Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has America become better or worse since you came?

Has America become better or worse since you came?

Old Jul 18th 2006, 2:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has America become better or worse since you came?

Originally Posted by Rompers
I still PMSL at ex-pats bitching about all the immigrants
I think he was being sarcastic.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:08 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asdasd12345
d they are going to move to Memphis, which I hear is horrid also.
The only American city I've been to that made me glad to be living in Houston! Although to be fair I was only there for a weekend, and maybe missed the good bits...
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:10 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
OMG...Houston crime rate doubled/tripled with all the nawlins bunch
We even had a multiple homicide in sleepy ole Katy a couple of weeks back. That really put a crimp in the smug gits that compile the crime stats for the local rag....."and this month we had an increase in crime from 3 speeding tickets to 5 - and somebody's burglar alarm went off but it was a false alarm.....the end of the world is nigh"
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Rob B
Someone down my street had her front door and fences smashed down by some young drunken thugs and she phoned the cops whilst they were in the act, they did another house on the same night, and the cops didn't turn up until 3 hours after the event which makes you feel really safe.
Same happens here - I always go out between 2.00pm and 3.00 pm during the week. Couple of weeks ago our alarm went off at 2.30 - monitoring company asked if I wanted police attendance, which I did as I figured someone may have noticed my routine. They cops showed up as we were eating dinner a little after 6.00.....(this was before our multiple hoimicide, so all they ahd to do was catch a few speeders - yes, they do that here to.......)
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:16 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

I still PMSL at ex-pats bitching about all the immigrants

I noted this too and share your amusement
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Same with mine, though, and I grew up in this country, out of doors, with other kids and nature as my companions. Kids in general spend more time indoors, which drives me batty. I have tried everything to chase them out but since there are no *other* kids outside....
When our second son was born, a lot of people commiserated with us ( ) but I was pleased - boys need brothers (i never had one) and already at 3 and 5 its clear they are going to be good company - they have built in "playoutside" playmates. Just got to convince them that not all the games have to involve trying to rip each others heads off....

We're lucky at the new place too - a lot of young kids, and all of the parents seem keen to get them outside and active - a change from our last house where my 4 year old was the only one of his peers that didn't have a gameboy
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:52 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think he was being sarcastic.
I think he was agreeing!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I think he was agreeing!
I think I need another drink.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Has America become better or worse since you came?

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
But then where you live is run by people in white shirts and black trousers.
Noooooo, we live outside Clearwater.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:19 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'll join you!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:42 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Are we talking English or American fanny, then?

Either one, both apt to stretch............
Old Jul 18th 2006, 5:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Pour one for me please.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

firtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nice

Heh! I live up in Lake County, been here for 29 yrs and remember Orlando consisting of Colonial Drive, Orange Blossom Trail and Mills. It was quite a pleasant place back then. Now everyday the news is all about home invasions, murder, assault and who knows what else. I avoid the place like the plague.

Up here in the sticks we have a little crime and the local population of most Lake Co towns has exploded, but it is still pretty nice. I can get around without experiencing long lines everywhere and people are still generally courteous to one another.

Gotta agree with some of the other comments though. Last time back in Scotland I was appalled at the general state of things, the behaviour of certain types of people, the cost of living and to an extent the unavailibility of things (sevices, goods) that I take for granted here. You couldn't make me live there!!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Pour one for me please.
What's your poison?
Old Jul 18th 2006, 9:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

What's your poison?
Grand Marnier, no ice, large glass. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.