Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has anyone applyed for a new US passport lately?

Has anyone applyed for a new US passport lately?

Old Apr 23rd 2012, 6:09 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone applyed for a new US passport lately?

Did they change the forms?
I was just filling out one for our youngest, her 5 year one just expired.
It asks for parents last names at parents birth, I don't remember it saying at birth before. Does that mean I need my marriage certificate to prove my last name is the same as Dd's birth certificate? and my ID and Dh changed his birth name when he became a US citizen, will I need to take his citizenship papers showing the legal change so he matches the marriage certificate and his ID?
What did you take for proof of anything?
I think we'll go to the county clek this time to renew, I can just see all this playing out in our little local post office in full public view with all the local gossips listening to all the name change and private info.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone applyed for a new US passport lately?

Did my kids at the local police station, and they charge extra to check the ID of both parents, but since that was almost mandatory we just did it. They didn't accept the marriage certificate as proof of name change, and we had to get another copy of my son's birth certificate because somehow we didn't have the right one (there is more than one?!). I was mostly just present and my wife organised it all so I can't tell you the details.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 7:30 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear they are getting even more strict about all this than they used to be. I hope we have the right kind of birth certificate I thought there was just one kind, it has our names, her name, the doctors name, place, time, county what more is there!
I think I'll call the county clerk and ask her. benefits of a small quiet county, someone actually answers the phone.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 11:16 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

We just did it today, at the county clerk, which was much more sane than any of the post offices. We've never done it before, but Weeze's DL had her maiden name on it, iirc. I'm afraid I can't offer much advice other than the county clerk's office was a very good bet! We were there for 40 minutes, 20 of that was redoing the form there as the lady accidentally started writing mini-Weeze's name in my section as we were having too much of a pleasant chat! She was very apologetic for me having to redo it (I'd done it on t'interweb and printed). Also, don't forget the cheque book!

Oh, and we both found the rising the right hand to answer the question that this was all truthful a little odd!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 1:23 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

We are defiantly going to the County clerk, I'm taking a big file of all kinds of info so we should have everything imaginable should they ask.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I just renewed my sons passport and it was very straightforward - only took 20 mins at the post office and paid the mandantory $25 execution fee. You only need the application form, child's long birth certificate and proof of ID's for both parents. If you have a change of name then I would bring documentation to support that. They may ask for the mothers maiden name on the application so they can match it on the child's birth certificate??

I should add it was not completley straightforward it turned out that the cashiers check I requested from my credit union was in the amount of $0.80 cents and not the $80 the passport fee! I didn't catch it and nor did the post office and by the time we realised it had already been sent into the system! A week later I recieved a call from the processing center and sorted out paying the fee. Thankfully, his passport arrive a couple of days ago - start to finish 3 weeks!