Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has anyone noticed...

Has anyone noticed...

Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:11 pm
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice
Default Has anyone noticed...

That despite America being 'the land of plenty' there is a lot less to choose from in terms of brands in this country. I always marvel at this fact whenever I go to the Supemarket. The other day I was looking for some cough medicine and pretty much my ONLY choice at the local Eckerd was Robitussin, Robitussin or Robitussin! Back home you have Vicks, benilyn, Covonia etc etc (I'm not really a connoseiur on cough medicine I was just using that as an example)

Its the same with ANYTHING, pasta sauce, soup, yogurt and chocolate.
Why is that?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:17 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone noticed...

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
That despite America being 'the land of plenty' there is a lot less to choose from in terms of brands in this country. I always marvel at this fact whenever I go to the Supemarket. The other day I was looking for some cough medicine and pretty much my ONLY choice at the local Eckerd was Robitussin, Robitussin or Robitussin! Back home you have Vicks, benilyn, Covonia etc etc (I'm not really a connoseiur on cough medicine I was just using that as an example)

Why is that?

Hmmm, I'm not sure about that one. I always thought there was too much choice! Maybe it depends on the store? What pisses me off are the dirty tricks, like how the stoe brands are no longer the cheap ones, and if you buy the big sizes, its actually MORE expensive now (per oz etc)
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:22 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Why is that?
I'm with Chorlton on this. I think there is too much choice, instead of the intended purpose to make it quick and easy to get what you want, you spend 10 minutes choosing between Crunchy Almond Corn flakes and Crunchy almond Cinnamon Corn Flakes etc etc etc, and it actually slows down the shopping time.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:27 pm
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice

Ah yes, cereal now THATS a different matter but as for the other stuff I'm obviously not shopping in the right places (Giant Eagle, Walmart)
Also what really gets on my mammaries is the fact that they put BROWN SUGAR in the bloody baked beans here, I never tasted anything so disgusting.

Also, can anyone tell me where I can get proper bacon (not that smoked streaky kind) and sausages that don't look like they've been already been digested - twice.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:31 pm

Ah yes, cereal now THATS a different matter but as for the other stuff I'm obviously not shopping in the right places (Giant Eagle, Walmart)
Also what really gets on my mammaries is the fact that they put BROWN SUGAR in the bloody baked beans here, I never tasted anything so disgusting.

Also, can anyone tell me where I can get proper bacon (not that smoked streaky kind) and sausages that don't look like they've been already been digested - twice.
Stay away from the US baked beans - most of them have meat in too. Look for Irish bacon (they love anything Irish for some reason, but everyone goes quiet when you ask them about their IRA donations...). Back bacon will be very hard to find though.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Stay away from the US baked beans - most of them have meat in too. Look for Irish bacon (they love anything Irish for some reason, but everyone goes quiet when you ask them about their IRA donations...). Back bacon will be very hard to find though.
Arse, I could kill for a bacon sarnie but then it wouldn't really be a bacon sarnie without brown sauce!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:34 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Arse, I could kill for a bacon sarnie but then it wouldn't really be a bacon sarnie without brown sauce!
I've got some HP sauce My sister brings it over in catering sized bottles.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:35 pm

Now borwn sauce is pretty easy to obtain So if you can settle for streaky unsmoked bacon then you'll be okay...unless you want real bread!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I've got some HP sauce My sister brings it over in catering sized bottles.
You lucky git!

I'm going to load up my suitcase with it when I go back over... In fact I think I'll take a spare one with me and just fill it up with food.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Now borwn sauce is pretty easy to obtain So if you can settle for streaky unsmoked bacon then you'll be okay...unless you want real bread!
Oh my god don't even get me started on that chewy CAKE crap! Why do americans insist on putting sugar in everything?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:38 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Giant Eagle now sells HP sauce and other stuff like real heinz beans and spaghetti.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
Giant Eagle now sells HP sauce and other stuff like real heinz beans and spaghetti.
Where? They don't at the moon township or robinson one!

I'm not salivating honest...
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:42 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I can get Irish Back bacon at a little import shop down the road, its a dollar a slice though, so I keep it for special occasions
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:46 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Krogers stock HP Sauce too, along with real Heinz Baked Beans.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by syllk
Krogers stock HP Sauce too, along with real Heinz Baked Beans.
Damn....are there Krogers on the East coast?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.