British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Has Anyone Else Received "Self Certification of Tax Residency" Forms? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/has-anyone-else-received-self-certification-tax-residency-forms-902635/)

Cainess Aug 29th 2017 6:10 pm

Has Anyone Else Received "Self Certification of Tax Residency" Forms?

I have just received a letter (along with forms to fill & return) from the bank I had an account with when we lived in the UK, asking that I "self certify" the country of my "tax residency", which they are now obliged to 'identify' under current tax regulations.... :blink:

Has anyone else received similar, and is this 'standard', or some new means for Big Brother to have a hook in us??

Cook_County Aug 29th 2017 6:25 pm

Re: Has Anyone Else Received "Self Certification of Tax Residency" Forms?

Hundreds of millions of FATCA letters have been sent by financial institutions globally. FATCA was enacted back in 2010. It is not new.

robin1234 Aug 29th 2017 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12327011)
I have just received a letter (along with forms to fill & return) from the bank I had an account with when we lived in the UK, asking that I "self certify" the country of my "tax residency", which they are now obliged to 'identify' under current tax regulations.... :blink:

Has anyone else received similar, and is this 'standard', or some new means for Big Brother to have a hook in us??

Yeah this is pretty standard. I've been filling these in for my UK and Isle of Man bank accounts for several years now.

Cainess Aug 29th 2017 7:46 pm

Thanks guys. Good to know it's not some sneaky manoeuvre by the bank to try to get me liable for some other con they're pulling...!!

celticgrid Aug 29th 2017 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Cainess (Post 12327011)
I have just received a letter (along with forms to fill & return) from the bank I had an account with when we lived in the UK

Do you still have a relationship with the bank? You use the past tense. If you no longer have an account with the bank I wonder why they are writing to you. Unless you had the account until recently?

Cook_County Aug 30th 2017 8:05 am

You'll already be reporting the account on your FBAR & 8938 each year (if required). This letter changes nothing.

Cainess Aug 30th 2017 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by celticgrid (Post 12327217)
Do you still have a relationship with the bank? You use the past tense. If you no longer have an account with the bank I wonder why they are writing to you. Unless you had the account until recently?

No, the account is still technically 'open', though I've no doubt it's probably 'in the red' by now since we cleaned it out before we emigrated, and that was nearly 5 years ago, so any bank 'charges' or fees would have taken it into minus figures... haven't cared enough to check it.

Either way, it seems their request for Tax Residency (which basically equates to them wanting my SS number....) isn't unusual....