Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has America become better or worse since you came?

Has America become better or worse since you came?

Old Jul 17th 2006, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has America become better or worse since you came?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We might feel the same about the US when we go back to the UK...that's something that worries me.
I know Hon, you have been here a long time. Yes it's changed and it seems worse in a lot of aspects, but I want to spend the rest of my day's in the Land I know, I want we want the same for our Son, otherwise he will grow up foreign to me
Old Jul 17th 2006, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Rob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by britvic
Typical saying by one who wants to leave You go and look for the grass that is greener, because it's not here.
The post was really aimed at those thinking about coming to the UK. I have never said I definatly want to leave the UK, all I have really said is that I want to experience something else, and if I like it I may end up moving there.

I don't expect America to be wonderfully 'leave you car door unlocked' cultured, I am realistic, and am aware that the US suffers from many of the same problems the UK does in society. I am also aware than the US is tough, and if things go badly you are on your own.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Property, land and council taxes are expensive. There is a high ratio of cops...they are always out and about on patrol...something I would have loved to have seen more of in the UK. I'll leave you to draw your own conculsions.
Cops are always good at dettering crime.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rob B
The post was really aimed at those thinking about coming to the UK. I have never said I definatly want to leave the UK, all I have really said is that I want to experience something else, and if I like it I may end up moving there.

I don't expect America to be wonderfully 'leave you car door unlocked' cultured, I am realistic, and am aware that the US suffers from many of the same problems the UK does in society. I am also aware than the US is tough, and if things go badly you are on your own.
good for you rob...it's good to get out there and see the world while you can and if like me it'll make you realise what is great about britain
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Rob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud ofRob B has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Cops are always good at dettering crime.
Cops in the UK always seem more interested in standing at the side of the road clocking people for doing 32mph. They are increasing the number of cops on the street in the worse areas due to heavy public protest, but many areas are still neglected. Someone down my street had her front door and fences smashed down by some young drunken thugs and she phoned the cops whilst they were in the act, they did another house on the same night, and the cops didn't turn up until 3 hours after the event which makes you feel really safe.

This 'chav culture' is able to thrive freely because the lack of police presence on the streets. Yet, if you go 33mph in a 30 zone you have a ticket in the post within 2 days.

Last edited by Rob B; Jul 17th 2006 at 10:04 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:03 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

We might feel the same about the US when we go back to the UK...that's something that worries me.
Not enough I don't think!
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
nope that's one thing i will NOT worry about
There's a surprise.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I know Hon, you have been here a long time. Yes it's changed and it seems worse in a lot of aspects, but I want to spend the rest of my day's in the Land I know, I want we want the same for our Son, otherwise he will grow up foreign to me
I feel the same.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:09 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the same.
Me too!
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:21 pm
Banned

asdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant futureasdasd12345 has a brilliant future

When I went back to England after not being there for 9 years, it felt more foreign to me than America. In Stoke-on-Trent, where I was unfortunate enough to have been raised, every day I heard some different strange accent. There were a lot of Polish, Arabs, Russians, just about any type of person you could imagine. On the television, most programs deal with people buying houses in countries other than England, because most English people want to get out. Everytime I went out at night, my family shouted at me because its not safe to do so because theres so many yobs about.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

.............I want we want the same for our Son, otherwise he will grow up foreign to me
That cut to the quick here across the river. I see the way my kids play video games all day if I let them and wonder - could they have the type of upbringing I benefitted from? We had different stuff, which, in retrospect seem somehow purer, cleaner, better. Things I'd like to give them.
Childhood memories through rose-colored glasses - aye there's the rub as the great bard said...........
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by gardnma
That cut to the quick here across the river. I see the way my kids play video games all day if I let them and wonder - could they have the type of upbringing I benefitted from? We had different stuff, which, in retrospect seem somehow purer, cleaner, better. Things I'd like to give them.
Childhood memories through rose-colored glasses - aye there's the rub as the great bard said...........
All those long sunny summer days and thick snow during winter....yes you always look back with rose coloured glasses.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:39 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Very, very true though
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:44 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Same with mine, though, and I grew up in this country, out of doors, with other kids and nature as my companions. Kids in general spend more time indoors, which drives me batty. I have tried everything to chase them out but since there are no *other* kids outside....

Part of this is fewer kids per family, part more vigilance on parents' part and a reluctance to let children play unattended, part due to electronic and other toys available indoors.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:51 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I don't think that will happen to us, (never say never) after all we've not even been here 2 years yet, England hasn't changed that much since we left. I know I will miss some things from the US, but not too many. I suppose it depends on how much you build something up in your head, we shall see.
Was in US for nearly 3 yrs when we had to go back. And I was shocked that I had a harder time fitting back in the UK than I did when I first came here. I found my friends couldn't relate to me or to my experiences - found that really hard and couldn't fit in with them. So didn't feel at "home" when I went home which is a crazy weird feeling.

And now that I am back I fit in better here but know it's still not my natural home so have truly a nomadic soul - not feeling home anywhere!
If you ever did go back you might be surprised at your feelings, I was told how it could be but didn't listen - which I did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.