Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has anyone made the move on their own?

Has anyone made the move on their own?

Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

seabiscuit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone made the move on their own?

Hi everyone.

I'm 21, and if all goes to plan, I'll be moving to Florida in February. I'm really excited about it, because I see it as an adventure, and I've spent most of the last 3 years in the same area, so I know I'm happy there.

But I've got all the regular worries, mainly not fitting in, not making friends, being alone...I'm a pretty independant person, but it's really daunting just to think that I'll be almost 5000 miles away from my family, especially my mum, who I'm really close to.

I have a lot of friends in the US, however over the last 3 years, they've all grown wings and flown, and only one is left in the area, who happens to be my ex (luckily we're still on good terms!)

I've been reading through the boards and seeing other people's experiences with moving away, but most people seem to have moved with their family, or to be with someone. I feel like I'm doing this completely on my own!

How did you make friends? Good or bad experiences?
Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:53 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone made the move on their own?

If I remember you want to go to Orlando ....
its full of brit tourist all the time .....what a shit hole it is
crime ridden, expensive, and an ugly place ...plenty of 2 week
totty though
Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:54 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
...plenty of 2 week
totty though
I'm moving myself.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I'm moving myself.
You couldn't take the heat .....
Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seabiscuit
Hi everyone.

I'm 21, and if all goes to plan, I'll be moving to Florida in February. I'm really excited about it, because I see it as an adventure, and I've spent most of the last 3 years in the same area, so I know I'm happy there.

But I've got all the regular worries, mainly not fitting in, not making friends, being alone...I'm a pretty independant person, but it's really daunting just to think that I'll be almost 5000 miles away from my family, especially my mum, who I'm really close to.

I have a lot of friends in the US, however over the last 3 years, they've all grown wings and flown, and only one is left in the area, who happens to be my ex (luckily we're still on good terms!)

I've been reading through the boards and seeing other people's experiences with moving away, but most people seem to have moved with their family, or to be with someone. I feel like I'm doing this completely on my own!

I'd move to a different area if I were you, Yanks are pretty friendly, but in Orlando they're probably pissed off with all the Brits.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Actually, I've spent the last 3 years (off and on) in the Gotha-Windermere rather than Orlando, and I love it there. Rarely do I venture into Orlando, because to be honest, the tourists piss me off.

The only difference is that this time I'll be working, and my ex won't be by my side the whole time, and I'll be forced to make new friends.

I didn't come here looking for negative remarks about the place I have chosen to call home. If you don't like it, I don't particularly care. I simply asked a question and wanted some opinions.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 1:13 pm
Ray

I didn't come here looking for negative remarks about the place I have chosen to call home. If you don't like it, I don't particularly care. I simply asked a question and wanted some opinions.
And thats exactly what you got .......
Old Nov 17th 2006, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I've spent the last 3 years (off and on) in the Gotha-Windermere rather than Orlando, and I love it there. Rarely do I venture into Orlando, because to be honest, the tourists piss me off.

The only difference is that this time I'll be working, and my ex won't be by my side the whole time, and I'll be forced to make new friends.

This being the key. My first 18 months were spent on my own in Chicago, I met friends through work, and their friends and so on... it's tough and sometimes I questioned whether or not I could stay, but I did and I don't regret it.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
And thats exactly what you got .......
Did I? Sorry, I thought I posted asking for opinions on moving somewhere on my own and meeting new people. And I thought I got a reply of

"its full of brit tourist all the time .....what a shit hole it is
totty though"

Apologies!!! I'll go get my eyes checked...
Old Nov 17th 2006, 1:32 pm
Ray

Did I? Sorry, I thought I posted asking for opinions on moving somewhere on my own and meeting new people. And I thought I got a reply of ...
You have a lot to learn
Old Nov 17th 2006, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Did I? Sorry, I thought I posted asking for opinions on moving somewhere on my own and meeting new people. And I thought I got a reply of

"its full of brit tourist all the time .....what a shit hole it is
totty though"

Apologies!!! I'll go get my eyes checked...
She can stay!! She's amusing in a pissed of snotty teenager type way.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rushman
She can stay!! She's amusing in a pissed of snotty teenager type way.
What the hell is wrong with you all? I come here looking for advice and help and you don't have the decency to help, just to make some smartass remarks and put me down? What are you gaining from it, huh?

God, I simply wanted to be able to talk to people who have done the same thing I have done for advice. I dont know whether you all think you're suddenly superior to everyone else or what, but pull the sticks out of your ass. I've done nothing wrong, just starting posting on this website.

And don't bother replying, don't waste the brainpower (ha) because I wont waste my time reading these boards anymore. I'll gladly find another forum where the people are worth speaking to.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 1:42 pm
Ray

What the hell is wrong with you all? I come here looking for advice and help and you don't have the decency to help, just to make some smartass remarks and put me down? What are you gaining from it, huh?

God, I simply wanted to be able to talk to people who have done the same thing I have done for advice. I dont know whether you all think you're suddenly superior to everyone else or what, but pull the sticks out of your ass. I've done nothing wrong, just starting posting on this website.

And don't bother replying, don't waste the brainpower (ha) because I wont waste my time reading these boards anymore. I'll gladly find another forum where the people are worth speaking to.
Here you go try ... www.thefloridaforum.us bye Doris ............
Old Nov 17th 2006, 1:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

Were you here as a student during the last 3 years? Will you have to get a visa to live here and do you know how feasible it is for you to get one.

You are young so you will probably adjust easily. You will be working I presume...so you will meet lots of new people and make friends through your job. Yes you will miss your mother but you've already been here for 3 years...did you miss her during this time?

You really need to tell us more about your situation if you want help. You have no idea the amount of new people we get on this forum who say they want to live in Florida. They have no job here, no visa etc. and get upset with us when they are told it's a non starter...it's very difficult to come and live here legally.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Here you go try ... www.thefloridaforum.us bye Doris ............

morning ray..you and joycee doing ok?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.