Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hardship letters...

Hardship letters...

Old May 8th 2001, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

BorisStAlC is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife in the United States has to provide letters of emotional hardship, and I was hoping someone in the forum could make some suggestions. Our attorney has simply suggested that she tell our story, detailing the emotional turmoil which she is going through (I know my turmoil is considered irrelevant). Has anyone else got experience in such matters? Are there any professional/personal websites which could help in this regard?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

A Hub in distress.
Old May 8th 2001, 5:13 pm
MDUdall

I usually think in the terms of "extreme" hardship, not "emotional" hardship, however
I can see how emotional hardship could be a component of extreme hardship. Extreme
hardship can also factor in financial hardship and other forms of hardship that you
could come up with.

To help document emotional hardship, a report from a counselor who interviews your
wife might be helpful. I usually have my battered spouse clients get such a report
from a counselor (especially if there is no police complaints or witnesses to the
physical abuse).

Best Regards, Matthew Udall Attorney http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/fiancee.htm
Copyright 2001 Matthew Udall

Old May 8th 2001, 7:28 pm
Toni B

>

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I stumbled across a website a while back that addressed this issue. The BIA had set
forth certain criteria which would determine extreme hardship..I can't remember the
site, but you could probably just do a search under the phrase "extreme hardship
waiver", whatever. Some of the things I remember, and also am hearing from my own
attorney are emotional, financial, inability to live in your home country, language,
lesser quality of life and medical care, etc. This is for a hardship waiver if that's
what you need.

Old May 8th 2001, 10:50 pm
billypilgrim

If she has any school-aged children, aging or sick parents, or other issues which
would make it difficult for her to relocate.

Are you talking about trying to get a hardship waiver so she can come here? My
understanding is that the goal is to prove not how hard her life is without you
(because she could rectify that by moving to where you are) but how difficult her
life, and those of her family, would be if she moved to your homeland.

Best of luck, Beth

----------

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 10th 2001, 12:27 am
Robin or Larry

Yes, Beth is correct. The hardship the USC would face is based on his/her life if the
union would take that person out of the US.

I wrote an 'extreme hardship' letter last year in order to get my fiancee's I-601
waiver approved. (it was, no problem we're aware of).

All circumstances are different, but in my case, I stated that dragging my children
across the ocean would be impossible (my ex would not allow it of course), the fact
that my elderly mother lives with us, and the fact that because I'm her only family,
she'd have to move with me/us, and that would be out of the question also, for health
and financial reasons. Also, I'd be giving up all my family health benefits. The
posters here have already given some good advice. OHH...yea, and I also informed the
powers that be that a United State's Citizen has the right to "Life, Liberty and the
Pursuit of Happiness". How could a person be 'happy' without the one they loved??
Best of luck, Robin

Old May 10th 2001, 12:48 pm
Alvena Ferreira

BorisStAlC wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
click the "filing a waiver" link at this page:
http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/crimesframes.html

there are several things that can be used to provide hardship circumstances.

alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes or
http://alvena.50megs.com