Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has anyone "given up everything" to repatriate to the UK?

Has anyone "given up everything" to repatriate to the UK?

Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:56 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Has anyone "given up everything" to repatriate to the UK?

Hi everyone. DH (UKC) and I (USC) have been living in the states for 4 years now and last week he received his US Citizenship.

For quite a long time now we have been discussing moving back to the UK, but now that he has received his citizenship, the discussion has become much more serious.

FYI, my husband is 49 and works in IT. I am 54 and am a Legal Secretary. We own a small but nice house here in South Carolina, and just finished remodeling a 2-room annex in our back garden. Our plan is to let out the annex and the house once we move. I already have a NI number as I did work (briefly) for a Solicitor right before we moved to America. We know that we can stay with family in the London area (Kew) while we look for jobs....but here is my question:

Has anyone here up and sold everything in order to make the move back?

When DH and I start talking about moving back to the UK, we both agree that "traveling light" (i.e., with just our clothes) makes us much more flexible with regard to accomodation (ex.- we have a gorgeous king-size 4-poster bed but can you imagine the restrictions it would put on us in searching for accomodation if we were to ship this over?). Additionally, shipping virtually nothing over saves us loads of money.

There was a time in my life when I wouldn't be able to do something like this but the idea of "traveling light" has appeal. It seems like the older I become, the less attached I am to "things" and the more content I am with living in simplicity.

Just wondering if anyone has been down this path before? Or if not, I would love to hear the various "plans" people put in place in order to make the move back to the UK....when you really don't have much $$$. (Selling our house here in the US is not an option - we've only been in it 2 years, have very little if any equity built up, and housing market is - as everyone knows - not good at the mo'. With closing costs, we'd probably end up losing money on the deal if we were to sell the house.) It seems like every time I read a post in these forums (and others), the people repatriating are returning with hundreds of thousands of dollars - this is certainly not the case for us!

Cheers.

Last edited by DDL; Nov 10th 2008 at 4:03 am.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Has anyone "given up everything" to repatriate to the UK?

Hmmm, I am younger than you but also over "stuff".
I am considering giving my worldly goods here in Aus to a charity that sets up homeless young people into housing, helps them find jobs etc. They take everything from furniture to crockery to computers.

Some of my stuff is still quite nice, but eg my trendy modular lounge has never fitted since we moved to our current house and it will cost me AUD $8000 for a shipping container, so I am thinking might be as well to leave it here, it will never fit a smaller house in the UK either. Some is old and would be getting replaced soon anyway.

And it takes approx 3 months for the stuff to arrive and in the meantime what would I do etc.

So yes I am hearing you, sounds like a plan.

I am a bit worried about your financial situation though, have you guys started a pension or anything yet, and will the rent cover the mortgage?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

franki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nice

Originally Posted by DDL
Hi everyone. DH (UKC) and I (USC) have been living in the states for 4 years now and last week he received his US Citizenship.

For quite a long time now we have been discussing moving back to the UK, but now that he has received his citizenship, the discussion has become much more serious.

FYI, my husband is 49 and works in IT. I am 54 and am a Legal Secretary. We own a small but nice house here in South Carolina, and just finished remodeling a 2-room annex in our back garden. Our plan is to let out the annex and the house once we move. I already have a NI number as I did work (briefly) for a Solicitor right before we moved to America. We know that we can stay with family in the London area (Kew) while we look for jobs....but here is my question:

When DH and I start talking about moving back to the UK, we both agree that "traveling light" (i.e., with just our clothes) makes us much more flexible with regard to accomodation (ex.- we have a gorgeous king-size 4-poster bed but can you imagine the restrictions it would put on us in searching for accomodation if we were to ship this over?). Additionally, shipping virtually nothing over saves us loads of money.

There was a time in my life when I wouldn't be able to do something like this but the idea of "traveling light" has appeal. It seems like the older I become, the less attached I am to "things" and the more content I am with living in simplicity.

