Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has anyone registered with the British Consulate?

Has anyone registered with the British Consulate?

Old Jun 20th 2007, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone registered with the British Consulate?

And if you did, any tips?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 3:38 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone registered with the British Consulate?

Originally Posted by Mandana
And if you did, any tips?
Whatever for...

http://www.britainusa.com/alerting/ if you must ...
Old Jun 20th 2007, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Whatever for...

http://www.britainusa.com/alerting/ if you must ...
Cheers Ray. I'll pass that link onto OH who mentioned it.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 3:54 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Ray. I'll pass that link onto OH who mentioned it.
Your only registering to get emails of a boring nature ...
Old Jun 20th 2007, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ray
Your only registering to get emails of a boring nature ...
Actually I'm not sure (having looked at the site) if that's what he meant when he said about registering with them. I'll forward the link though and leave it with him. I've enough to deal with the 'final' move imminent!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 4:19 am
Ray

Actually I'm not sure (having looked at the site) if that's what he meant when he said about registering with them. I'll forward the link though and leave it with him. I've enough to deal with the 'final' move imminent!
USA is not a third world country .....
where you are highly recommended to register
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:42 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
USA is not a third world country .....
where you are highly recommended to register
In many 3rd world countries you also need to watch out for police registration requirements that kick in after a few weeks. In China you are suppose to register with the local police if you stay more than a week, in Jordan if you stay more than a month, etc. It's one of the most commonly forgotten things for expats, but it is something you should consider if off to some really odd places.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
In many 3rd world countries you also need to watch out for police registration requirements that kick in after a few weeks. In China you are suppose to register with the local police if you stay more than a week, in Jordan if you stay more than a month, etc. It's one of the most commonly forgotten things for expats, but it is something you should consider if off to some really odd places.
We registered with the Brit Con when in Indonesia but no need here.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:08 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Has anyone registered with the British Consulate?

For a few weeks after 11th Sept 2001 the British consulate in NYC was collecting names and addresses of British expats, but they abandoned doing so shortly afterwards.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
For a few weeks after 11th Sept 2001 the British consulate in NYC was collecting names and addresses of British expats, but they abandoned doing so shortly afterwards.
Defo worth it in someplaces. The Brit Con should offer it here regardless. We even had district emergency co-ordinators in Indonesia incase of social upheavals / riots etc. I always thought it was a bit pointless until the day we had armed soldiers with machine guns guarding the expat compound we lived in....
Old Jun 21st 2007, 5:09 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised to see that non of you seem interested in registering with the British Consulate.. if nothing else you'd be allowed to vote?. Mind you I was in England for ages and never bothered registering at my consulate so I guess it counts like I was in Spain all along! but I did register as soon as I arrived here as it was a requirement for my (Spanish) mortgage... So now I'll be able to vote in the national elections ...
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
I am surprised to see that non of you seem interested in registering with the British Consulate.. if nothing else you'd be allowed to vote?
Overseas voting for British citizens is arranged through your most recent local authority in Britain.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 12:08 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Not registered, and the page Ray sent won't let me. Guess I'll just have to miss out on all the important alerts
Old Jun 21st 2007, 12:13 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by rincewind
Not registered, and the page Ray sent won't let me. Guess I'll just have to miss out on all the important alerts
Damn..you will miss out when Blair get a pimple on his arse alert
Old Jun 21st 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Overseas voting for British citizens is arranged through your most recent local authority in Britain.
Yeah but you can only vote for the first 15 years while you live abraod and then you're struck off! Which is a bit of a disgrace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.