Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Have any of the expats moved to the US just because they like it?

Have any of the expats moved to the US just because they like it?

Old Sep 18th 2004, 2:27 am
Just Joined

damone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Have any of the expats moved to the US just because they like it?

Most of the threads I have read here are from people saying they've moved to the US due to a job or a family/fioncee. Has anyone simply moved the the US because they wanted to and wanted to leave behind Britain?
I guess it's a hard decision to get a visa if you don't have either of the other reasons. What about the 'visa lottery' i've read so much about? Can you get into the US if you're lucky on that?
Old Sep 18th 2004, 2:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have any of the expats moved to the US just because they like it?

Originally Posted by damone
Most of the threads I have read here are from people saying they've moved to the US due to a job or a family/fioncee. Has anyone simply moved the the US because they wanted to and wanted to leave behind Britain?
Moving for purely negative reasons is not necessarily a good idea.

I guess it's a hard decision to get a visa if you don't have either of the other reasons. What about the 'visa lottery' i've read so much about? Can you get into the US if you're lucky on that?
Most British people are ineligible for the visa lottery. Normally, only those born in eligible countries or territories (eg Ireland, South Africa, Australia or New Zealand) are eligible. Those born in Northern Ireland are also eligible.

The visa lottery is a long shot anyway.

Realistically, the two routes you mention above (spouse and employer) are the only ways for most British people to get into the US. Very few have the other family links necessary for green card sponsorship.

So it's not usually possible to move to the US just because you feel like it.

Those who want to migrate as independents usually look at Canada, Australia or New Zealand where migration is a much more practical option for those with the right skill profile.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 18th 2004 at 2:35 am.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 1:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by damone
Wanting to emigrate the US doesn't make a fig's worth of difference when it comes to obtaining a visa. It seems that, from reading the posts in the past, most of us Brits are here with American spouses, and most of the rest because their employer obtained a visa for them.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Nick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud of

Yes, I will move to the US because I like it.

Wanting to emigrate the US doesn't make a fig's worth of difference when it comes to obtaining a visa. It seems that, from reading the posts in the past, most of us Brits are here with American spouses, and most of the rest because their employer obtained a visa for them.
But one can try to find an employer in the US because he wants to emigrate ...

or one can try to find an american spouse because he wants to emigrate ...
Old Sep 18th 2004, 2:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick01
But one can try to find an employer in the US because he wants to emigrate ...

or one can try to find an american spouse because he wants to emigrate ...
The first is a lot of hassle, and the second will only end in tears if that's the reason for marriage these days....
Old Sep 18th 2004, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
The first is a lot of hassle, and the second will only end in tears if that's the reason for marriage these days....

I thought we were all here to take the colonies back for the crown ?
Old Sep 18th 2004, 10:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
I thought we were all here to take the colonies back for the crown ?
Hehe...aye..probably the only way of getting Bush out
Old Sep 18th 2004, 11:06 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The visa lottery is a long shot anyway.
Years ago when I was in my early 20's I applied for the GC lottery on a bit of a whim. To my amazement I got through to consulate stage. I had a job lined up in Palm Beach, a place to live and then after long consideration, decided that the US wasn't a place I wanted to live in!

Fast forward 10 years and I meet the man of my dreams / nightmares (delete as appropiate) and here I am.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 11:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by sibsie
Years ago when I was in my early 20's I applied for the GC lottery on a bit of a whim. To my amazement I got through to consulate stage. I had a job lined up in Palm Beach, a place to live and then after long consideration, decided that the US wasn't a place I wanted to live in!
Funny how that happens, I had a mate that's mother kept applying for it, one year they got it, got their greencards and lived there for a bit, had enough and went and got a job in Bahrain in stead, I think my mate's sister is the only one that stayed and is still there.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 11:12 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick01
Yes, I will move to the US because I like it.

but you don't need a visa..............
Old Sep 18th 2004, 11:19 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Bob... Mr Sibsie left for fishing Down East on Thursday. Not heard a peep from him since. If you spot him, send him back this way will ya.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 11:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by sibsie
Bob... Mr Sibsie left for fishing Down East on Thursday. Not heard a peep from him since. If you spot him, send him back this way will ya.
Up here....just as everyone else is leaving for the season *l* Good time to nab a lobster though... 3.5 lb $16