Just wondering if anyone has been down this path before? Or if not, I would love to hear the various "plans" people put in place in order to make the move back to the UK....when you really don't have much $$$. (Selling our house here in the US is not an option - we've only been in it 2 years, have very little if any equity built up, and housing market is - as everyone knows - not good at the mo'. With closing costs, we'd probably end up losing money on the deal if we were to sell the house.) It seems like every time I read a post in these forums (and others), the people repatriating are returning with hundreds of thousands of dollars - this is certainly not the case for us!

Cheers.
Yes. We had a nice house in the Cleveland area with a comfortable life. We sold our house for very little profit, most of which we spent on shipping our stuff back. We started off quite well to say we didn't have much money. My hubby got a job the second day here, however, I sent out about 50 resumes to different companies before we left which really helped and we stayed with family for the first month. Almost two years later we're planning the return trip as we just can't afford to live here in the UK. It sounds like a good idea to travel light and rent out your house just in case it doesn't work out. Some days I really regret giving it all up! Good luck!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

That is how I hope to do it, we will have to ship some stuff, Dh isn't over his stuff and has a collection of constantly used tools he really needs.
But I'd like to do it with two suitcases each and start over, we'd sell the house and furnishings too. Been here long enough to turn a profit and all the furniture is well worn by the kids so not worth much.
I figured we'd replace kitchen things from car boot sales and buy second hand. We also have the option of family to stay with until we find work and find a rental.
Dh fears change so this will be a hard sell for me
Old Nov 10th 2008, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Has anyone "given up everything" to repatriate to the UK?

Originally Posted by DDL

Cheers.
Hi there just a thought but could you rent your home out furnished maybe or store it all in the annex and not rent that part out? maybe not feasable but thought it was worth a mention.
Cheers
Cally
Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:49 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by cally49
Hi there just a thought but could you rent your home out furnished maybe or store it all in the annex and not rent that part out? maybe not feasable but thought it was worth a mention.
Cheers
Cally
Thanks for the thought, Cally. At one point we had thought about renting the house furnished but then decided against it. If anything, we might consider putting it in storage until we actually find accomodation and then deciding whether or not to bring it over. Hate to get rid of everything - but what's the point of having it all sit in storage forever? (or whatever)

By the way, I have a removals person coming around on Thursday night to give us a shipping estimate. Need to be well informed before we make any decisions. I guess we are rather lucky in one aspect in that we are in Charleston, SC which has a huge port.

We just put a little over $3,000 into the annex remodel so feel it necessary to use it as a rental. In 6 months, we will have recouped our remodeling costs and then it's pure profit after that.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:52 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
That is how I hope to do it, we will have to ship some stuff, Dh isn't over his stuff and has a collection of constantly used tools he really needs.
But I'd like to do it with two suitcases each and start over, we'd sell the house and furnishings too. Been here long enough to turn a profit and all the furniture is well worn by the kids so not worth much.
I figured we'd replace kitchen things from car boot sales and buy second hand. We also have the option of family to stay with until we find work and find a rental.
Dh fears change so this will be a hard sell for me
I'm here to lend you any support you need! Do you have a moving timeframe in mind? Lucky you to be able to get some equity out of your house. In our area, right now, the rental market is booming - but not the selling market.

Thanks for your reply!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:54 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by franki
Yes. We had a nice house in the Cleveland area with a comfortable life. We sold our house for very little profit, most of which we spent on shipping our stuff back. We started off quite well to say we didn't have much money. My hubby got a job the second day here, however, I sent out about 50 resumes to different companies before we left which really helped and we stayed with family for the first month. Almost two years later we're planning the return trip as we just can't afford to live here in the UK. It sounds like a good idea to travel light and rent out your house just in case it doesn't work out. Some days I really regret giving it all up! Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback. Whereabouts in the UK are you located? And I'm right there with you on the not selling our house bit. At least not initially. Might I ask: what was the ballpark figure on your shipping costs?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Has anyone "given up everything" to repatriate to the UK?

