Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire!

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire!

Old Nov 21st 2005, 1:37 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire!

This has to be one of the worst movies ever.
They seemed to think that just because that voldomort bloke actually appears in this installment that they don't need to bother with a self-contained story to the film/book.

Complete garbage
Old Nov 21st 2005, 2:50 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Complete garbage
AWESOME for us.

My son (14) has read all the books and is a big fan. He saw this movie on Friday with friends and said it was really good but not as good as previous.

However he wanted to see it again and went with me and my wife on Sunday. My wife who is no sci-fi/fiction fan and I thought it was AWESOME. My son thought it was MUCH better the 2nd time around....

So there you have it..... I'd see it again for the quality of the whole ensemble - brilliant. Trigger was great and so was "queenie" from Black Adder as the reporter.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 3:31 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nxylas
Just saw the Harry Potter movie. It seemed like a transition to me, more a setup for the next film(s) than a satisfying story in its own right. I have made it a point not to read the books until after I have seen the film, to avoid being disappointed at what gets left out. All the films have moments where I think "I bet that was explained better in the book", but this one seemed to have more than most - perhaps unsurprisingly, given the length of the novel.
Yeah, I was a bit upset about the stuff they left out, some of it was just completely changed from the book. I still loved it, but don't see why they cut so much out. Most people that go/went to see it would have loved it to be longer, as most are hard core HP fans. Maybe they are just saving some stuff for the DVD.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 8:33 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Yeah, I was a bit upset about the stuff they left out, some of it was just completely changed from the book. I still loved it, but don't see why they cut so much out.
I knew after I read the book that it ought to be made into two films -- there was just too much to cram into a single film. There were some very awkward attempts at combining storylines -- eg Beauxbatons was transformed into a female-only school with dancing girls like the Vila that performed at the Quidditch world cup.

I think there will be more on the DVD, but *for me* the plot line was hopelessly mangled. There are very good bits and great acting, but as far as the story goes it was completely lost. More like "selected scenes from _The Goblet Of Fire_."

Again -- acting was superb, great special effects, and horror and humour well done, but a bumpy ride.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 5:15 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Saw it last night, I must admit to not being a big fan, but the kids are addicted. The special effects are very good, although the whole film seemed a bit 'crammed in' even at 2 and a 1/2 hours long. It was also a bit odd, sitting watching British actors who I'm sure the Americans had never heard of, Eric Sykes, Miranda Richardson, Mark Williams and Roger Lloyd Pack...Trigger from only Fools and Horses "Ello Dave, I mean Harry".