Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been stopped and asked to see their Green Card?

Has anyone been stopped and asked to see their Green Card?

Old Dec 18th 2018, 12:43 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone been stopped and asked to see their Green Card?

Originally Posted by jkeller
^^^^^^
Other than not being in the US legally is there a reason you wouldn't qualify? Not being snarky, just curious.
It can be hard for folks to produce the documentation. In NM, there are people born in pueblos who don’t automatically have birth certificates and there are a lot of people named in the Spanish tradition who have a difficult time linking names in their documents together to federal satisfaction. There are people getting their names changed to match old documents, and others getting SSN cards reissued under their current surnames. Since all this has nothing to do with driving, many are opting to get the non-Real ID version.

Most members of this forum have had to prove ID dozens of times, so it can be hard to understand the obstacles others are stuck with.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 1:48 am
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by civilservant
Isn't there a US Passport card for use domestically? Problem solved!
Yup, when I was naturalized and applied for the US Passport and I paid the extra $30 for the card at the same time. I carry that in a separate wallet to my GA DL as well. I did it to stop zealous cops in boondock counties if needs be. Never needed it yet! I used to carry a photocopy of my GC when I had that.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 3:17 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

When you naturalize, you're supposed to contact Social Security to get your SSN updated to show you're a citizen. I'm not brown enough to have my citizenship questioned but I wonder if a quick check of the SSN would be enough to confirm status so you wouldn't have to carry your passport, or the card around all the time.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I keep getting stopped and asked where in Ireland I'm from.

The looks on their faces when I tell them I've never been there...
Old Dec 21st 2018, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I keep getting stopped and asked where in Ireland I'm from.

The looks on their faces when I tell them I've never been there...
Pfft, you're all Celts, are you not? At least you don't get mistaken for a South African or Antipodean!
Old Dec 21st 2018, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but I'm not Irish.
Sense of humour bypass?
Old Dec 21st 2018, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeterFrank
Potentially off topic. But I never carry my GC on me and have a copy on my cell phone. Has anyone been stopped and asked to produce their GC? If you didn't have it on you what happened next?
It's more likely to happen in the states bordering Mexico and Canada. My neighbor, a US citizen, was stopped a few months ago in Vermont. He was asked for proof of US citizenship but didn't have his passport with him as he hadn't been out of the country on the trip. I think he said he had to bring it into a police station later.
Old Dec 21st 2018, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The only proofs of US Citizenship would be your original certified birth certificate...
Although often accepted as proof of US citizenship, a US birth cert is not actually definitive proof of US citizenship. Children born in the US of foreign diplomats can get US birth certs but they are not entitled to US citizenship. The best way to prove US citizenship is with a US passport (book or card).
Old Dec 21st 2018, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack8602
Having recently just got mine, in my letter it said to carry it with me at all times, which is further backed up on https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/aft...n-card-granted

I keep mine with me in my wallet.
I didn't feel comfortable carrying mine around all the time. For short trips, I kept mine safely hidden at home and carried a photocopy with me (in the days before smartphones). I took the actual card with me if I went on long trips inside or outside the US.
Old Dec 21st 2018, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
When you naturalize, you're supposed to contact Social Security to get your SSN updated to show you're a citizen. I'm not brown enough to have my citizenship questioned but I wonder if a quick check of the SSN would be enough to confirm status so you wouldn't have to carry your passport, or the card around all the time.
Not on its own - you'd still need a photo ID. And who wants to carry their SSN card around anyway? A US passport card is cheap and easy to carry.

You make a good point. It's very important to contact the SSA and have your immigration status updated when you become a US citizen. Their records are used by the Dept of Education to verify citizenship. My daughter's federal student loan application was delayed because they could not verify her claim that she was a US citizen. We had to go into the local SSA office with our US passports to have our records updated.
Old Dec 21st 2018, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes - and it's cheap and easy to carry. But it can be used to travel internationally at land and sea ports of entry to/from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and The Caribbean. It can be used as ID on domestic flights - but not on international flights.
Old Dec 21st 2018, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Not on its own - you'd still need a photo ID. And who wants to carry their SSN card around anyway? A US passport card is cheap and easy to carry.

You make a good point. It's very important to contact the SSA and have your immigration status updated when you become a US citizen. Their records are used by the Dept of Education to verify citizenship. My daughter's federal student loan application was delayed because they could not verify her claim that she was a US citizen. We had to go into the local SSA office with our US passports to have our records updated.
Never even thought about that - I became a citizen 10 years ago. Can you do this online?
Old Dec 21st 2018, 2:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I know my driver's licence probably doesn't count in their eyes, but that's always with me and I have my SSN memorized, not that it ever comes up. I don't even know where my actual card is now you mention it. We keep our passports in our safe deposit box so they don't get lost. I guess it isn't likely to come up in Chicago since it's a sanctuary city anyway, and if I ever plan a trip to a border state I'll just take the passport to be safe. Though if what my friends back home tell me is true my accent has changed enough that I won't be noticed anyway

I never thought to get a passport card to be honest. Last time we flew domestic, I just used my driver's licence as ID for the flight.

I think I just called shortly after my oath ceremony. It was one of the things they reminded us to do when it was over: contact SSA, get a passport, register to vote.
Old Dec 21st 2018, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Never even thought about that - I became a citizen 10 years ago. Can you do this online?
No - you need to take your passport into a SSA office and have them update your record. I became a US citizen in 2006. They probably told me about the need to update the SSA but it must have gone in one ear and out the other. It wasn't until 2011 when my daughter was applying for a federal student loan that I discovered that the SSA record needed to be updated because it was used by the Dept of Education to verify immigration status. After updating our records, the SSA system automatically sent out new SSN cards - same numbers but with a new date printed on the front.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Dec 21st 2018 at 2:19 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2018, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

No - you need to take your passport into a SSA office and have them update your record. I became a US citizen in 2006. They probably told me about the need to update the SSA but it must have gone in one ear and out the other. It wasn't until 2011 when my daughter was applying for a federal student loan that I discovered that the SSA record needed to be updated because it was used by the Dept of Education to verify immigration status. After updating our records, the SSA system automatically sent out new SSN cards - same numbers but with a new date printed on the front.
What you say makes sense. I could imagine myself with my new US passport standing in the SS office telling all those immigrants applying for a SSN to "Get off my Land".

This is something we never did do, didn't even realize we had to. In 1998 we had our ceremony in the Federal building in New Orleans then went up a few floors to apply for our US passports. When our passports came through we each took them to the HR department at our employer and had them change our status in their records. Maybe the SS Administration were informed through that route. I still have my original SS card. My wife and childrens' SS cards were re-issued in 1992 when we got our Green Cards as they had been stamped "Not Eligible For Work", but we never did receive new cards after becoming citizens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.