Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

has this happened to anyone else?

has this happened to anyone else?

Old Sep 26th 2006, 10:28 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default has this happened to anyone else?

Just checked our bank account on line. Saw a debit I didn't recognise for petrol. Recognised the garage but not the amount. We had both put petrol in our cars yesterday at the same place but not that figure. Rang the bank who said...." oh they have overcharged you, go and ask them for the money back" !!!.
I was then told that this is quite common and if the trader won't reimburse you then the bank will try and get it back.
I have never come across this before. Has anyone else?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 10:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: has this happened to anyone else?

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Just checked our bank account on line. Saw a debit I didn't recognise for petrol. Recognised the garage but not the amount. We had both put petrol in our cars yesterday at the same place but not that figure. Rang the bank who said...." oh they have overcharged you, go and ask them for the money back" !!!.
I was then told that this is quite common and if the trader won't reimburse you then the bank will try and get it back.
No but I am not surprised. I always check all my transactions.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 10:39 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No but I am not surprised. I always check all my transactions.
I always check but OH can be a bit vague about exact amounts but I know roughly how much petrol he uses a week. I probably wouldn't have spotted it had we both not used the same garage on the same day.
Anyway I have sent him down there to get the money back. If they won't give it to him I will have to go...and then :scared:
Old Sep 26th 2006, 10:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I always check but OH can be a bit vague about exact amounts but I know roughly how much petrol he uses a week. I probably wouldn't have spotted it had we both not used the same garage on the same day.
Anyway I have sent him down there to get the money back. If they won't give it to him I will have to go...and then :scared:

Yep...us Yorkshire lasses don't mince our words do we?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 10:49 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid question time - had the amount cleared, was it still pending?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I'd report them to the Energy Commissioner in your state. The fuel pumps normally have his/her name/number on.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Bank of America have stopped my debit card 3 times in the last couple of months because of suspected fraud. Each time it has involved a gas station. The bank told me that 99% of suspected fraudulent debit card transactions are at gas stations.

I have now started using my credit card more than my debit card and I have recently noticed that some stores are not asking me to sign anything when I use my credit card. Is this a new thing with the credit card companies?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by mandpete
Bank of America have stopped my debit card 3 times in the last couple of months because of suspected fraud. Each time it has involved a gas station. The bank told me that 99% of suspected fraudulent debit card transactions are at gas stations.

I have now started using my credit card more than my debit card and I have recently noticed that some stores are not asking me to sign anything when I use my credit card. Is this a new thing with the credit card companies?
Yes if the transaction is less than $25...or so I was told.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:14 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I've had that a couple of times, using a credit card for gas in dodgy parts of Philly. The card company refused it immediately, very odd.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I've had that a couple of times, using a credit card for gas in dodgy parts of Philly. The card company refused it immediately, very odd.
I took a call from the Secret Service today...about $12K that was billed on our credit card 3 yrs ago. They wanted to make sure that the credit card company had reversed the charges.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:19 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I took a call from the Secret Service today...about $12K that was billed on our credit card 3 yrs ago. They wanted to make sure that the credit card company had reversed the charges.
GW cheating on his expenses again?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
GW cheating on his expenses again?

He wouldn't do that would he?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:23 pm

He wouldn't do that would he?
12K is Halliburtons going rate for 100 gallons of gas to the military in Iraq.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite common for less than $20 transaction...
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:51 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard about it happening, what happens when you swipe your card before you know what the charge is going to be (eg petrol) is that the company blocks out a certain amount on your card, I have heard that with petrol stations it is around $60. When you fill up your tank, it it supposed to put through the charge that you have used, not the amount it has blocked out, although sometimes the wrong charge has been known to go through. Not sure if this is what happened to you.

The link will explain it better.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/gascharge.asp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.