Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Taken A Dog Over?

Has Anyone Taken A Dog Over?

Old Jun 19th 2010, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough
Default Has Anyone Taken A Dog Over?

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has taken a dog with them on their move? I was mostly interested in how long your quarantine was for. I just want to set my expectations.

Cheers,
Old Jun 19th 2010, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Has Anyone Taken A Dog Over?

Loads of people. No quarantine in the US. You can do a search on the Wiki for other threads about it.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have done that, just for a long holiday, not to stay in the US.
You must have certificate for an anti rabies jab.
Carriage of animals is very expensive from the UK, expect about £800 (one way) for a medium size dog.
Size of an approved cage is important for the animal's welfare, do not administer any calming drugs etc is the opinion of most vets.
I brought my dog over from France, cost 200 euros.
Atlanta was 'difficult', watch out for embargoes due to extreme temperatures high or low.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys, no wonder I couldn't find any info on quarantine times if there are none

It'll be a corporate relocation so we won't be footing the bill directly (phew!) and we're coming from Sydney which is a certified rabies free country so I'll investigate whether he'll still need a shot.

Thanks again - something I can cross off my logistical list
Old Jun 19th 2010, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

UK is also rabies free but you still need the jab for the US as far as I know.
Also the jab cert. must match the dog's id, i.e. his micro chip or tattoo number.

Good luck.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 10:27 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Every state has slightly different regulations in terms of required paperwork, vaccinations, etc. Also, (I believe) the animal import regs are determined by different organisations in each state. So be careful assuming that advice given on here by someone who brought their dog to Texas will apply to bringing your dog to, say, Georgia.

I think contacting the state office of the USDA may be a good place to begin as they will probably know where to send you next to find out the regs. Alternatively, search through the faculty list at various vet schools in the state you are immigrating to and see if there may be a friendly faculty member who will again, at least point you in the right direction (it was a prof at NC State who helped me out last time).

p.s. Besides rabies, another preventive measure you might consider is heartworm, which is prevalent in many (most?) States in the US - if you wait until you get there, you risk the dog getting heartworm, or at best having to pay for a heartworm test before they will prescribe heartworm tablets.

p.p.s. I followed all the regs for North Carolina, but when we came through Charlotte Airport, they didn't give a toss what paperwork I had, so I could have got away with doing nothing - but better safe than sorry.

Bottom line, I think you will need to do a little digging to get the correct information on the state you are moving to, but at least there's no quarantine in any state.

Last edited by dunroving; Jun 19th 2010 at 10:35 am.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

bostonbound will become famous soon enough

Hi, we brought our dog over from Heathrow to Boston a few months ago. Like others have said, each state has different rules and you should be able to find online what your particular state requires. As well as this, Virgin had some requirements too, so check with the airline you will be using. Our vet in England was really knowledgeable so he helped as well. We didn't pay ourselves either, thankfully, as the cost for our dog, excluding the crate, was over 1000 GBP!
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SamG
... we're coming from Sydney which is a certified rabies free country so I'll investigate whether he'll still need a shot.
Sydney is a country? At any rate, the rabies shot is a US requirement, whether your country is rabies free or not.

Oh... here's a pic of Sydney - our ACD/Wolf mix:

Ian
Attached Thumbnails Has Anyone Taken A Dog Over?-syd-grown.jpg  
Old Jun 19th 2010, 2:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SamG
Sydney which is a certified rabies free country so I'll investigate whether he'll still need a shot.
The rabies shot is to keep him safe in the states -- not to keep other dogs safe from him. The US is definitely not rabies free, so whatever the regulations, your dog needs the shot for his own (and your!) protection. It is preferable to have his projection in place before you set off, rather than getting him up to speed with the shots when he arrives.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 10:01 pm
Left the homeland Nov '04

pootle_monster is just really nicepootle_monster is just really nicepootle_monster is just really nicepootle_monster is just really nicepootle_monster is just really nicepootle_monster is just really nicepootle_monster is just really nicepootle_monster is just really nicepootle_monster is just really nicepootle_monster is just really nicepootle_monster is just really nice

We shipped out Border collie (Max) out to Vegas in 2005, he flew with a special company that collected him from his "grandparents" house, drove him to Heathrow where they crated him up for a hop to New York, where he got to have a wee and stretch his legs, and then finally a flight onto our house in Vegas.

He was fine, and very well looked after. Though he did appear to have drunk 4cups of coffee though!!

Before he could fly he had to have all his shots up to date, although as soon as he was out here they had to give him all new "American" shots including Rabies again! Just in case there is a run in with an infected raccoon or something!

It cost us about 1500 GBP for the door to door service, but it was totally worth it!

Good luck!