Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has anyone on this forum done a marathon?

Has anyone on this forum done a marathon?

Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:45 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone on this forum done a marathon?

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Lucky we had a thread on baking homemade pasties recently, eh? I imagine it's best to apply them cold, not piping hot from the oven.
You want to be the male model wearing pasties then? Go on!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

runningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nicerunningbird is just really nice

I've done the London 4 times and the New Forest once

I haven't done any since living here because i need to be stressed to train that flippin hard. Now the sunlounger gets all my stress

Are you thinking of doing one?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:53 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

****in crazy. It's unnatural and goes against God's will.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I agree! <-----26 miles-----> = car!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:10 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I agree! <-----26 miles-----> = car!
I know a family in my town that embodies every horrible stereotypical lazy Yank trait I've ever seen mentioned on this forum. Their son played soccer on my son's team a few years ago. At one end of the practice field (The front lawn of the elementary school) is a grocery store, at the other end is the school parking lot. The kids would use the "facilities" in the grocery store because the school was locked. During one practice, their son walked off the practice field to where we were sitting and told his mother that he needed to use the bathroom. They walked over to the Tahoe, pulled out onto the road, drove the length of the soccer field to the grocery store and up to the door where she let him out to go in and do his business. She then drove him back. During this time, there were two seperate cellphone calls between the husband and wife.

This also, coincidentally (), was during the windsprint part of practice. The kid was fat, and hated running. That, and the fact his parents fed him nothing but Lunchables and Mountain Dew probably didn't help with his juvenile diabetes much, so he was fitted with an insulin pump.

Attached Thumbnails Has anyone on this forum done a marathon?-lazy.jpg  
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:12 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

It's blasphemy and an abomination against God.

God's pissed.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I know a family in my town that embodies every horrible stereotypical lazy Yank trait I've ever seen mentioned on this forum. Their son played soccer on my son's team a few years ago. At one end of the practice field (The front lawn of the elementary school) is a grocery store, at the other end is the school parking lot. The kids would use the "facilities" in the grocery store because the school was locked. During one practice, their son walked off the practice field to where we were sitting and told his mother that he needed to use the bathroom. They walked over to the Tahoe, pulled out onto the road, drove the length of the soccer field to the grocery store and up to the door where she let him out to go in and do his business. She then drove him back. During this time, there were two seperate cellphone calls between the husband and wife.

This also, coincidentally (), was during the windsprint part of practice. The kid was fat, and hated running. That, and the fact his parents fed him nothing but Lunchables and Mountain Dew probably didn't help with his juvenile diabetes much, so he was fitted with an insulin pump.

Lots of it about! actually my son (16) is a juvenile diabetic, diagnosed when he was 7, I would love him to get the pump, mainly because of all the 'bumps' he has now from sticking needles in his arms,legs etc. His Dr says that he doesn't need it though, because he has such good control over his blood sugars! My son is not interested in having it fitted, so no big deal really. He has a hard time controlling his weight if he doesn't stay active, he plays raquetball and lifts weights, but he hates all the team sports in school.
This rental we are in till May, has a community postbox about 500 yards from the unit, my next door neighbour will get in her car (in her p.j's) and drive to the box to get her mail!! :curse:
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:34 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Lots of it about! actually my son (16) is a juvenile diabetic, diagnosed when he was 7, I would love him to get the pump, mainly because of all the 'bumps' he has now from sticking needles in his arms,legs etc. His Dr says that he doesn't need it though, because he has such good control over his blood sugars! My son is not interested in having it fitted, so no big deal really. He has a hard time controlling his weight if he doesn't stay active, he plays raquetball and lifts weights, but he hates all the team sports in school.
This rental we are in till May, has a community postbox about 500 yards from the unit, my next door neighbour will get in her car (in her p.j's) and drive to the box to get her mail!! :curse:
500 yds is a pretty fair walk!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:34 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I know lots of people who see completing a marathon as the gold standard of being a good runner. I disagree. I'm a fairly serious runner, but for two reasons, I'm not a big fan of marathons:

1. They're really bad for your body. The amount of mileage you need to put in to train for one (say 35-40 miles a week at peak) almost guarantees injury. Also, they're so punishing that it takes at least a couple of weeks to recover after completing a marathon. If you're running to keep your body healthy, a marathon is almost counter-productive.

