British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   HARLEY DAVIDSON Experts... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/harley-davidson-experts-315649/)

Ray Jul 23rd 2005 8:46 pm

HARLEY DAVIDSON Experts...

Do we have any Harley experts...

Joycee fancies a sportsters... say a couple of years old
any particular thing to look out for ...any preferred years ... what to avoid..best model etc...

Pulaski Jul 24th 2005 2:07 pm

Re: HARLEY DAVIDSON Experts...

Originally Posted by Ray
Do we have any Harley experts...

Joycee fancies a sportsters... say a couple of years old
any particular thing to look out for ...any preferred years ... what to avoid..best model etc...

I'm no expert, but given the way that most Harley owners seem to put them on a trailer to haul them to the beach or rally, before putting them on the road and crusing around for a few miles, I'd look for one with really low mileage, not one that has been flogged for thousands of miles.

Ray Jul 24th 2005 2:09 pm

The average age of HD owners in Florida is 312... mileage over 5000 is a very rare..

krizzy Jul 24th 2005 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm no expert, but given the way that most Harley owners seem to put them on a trailer to haul them to the beach or rally, before putting them on the road and crusing around for a few miles, I'd look for one with really low mileage, not one that has been flogged for thousands of miles.

The reason SOME Harley riders do that.....is the pain......a Sportster to me anyway is just a runaround....or a ladies first bike.......it it murder to sit on it for long......take it from someone who had gone from Watford all the way up North in the pouring rain following someone they had just met in a cafe.... (who turned out to be the Head of the London police motor cycle unit)... doing 90 plus plus all the way......

things I learnt the trip up.....Real American made WW11 flying jackets are fully water proof......it is a good idea to wrip your clean clothes in plastic bags....so I was not being fussy.....you can do any speed you like if you know the right people......you do get the feeling back in your bum at some time.....in fact it comes back just in time for the trip home.......warm air hand dryers are a cool thing to dry out your gloves..... :cool: :D

Toontje Jul 24th 2005 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by krizzy
warm air hand dryers are a cool thing.....

:rolleyes:

rincewind Jul 24th 2005 6:30 pm

Get yourself a Fat Boy

krizzy Jul 24th 2005 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind
Get yourself a Fat Boy

I could say so much to that......but I'll be good....... :D :D