Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has anyone noticed the question inflection?

Wikiposts

Has anyone noticed the question inflection?

Old Nov 9th 2005, 5:35 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone noticed the question inflection?

Originally Posted by Eskimo
er ...because they are not from the UK and have different accents and intonation I know my accent is just as annoying to my co-workers
I don't find anybody's accents or intonations annoying. Perhaps it's because I'm not a petty whiny assed bore.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 5:38 am
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I don't find anybody's accents or intonations annoying. Perhaps it's because I'm not a petty whiny assed bore.
Or maybe its because you're too busy listening to the sound of your own voice to concern yourself with anything else?
Old Nov 9th 2005, 5:43 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
Or maybe its because you're too busy listening to the sound of your own voice to concern yourself with anything else?
Yes, I'm quite sure you're right. I know when I'm in London I get really pissed off at them speaking with an English accent.... bastards.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 5:48 am
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice

Yes, I'm quite sure you're right. I know when I'm in London I get really pissed off at them speaking with an English accent.... bastards.
I'm not talking about the ACCENT that is not what I was referring to at all.
I don't have any problem with the American drawl, its the making a statement like its a question that gets on my tits.

Maybe I'm just too much of a stickler when it comes to language usuage? - Ha, see they've got me doing it now!
Old Nov 9th 2005, 5:52 am
WTF?

I'm not talking about the ACCENT that is not what I was referring to at all.
I don't have any problem with the American drawl, its the making a statement like its a question that gets on my tits.

Maybe I'm just too much of a stickler when it comes to language usuage? - Ha, see they've got me doing it now!
It's not language usage it's inflection.... and it's regional.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 5:59 am
Banned

Pardon me I meant inflection/ways of speaking. Whatever it is, it will continue to be a pet hate of mine until I stop noticing and start doing it myself.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 6:23 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

and Global
Old Nov 9th 2005, 6:30 am
Banned

and Global
Is it, really? I know that Australians and American's do it and I heard a few brits doing it before I came over, where else do they do it?
Old Nov 9th 2005, 7:17 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it, really? I know that Australians and American's do it and I heard a few brits doing it before I came over, where else do they do it?
what intonation ? isnt it the basis of the way we deliver language

Last edited by Eskimo; Nov 9th 2005 at 7:20 am.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 7:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

There are people in London with English accents????? :scared:
Old Nov 9th 2005, 7:30 am
Banned

what intonation ? isnt it the basis of the way we deliver language
I was referring to the question intonation when making a statement...
Old Nov 9th 2005, 7:59 am

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with whoever said it is a subset of young, prissy, women who do this. I don't think it is regional although maybe in the south the drawl cancels out the intonation.

Whatever it is, it is hugely annoying and I emphasise with you Nia.

A lot of people in England have picked this up due to watching American tv shows.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently it is called High Rising Terminal (HRT), or more derogatively, Australian Questioning Intonation in Britain. It occurs in the regional variations of many countries and is thought to encourage further communication - so it's more commonly used by women.

Source
Old Nov 9th 2005, 8:33 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I agree with whoever said it is a subset of young, prissy, women who do this. I don't think it is regional although maybe in the south the drawl cancels out the intonation.

Whatever it is, it is hugely annoying and I emphasise with you Nia.

A lot of people in England have picked this up due to watching American tv shows.
I infanticide with her, emphatically .
Old Nov 9th 2005, 8:44 am

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

I infanticide with her, emphatically .
Yes, as soon as I pressed submit reply, I realised my spelling error, knowing one of you will pick up on it. I meant empathise. Or should I say, empathize????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.