Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has anyone returned to UK from US .. and then went back to the US again!!!

Has anyone returned to UK from US .. and then went back to the US again!!!

Old Feb 1st 2005, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

The Undecided Scot is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Has anyone returned to UK from US .. and then went back to the US again!!!

Are there any expats out there that have moved:

1. from the UK
2. ....to the US....
3. ...returned to the UK.....
4.......and then went back to the US again....

If so, I would very interested to know the reasons why, and any other useful info. (e.g. Why did you return to the UK in the first place; On your return to the UK, were you disappointed at what you found? Did you move back to same area of US? Do you regret moving back to the US?).

The reason I ask, is that this might be my situation...... (previously been in US for 4 yrs/been in UK 1 year/considering job offer which would return me to US...)

HELP..................
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone returned to UK from US .. and then went back to the US again!!!

Originally Posted by The Undecided Scot

Are there any expats out there that have moved:

1. from the UK
2. ....to the US....
3. ...returned to the UK.....
4.......and then went back to the US again....

If so, I would very interested to know the reasons why, and any other useful info. (e.g. Why did you return to the UK in the first place; On your return to the UK, were you disappointed at what you found? Did you move back to same area of US? Do you regret moving back to the US?).

The reason I ask, is that this might be my situation...... (previously been in US for 4 yrs/been in UK 1 year/considering job offer which would return me to US...)

HELP..................
Yes, I did (to US in 1990, to UK (Glasgow) in 2000, back here in 2001). Will probably go to UK again (for good this time - honest!) in summer 2006.

I returned to the UK to be back home and close to family. Job wasn't all it was cracked up to be by a long shot - and at the stage I was in in my career it could have been disastrous - so I came back here to a job offer I couldn't turn down (though it was a difficult decision).

Now I've been back here 4 years, accomplished a lot, padded my vitae considerably, and am ready to go home. My H1B expires May 2006 and I haven't put in for a GC, so summer '06 seems like a logical time - plus, I'm "ready".

I haven't regretted any of my moves, though the latter two were very costly in many ways.

You can see my profile for a complete run-down of where in the US I've been.