Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has America become better or worse since you came?

Has America become better or worse since you came?

Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:04 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has America become better or worse since you came?

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Was in US for nearly 3 yrs when we had to go back. And I was shocked that I had a harder time fitting back in the UK than I did when I first came here. I found my friends couldn't relate to me or to my experiences - found that really hard and couldn't fit in with them. So didn't feel at "home" when I went home which is a crazy weird feeling.

And now that I am back I fit in better here but know it's still not my natural home so have truly a nomadic soul - not feeling home anywhere!
If you ever did go back you might be surprised at your feelings, I was told how it could be but didn't listen - which I did.
Cheers for the advice, I'm sure we'll be fine, I'll update once we get home, although that won't be for a while yet!
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:10 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the things that have changed where I am are kind of petty but farmland is rapidly being swallowed up into sub divisions and as each new subdivision goes in the lots get smaller, the houses get smaller but the price goes up considerably. Most of this comes about each time the military do one of those BRAC deals. It happened a few years ago when we had an influx of people moving from Misery and the same is about to happen with the next BRAC movement from Virginia.

The one good thing is that more diversified stores and restaurants are coming to accommodate all these new people.

The latest phase of one subdivision are building houses that range from 7,000 to 10,000 square feet per unit.

Crime has not changed much neither has the overall cost of living other than gas prices. Oh how I remember the days of 99 cents for regular. Such a distant dream now. lololol
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Was in US for nearly 3 yrs when we had to go back. And I was shocked that I had a harder time fitting back in the UK than I did when I first came here. I found my friends couldn't relate to me or to my experiences - found that really hard and couldn't fit in with them. So didn't feel at "home" when I went home which is a crazy weird feeling.

And now that I am back I fit in better here but know it's still not my natural home so have truly a nomadic soul - not feeling home anywhere!
If you ever did go back you might be surprised at your feelings, I was told how it could be but didn't listen - which I did.
That's me in reverse.....although I wasn't pining to go home to the US because it was better, it was where my family was and was tired of the long haul flights at least twice a year. But, I'm sure I'd get back over there and feel the same way, needing to be here. I understand the nomadic feelings completely.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
That's me in reverse.....although I wasn't pining to go home to the US because it was better, it was where my family was and was tired of the long haul flights at least twice a year. But, I'm sure I'd get back over there and feel the same way, needing to be here. I understand the nomadic feelings completely.
Me too. Although I will always be British and the UK will always be my home deep down, sometimes when I visit I can't wait to get back Stateside. A nomadic life is a very strange feeling indeed.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Me too. Although I will always be British and the UK will always be my home deep down, sometimes when I visit I can't wait to get back Stateside. A nomadic life is a very strange feeling indeed.
Having a family makes all the diff.
By the way, Joisey - how is the bed rest going......?
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:36 pm
Banned

leedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by asdasd12345
No, not really. I'm thinking of moving to Canada perhaps. Maybe its just me, but lately Ive been looking around here (Orlando) and just thinking to myself, I'm done with it here. We went to North Carolina to look around the other month and its nice there. But we will see I think.
The place for you mate is New England. I live in Vermont which is a very low low crime state and ultra clean. However, its full of "save the forest at all costs" weirdos.............We are moving to Maine as soon as we can sell our house!!!!!!! Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts are great states which would be worth while a look especially as you are considering Canada as an option.................cold doesn't bother you then?
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Having a family makes all the diff.
By the way, Joisey - how is the bed rest going......?

I'm bored to death...I've only got the TV and my lap top. Thanks for asking.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:42 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like heaven to me!!!
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:50 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

My sister lives in Meyerland in Houston... I didn't like it very much at all. Everybody there looks at you like they want to kill you...
...I'm in Orlando right now, but I plan to move elsewhere as soon as possible...
...But I think she is ready to quit her job and they are going to move to Memphis, which I hear is horrid also...
...When I went back to England after not being there for 9 years, it felt more foreign to me than America...There were a lot of Polish, Arabs, Russians, just about any type of person you could imagine...
This guy's frickin' hillarious! I think he's Marvin the Paranoid Android... or a troll... or both, perhaps.

"Don't talk to me about Memphis. I hear it's horrid. And as for Orlando, don't get me started on Orlando. England? Too many foreigners. Brain the size of a planet... all the resistors in my left side hurt when I see a Hispanic."

Keep up the good work asdasd12345. My recommendation is a small shack on a hill in the Catskill mountains.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:52 pm
Banned

asdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant future

Nothing really I said is troll like dumbass. I have family in lots of different parts of the world, and I have been doing a lot of travelling lately. Whats the problem?
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:54 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing really I said is troll like dumbass. I have family in lots of different parts of the world, and I have been doing a lot of travelling lately. Whats the problem?
No problem, no problem at all. Do carry on. Tell us, where else do you dislike?
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

jobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to behold

For those of you who have lived here longer than just a year or two, do you think America is getting better or worse as a place to live? I can say that since I moved to Orlando in 92, its got a lot worse. Crime here has gotten much prevalent, and in general the place has become smellier and dirtier. There are so many hispanics now, its like basically living in Mexico, or at least Miami. I'm in Orlando right now, but I plan to move elsewhere as soon as possible. Maybe back to England yet again.
wow.. not racist then!?
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:01 am
Banned

asdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant future

Whatever.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:04 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Do you have Digital cable?
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:10 am
Back where I belong!

Whatever.
*and I said yeah, whatever...*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.