2. For most people, a marathon is more about finishing than about the time. This seems pointless to me. Almost anyone can train for a few months and shuffle 26 miles at 12 minutes/mile pace. Doing a marathon fast (say, 8 minutes/mile or faster), now that's a challenge. Personally, I think it's harder to do something like complete a 5K in less than 17 minutes than to simply finish a marathon.

All of this is, of course, in my opinion only. I fully understand the sacrifice necessary to complete a marathon, it's just not for me. Personally, I'm more interested in shorter, faster races. More fun, less chance of injury and they can be just as challenging (in a different way).
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:39 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I know lots of people who see completing a marathon as the gold standard of being a good runner. I disagree. I'm a fairly serious runner, but for two reasons, I'm not a big fan of marathons:

1. They're really bad for your body. The amount of mileage you need to put in to train for one (say 35-40 miles a week at peak) almost guarantees injury. Also, they're so punishing that it takes at least a couple of weeks to recover after completing a marathon. If you're running to keep your body healthy, a marathon is almost counter-productive.

2. For most people, a marathon is more about finishing than about the time. This seems pointless to me. Almost anyone can train for a few months and shuffle 26 miles at 12 minutes/mile pace. Doing a marathon fast (say, 8 minutes/mile or faster), now that's a challenge. Personally, I think it's harder to do something like complete a 5K in less than 17 minutes than to simply finish a marathon.

All of this is, of course, in my opinion only. I fully understand the sacrifice necessary to complete a marathon, it's just not for me. Personally, I'm more interested in shorter, faster races. More fun, less chance of injury and they can be just as challenging (in a different way).
I have about as much interest in marathons as you do. I cannot for the life imagine why anyone would want to run with anyone else. I do middle distance running because I love running, I can set my own pace (if I want to run ridiculously hard for 3 or 4 miles I can) I can pretty much go anywhere and it's ME time. A good 8-10 mile run with just my headphones and a relatively predetermined route is wonderful stuff.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:06 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'll have you know I walk a couple of miles several times a year on my treadmill...so there.
I look at our treadmill several times a year.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:08 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11

Thanks Runningbird. Meep-meep/bottle-bottle.

I have to agree with you Hiro11, but I'm still torn. It would be a nice achievement, but as you say, it can be bad for your body. I read something yesterday about a study on recreational marathon runners where they found evidence of heart damage following the event.

My main goals are to lose some weight, get fitter, and experience the runner's high. To that end, I'm probably going to train for a couple of half-marathons and then possibly think about doing the full thing next year.

We'll see how it goes.

And I don't want to get all skeletal either.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:10 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

500 yds is a pretty fair walk!
Not with an iPod. I don't know how people ever ran/walked without one.

I'm guess the distance is closer to 200 yards. Can't say for sure though. Just a feeling.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Soccer Ref will become famous soon enough

I have run 3 Marathons, one London and 2 Humbersides.

I also ran a lot of half marathons, including the Great North Run (the field was 31,000 runners the year I did it). One of the most scenic was the Clumber Park Half Marathon in Nottinghamshire.

All this took place many years ago, when I was a fit referee, performing on the higher leagues. I used to run 3 miles every morning, as well as officiate on 3 football matches every week! Ah, those were the days!!
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

I did a half-marathon and a few 10ks back in the UK. And one time a "friend' of mine persuaded me to do Tough Guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tough_Guy_Competition
It was comfortably the most miserable experience of my life and will never be repeated.
I do promise myself to one day to a full marathon - just once.
Anyway I stopped running after moving to Atlanta and it being about 100 degrees every day for the first few months i was here.
Does anybody have any advice how you are supposed to run in that kind of weather because i'd like to start again?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.