British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Has anyone used USPS for passport shipping? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/has-anyone-used-usps-passport-shipping-904891/)

stubbzj12 Oct 22nd 2017 4:05 pm

Has anyone used USPS for passport shipping?

I sent my passport off for renewal on the 19th with USPS. I've then read online how bad USPS is compared to something like UPS and FedEx.

I'm now a bit worried because I wish I would of looked into it first before sendin it with USPS. I've got some tracking. It departed Miami Int yesterday, and now it's saying in transit to destination. Not sure what that means.

Hopefully all goes well. But, who else has shipped with USPS?

Thanks!

Jerseygirl Oct 22nd 2017 4:25 pm

Re: Has anyone used USPS for passport shipping?

Originally Posted by stubbzj12 (Post 12366328)
I sent my passport off for renewal on the 19th with USPS. I've then read online how bad USPS is compared to something like UPS and FedEx.

I'm now a bit worried because I wish I would of looked into it first before sendin it with USPS. I've got some tracking. It departed Miami Int yesterday, and now it's saying in transit to destination. Not sure what that means.

Hopefully all goes well. But, who else has shipped with USPS?

Thanks!

Not quite sure why you do not understand it. It means it left Miami (21st Oct) and is on its way to the UK.

CA-NY Oct 22nd 2017 4:27 pm

I run a business and only use USPS for shipping all over the US and the UK. It's very reliable in my opinion especially with tracking information. If it's left Miami, the next destination will be a Royal Mail depot somewhere in the UK and the tracking should update as it makes it way to the destination. Just keep checking every day or so for updates. I would say 6-10 days delivery to the UK is normal. The tracking number also works on the Royal Mail site.

Rete Oct 22nd 2017 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12366340)
Not quite sure why you do not understand it. It means it left Miami (21st Nov) and is on its way to the UK.

Think you mean October 21st ;)

stubbzj12 Oct 22nd 2017 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by CA-NY (Post 12366341)
I run a business and only use USPS for shipping all over the US and the UK. It's very reliable in my opinion especially with tracking information. If it's left Miami, the next destination will be a Royal Mail depot somewhere in the UK and the tracking should update as it makes it way to the destination. Just keep checking every day or so for updates. I would say 6-10 days delivery to the UK is normal. The tracking number also works on the Royal Mail site.

Thank you guys!

It's now saying "Processed Through Facility". Not sure how much longer until it actually leaves the USA.

Again, thanks!

petitefrancaise Oct 22nd 2017 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by stubbzj12 (Post 12366403)
Thank you guys!

It's now saying "Processed Through Facility". Not sure how much longer until it actually leaves the USA.

Again, thanks!

which level of speed did you buy? 3 days? 5 days? regular?

I sent our first passport renewal off several years ago using USPS and the system stopped tracking it upon arrival in the UK. Even when we got it back in the USA, the USPS system was still showing awaiting delivery. I now always send via UPS for $60.

stubbzj12 Oct 22nd 2017 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12366440)
which level of speed did you buy? 3 days? 5 days? regular?

I sent our first passport renewal off several years ago using USPS and the system stopped tracking it upon arrival in the UK. Even when we got it back in the USA, the USPS system was still showing awaiting delivery. I now always send via UPS for $60.

Too be completely honest, I have no idea. The person who helped me, wasn't really helpful at all. I had no idea what I was doing, and was seeking help from her and she didn't give me any. She just basically 'chose'. I asked for tracking, only to find out I can't really track when it's out of the USA.

Anyway, I spent $33. She did say it can take up to 10 days.

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 23rd 2017 12:20 am

Originally Posted by stubbzj12 (Post 12366403)
Thank you guys!

Again, thanks!

1-3 days on average from my experience tracking USPS international items.

Originally Posted by stubbzj12 (Post 12366446)
Too be completely honest, I have no idea. The person who helped me, wasn't really helpful at all. I had no idea what I was doing, and was seeking help from her and she didn't give me any. She just basically 'chose'. I asked for tracking, only to find out I can't really track when it's out of the USA.

Based on the time estimate and price sounds like you sent it Priority Mail which may or may not offer tracking once outside of the US, depends on the destination postal system.

MrGlasgow Oct 23rd 2017 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by stubbzj12 (Post 12366446)

I think you must have used EMS Priority Express.

It takes an approx 7 to 10 days to reach UK.

USPS uses parcelforce to deliver stuffs within UK .

Try this with your USPS tracking number. (little bit extra info)
https://www.packagetrackr.com

Jack8602 Oct 23rd 2017 9:29 pm

USPS conveniently lost a package worth about $500 i sent to the UK. glad i insured it, and got that back - but i won't use them again, except for crap mail, cards etc.

stubbzj12 Oct 24th 2017 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by MrGlasgow (Post 12367104)
I think you must have used EMS Priority Express.

It takes an approx 7 to 10 days to reach UK.

USPS uses parcelforce to deliver stuffs within UK .

Try this with your USPS tracking number. (little bit extra info)
https://www.packagetrackr.com

Thanks for that website. It has more useful information.

It's not really updated. The last update was yesterday at 9:30am. It says it has departed "HEATHROW, LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM". Call me paranoid, but shouldn't it have arrived or at least updated by now? It's going to be delivered by Parcelforce, but on there main website it says it hasn't even left the USA yet... On USPS, it says it departed Heathrow, London. Strange...

Anyone have any idea how long I'm looking for it to be received? I'm sorry if I'm really paranoid. Just want it to get there safe and sound.

Thanks a lot guys!

CA-NY Oct 24th 2017 7:17 pm

You're still only on day 5 since mailing. USPS tracking seems to suggest it's making its way through the mail system just fine. After Heathrow the next destination will likely be a Royal Mail sorting office / depot near the delivery location. Several people here (including the person at your post office) have said it could take up to 10 days so I think you just need to be patient.

stubbzj12 Oct 24th 2017 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by CA-NY (Post 12367759)
You're still only on day 5 since mailing. USPS tracking seems to suggest it's making its way through the mail system just fine. After Heathrow the next destination will likely be a Royal Mail sorting office / depot near the delivery location. Several people here (including the person at your post office) have said it could take up to 10 days so I think you just need to be patient.

I'll be patient. Sorry! :)

Thank you!

morpeth Oct 24th 2017 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by stubbzj12 (Post 12367745)

It's not really updated. The last update was yesterday at 9:30am. It says it has departed "HEATHROW, LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM". Call me paranoid, but shouldn't it have arrived or at least updated by now? It's going to be delivered by Parcelforce, but on there main website it says it hasn't even left the USA yet... On USPS, it says it departed Heathrow, London. Strange...

Anyone have any idea how long I'm looking for it to be received? I'm sorry if I'm really paranoid. Just want it to get there safe and sound.

Thanks a lot guys!

I have some similar experiences with USPS, and very frustrating when they offer "tracking" yet when package gets to to a foreign country all of a sudden no more. I did find out there is a number which public cant call but post office from where you sent package, can call which will contact foreign post office to see what happened. It took a bit of doing for local post office to make the call, they did and and next day got information on where package was.

The "top of the line" USPS service is actually handled by FedEx, and works quite well but of course costs more.

MrGlasgow Oct 24th 2017 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by stubbzj12 (Post 12367745)

Thanks a lot guys!

I had a similar experience recently. The status, HEATHROW, LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM", will be like that for a couple of days probably and then the status will be delivered.

It took 7 days for me.

Regards