Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been stopped and asked to see their Green Card?

Has anyone been stopped and asked to see their Green Card?

Old Dec 13th 2018, 4:09 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone been stopped and asked to see their Green Card?

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Absolutely. I do not have an American accent, in fact I have a strong Durham accent, so when I am stopped by border control in Texas how else can I easily prove that I am entitled to be there. A Texas driving licence is certainly not good enough.
You need a GC, but not your passport if you are a LPR.
I guess if you have an L visa or H1b you should have your passport.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 4:11 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
You have to have your passport with you as a dual citizen?
Legally no, but if you are naturalized and don't sound American I can see why carrying your American passport could make life much easier.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
You need a GC, but not your passport if you are a LPR.
I guess if you have an L visa or H1b you should have your passport.
It was easier when we had green cards as they fit nicely into the wallet along with the driving license.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Once, outside Tuscon. Just received a verbal telling off.

My logic was it was cheaper to pay the fine that the replacement cost of a green card.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 5:02 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad

It was easier when we had green cards as they fit nicely into the wallet along with the driving license.
Isn't there a US Passport card for use domestically? Problem solved!
Old Dec 13th 2018, 5:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My Iranian husband (green card holder at the time) was in the oriental carpet repair business in the USA. He once had to do a road trip from California to Texas to deliver a bunch of rugs. He and another Iranian guy (from the rug shop) were driving a company van, and at some point in Texas they got stopped at a checkpoint. The officer asked what was in the back of the van, and the other guy said "rugs", but with his accent it sounded like "drugs"! You can imagine the scene after that. Hubby had to show his green card then.

Rene
Old Dec 13th 2018, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
We travel across West Texas a few times a year ( skiing and camping trips) and I would dearly love to avoid driving those non-motorway roads through those godforsaken towns, however, I have been advised to NOT travel on the highway from Albuquerque to El Paso to join the IH10 to San Antonio - those checkpoints are common, unannounced, a bit scary and there may be a few to navigate on my route that way.
The permanent checkpoints on I-10 are 90 miles east of El Paso (Sierra Blanca) for eastbound traffic and 30 miles west of Las Cruces NM for westbound traffic. They stop all traffic and ask if you're a US citizen. The one in Sierra Blanca is famous for catching several music groups tour buses for weed. Last year I was driving back from Phoenix and I got pulled over in Sierra Blanca by the drug dog alerting on my car. The border patrol agent asked where I was coming from and going to. The dog was behind my car and out of my sight. He asked us to exit my car and pop the trunk. He starting naming off all the drugs that the dog could detect. Since me and Mrs jkeller only do blood pressure medicine, I wasn't worried. We both didn't say anything. The dog jumped in the front seats, back seats, and into the trunk. The dog had no kind of reaction that I could see. At this point the agent said he was going to do a swab test and ask us to step inside the building. A couple of minutes later he told me free to go. Again we said nothing, got in the car and went. The agent never asked for my drivers license nor insurance. In hindsight, I've come down to 2 options. The dog false alerted or they just said the dog alerted as a pretense to do a random search. I go through these checkpoints a lot because of my work. In those cases I'm in a company vehicle that has company logos on the doors and tailgates. 99 of of 100 times they just ask US citizen?.....yes....Thankyou, and off I go. The one thing I know for sure is nothing I said would have changed what happened. They wanted to search the car and no amount of denials of drug use from us would have stopped them, it would have only escalated everything.

As you drive up to the checkpoint there are cameras that catch front passengers faces and license plates. Those cameras are for Drug enforcement use, not border patrol. I have no idea what kind of facial tracking they're doing, maybe that's what got me pulled over???? I as said I go through these checkpoints a lot, just not that one though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...or_checkpoints

Last edited by jkeller; Dec 13th 2018 at 6:14 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Isn't there a US Passport card for use domestically? Problem solved!
^^^^^^
This.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
^^^^^^
This.
Given all they can do is ask whether you're a citizen, you're not required as a citizen to carry any proof. I've been through these checkpoints a few times and just answered I was a citizen. Of course, they could hassle you at this point, but I'm not going to start carrying citizenship proof around to travel in my own country.

The scary thing is they can do this within 100 miles of any border, including seas borders. That encompasses huge population areas on the east and west coasts.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Dec 13th 2018 at 8:18 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't carry mine. I've never been asked for it other than employment and gun purchases.

I have a copy of it on my phone. Doesn't seem worth the hassle. If I lose it I have to go through the entire lengthy process of replacing it for the 1 in a million chance I ever get asked for it outside of employment and gun purchases.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Given all they can do is ask whether you're a citizen, you're not required as a citizen to carry any proof. I've been through these checkpoints a few times and just answered I was a citizen. Of course, they could hassle you at this point, but I'm not going to start carrying citizenship proof around to travel in my own country.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 11:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The scary thing is they can do this within 100 miles of any border, including seas borders. That encompasses huge population areas on the east and west coasts.
The only proofs of US Citizenship would be your original certified birth certificate and unfortunately, most states do not have a small card version like the UK does or your US Passport. I'm not going to go to the expense of getting a US Passport card when I have a perfectly good 10 year US Passport to travel with.

I can't quote the actual legal requirement but there is one on the USCIS site that says a PR must carry their green card with them at all times. Many are just carrying a snapshot on a phone which can just as easily be stolen, lost or the phone destroyed as the actual card. In the age of the dinosaur it was recommended that you carry the green card as directed and keep a photocopy of the front and back in a safe place at home. Now people are doing it the other way around.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 11:27 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Having been through the process to get a replacement GC following it going missing on holiday, I can say it is an awful lot easier to replace a phone though. I totally understand the logic. It took me the best part of a year to get my replacement back.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I always carried my GC. For a while before I got my NY driver's license it was the only pocket-sized ID I had. The only time I was asked for ID by an LEO was after a minor train derailment I was involved in when the NYPD wanted everyone involved's address in case of any follow-up. The cop didn't know what a GC was and was a bit miffed it didn't have my address on.

When I naturalized I decided I still wanted a pocket-sized proof of my new status, because Trumpism. I considered the passport card but as my driver's license was up for renewal I opted for a NY Enhanced Driver's License instead.

Last edited by rpjs; Dec 14th 2018 at 1:55 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Just once the border patrol agent's first question to me was "where were you born", me......United Kingdom.......bp agent, short pause( probably first time anyone had ever had that answer) are you a US citizen?....me..yes...bp...thankyou. There might have been some follow up questions if I wasn't in a company car and I had a British accent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.