Originally Posted by DDL
Thanks for the thought, Cally. At one point we had thought about renting the house furnished but then decided against it. If anything, we might consider putting it in storage until we actually find accomodation and then deciding whether or not to bring it over. Hate to get rid of everything - but what's the point of having it all sit in storage forever? (or whatever)

By the way, I have a removals person coming around on Thursday night to give us a shipping estimate. Need to be well informed before we make any decisions. I guess we are rather lucky in one aspect in that we are in Charleston, SC which has a huge port.

We just put a little over $3,000 into the annex remodel so feel it necessary to use it as a rental. In 6 months, we will have recouped our remodeling costs and then it's pure profit after that.
Ah i see i know what you mean about the furniture bit though i have carted my furniture round for the past 6yrs lol (spent a fortune doing it too) I really ought to have sold it all when the farm was sold but the leather lounge suite that is now 15yrs old we paid about 15k for and so have been loath to sell it as its still in great condition and i'd probably recieve $500 lol...But then think to myself its all old memories and if i plan on starting a new life why would i want it lol............Well its great that you will recoup all your expenses from building the annex and you sound like you are starting to get all your ducks in a row.......
Cally
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:38 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Just my opinion but I'd still take your favorite pieces and ditch the rest no matter the expense. It's what puts the heart into a home. Plus one thing to remember is that you'll still have to buy furniture when you get there. It costs more to set up house again than it does to pay for the shipping.
If it costs $8,000, which is less than 4,000 pounds, it will cost more than this to furnish your new home.
Swings and roundabouts.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
I'm here to lend you any support you need! Do you have a moving timeframe in mind? Lucky you to be able to get some equity out of your house. In our area, right now, the rental market is booming - but not the selling market.

Thanks for your reply!
I'm looking four years out, so I hope the houses are gaining some value again by then. Ds#2 needs to complete high school and we'll be paying international fees anyway, so Dh has 4 more years to sock money in his retirement account.

I looked around at all our stuff this morning after cricket1 said it costs more to re do a house from scratch (I never really thought about it) I honestly don't have any pieces I'd like to bring back, maybe the TV armoire but it'd never fit in a UK house. But Dh does love his tool boxes, there are two that are fairly new and in excellent shape, we'll take those and all the family albums and pictures. Clothes and DS#1's guitar stuff. Not much else.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

franki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nice

Originally Posted by DDL
Thanks for the feedback. Whereabouts in the UK are you located? And I'm right there with you on the not selling our house bit. At least not initially. Might I ask: what was the ballpark figure on your shipping costs?
We're in Lancashire. I think we paid around $5000 for shipping pretty much everything from our 3 bedroomed house. I was very pleased with the company we used too. They would be my first choice on the return journey. Let me know if you would like their name.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:59 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franki
We're in Lancashire. I think we paid around $5000 for shipping pretty much everything from our 3 bedroomed house. I was very pleased with the company we used too. They would be my first choice on the return journey. Let me know if you would like their name.
Franki, I would love to have the shipping company details too as that's very reasonable.

As far as moving furniture goes, it is a bit of dilemma. A lot of my furniture may not go up the stairs in a tiny English cottage or through the door so I'm having to think about size more than anything. I do have some nice things though that have a lot of sentiment so on this basis I would be happy to pay for a container. I've got to ship 7 industrial machines and my entire workroom so I have to get a container anyway. I may as well fill it.

But I guess the main thing is asking yourself if the furniture you have is going to be of any use in a UK house. If not, you can always sell it then go to some of the auction rooms when you get home. Now that's good fun.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:08 pm
Banned

PS Franki says she paid $5,000 so that's approx 2,500 UK pounds. So you have to think how much it would cost to refurnish a home just with things like washing machine, TV, beds, lounge suite, etc. I personally think it would cost a lot more than 2,500 so I'm happy to pay shipping costs and through all my stuff into it. If it doesn't fit the house I move into, I'll give it away over there.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=islandergirl;6957955]I am considering giving my worldly goods here in Aus to a charity that sets up homeless young people into housing, helps them find jobs etc. They take everything from furniture to crockery to computers.

Can you give us their name islandergirl?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.