have a goal and you have a direction. You've made the decision one way or another and I think that's the really hard part. Good on you! You must feel relieved to be out of limbo. I hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted!

Cheers

Faye
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:57 pm

:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all

All the best with your plans, dunroving
Old Jan 13th 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

Best of luck Dunroving. Having been in the same situation as you are we can understand how your feeling, its not an easy decision to make but now you have you can start making plans and the relief must be enormous. Good luck with it all.

We are now settled back in the UK, Hubbie has a job (YES!), a good one too. One teenage son is enjoying being back at High School since September and now into GCSE. My daughter back in Perth and her hubbie had a lovely baby boy 6 weeks early which really upset me no end that I wasn't there but I'm getting over it now. My depression is being sorted out too, right tablets and so far right country. Now we are considering the mortgage side of things and like you Dunroving we aren't young and do we really want to spend till longer than retirement paying off a mortgage. On the otherside of it, it would have been exactly the same for us in Perth too with the price of houses.

Anyway, sorry to highjack yr thread, just kept meaning to write on here and what with the way I have been ..... never got around to it till now....

It will all work out for you, stay in touch.

Plants
Old Jan 20th 2008, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Jib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Tableland
I mean your comparison of UK/US HE. I've never worked in the US but there are a lot of opportunities in my field there. Problem is, I want to live in Australia, where there are not nearly as many opportunities. Duh!
Sorry but what is "HE"?
Just saw the answer above, sorry for asking

Last edited by Jib Jib; Jan 20th 2008 at 3:41 am. Reason: Duplicated