Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hard to get a hold of British Embassy!!

Hard to get a hold of British Embassy!!

Old Aug 3rd 2006, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

StephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to behold
Default Hard to get a hold of British Embassy!!

Hi..Just wondering if anyone has had problems trying to get a hold of the British Embassy in Washington D.C??
I have to get some changes done to my passport and have gone onto the Britainusa website and they give me some 1-900 number that is supplied by ABTRAN..(whoever the are) that I have to pay for...so I thought alright..it has to be done..called the number and it doesn't work!

Don't ask me how but I did get a hold of someone at the British Embassy in Ireland and they gave the local number to the Embassy in Washington...where I got a voicemail and that was it.

So, I went onto the ABTRAN site and wrote them...getting the British Embassy in Ireland again!

I just need to talk to someone about what I need to do about the changes in my passport.. ..can anyone give me some suggestions

Thanks Guys
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Hard to get a hold of British Embassy!!

Originally Posted by StephC1520
Hi..Just wondering if anyone has had problems trying to get a hold of the British Embassy in Washington D.C??
I have to get some changes done to my passport and have gone onto the Britainusa website and they give me some 1-900 number that is supplied by ABTRAN..(whoever the are) that I have to pay for...so I thought alright..it has to be done..called the number and it doesn't work!

Don't ask me how but I did get a hold of someone at the British Embassy in Ireland and they gave the local number to the Embassy in Washington...where I got a voicemail and that was it.

So, I went onto the ABTRAN site and wrote them...getting the British Embassy in Ireland again!

I just need to talk to someone about what I need to do about the changes in my passport.. ..can anyone give me some suggestions

Thanks Guys
Try the emergency number (202) 588 6500. If they ask you why you phoned that number just tell them you could'nt find any other direct call number. Just found the other embassy number:

3100 Massachusetts Avenue,
Washington DC,
(202) 588 7800

Last edited by kingfisher241049; Aug 3rd 2006 at 11:48 pm. Reason: Further info
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:16 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys
Do a search for previous threads in this forum on the subject of passport renewals and applications to the British Embassy in DC. You may find the answer here on BE.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 4th 2006, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

StephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for your help guys
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:35 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys
the 1 900 number does work - its just that most phone companies put a 900 block on the phones which you have to request they remove, try 1 800 630 3332.

Abtran is a call centre based in ireland.

Ant
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by antjen
the 1 900 number does work - its just that most phone companies put a 900 block on the phones which you have to request they remove, try 1 800 630 3332.

Abtran is a call centre based in ireland.

Ant
Haha! So that could be why I got the British Embassy in Ireland
Thanks for the info...will def. call on Monday...need to get this sorted
Old Aug 11th 2006, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

So, still having problems...I didn't get a chance to call the Embassy until now..tried the 1-800 number and got the recording asking for my credit card info...I punched in the numbers and then the recording said that it would start charging me $2.10 per min after the beep...I heard the beep and then nothing else..i stayed on the line for another min. and then was disconnected!!!
I Just checked to see how much that cost me and it almost cost me $7!!!!! For nothing!
Why is it so hard to get a hold of the British Embassy!?!?

And I think it's pretty crap that we have to pay to talk to someone about our passports!

So, going to call my phone company and see about the 900 number...hope it works
Old Aug 11th 2006, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Well....i just called the Embassy again and got an email address ([email protected]) Hopefully they can help me...I feel this is getting ridiculous.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well there's a form on the Britusa site that you mentioned to get names changed, just fill that in and send off the cheque, though if it's just to change maiden name, it won't be worth it till the passport expires...
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:40 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Well there's a form on the Britusa site that you mentioned to get names changed, just fill that in and send off the cheque, though if it's just to change maiden name, it won't be worth it till the passport expires...
Yeah i still haven't changed mine, will have to soon, for whenever we do go to england, since my GC is in my married name.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
Yeah i still haven't changed mine, will have to soon, for whenever we do go to england, since my GC is in my married name.
don't have to, just bring a copy of marriage certificate and your all set...
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

Our lawyer said I had to apply for the GC in the same name as my passport (which is still in my maiden name). I didn't think you could change it on the GC and it not match the passport ... handy to know.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:52 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cinnabar
Our lawyer said I had to apply for the GC in the same name as my passport (which is still in my maiden name). I didn't think you could change it on the GC and it not match the passport ... handy to know.

My lawyer had us hyphenate my name, i just had to carry copy of marriage cert with me to appts before i got new paperwork in that name. Didnt know id be ok, with not chnaging my passport for In't flights. What name would i book my ticket in?
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

My lawyer had us hyphenate my name, i just had to carry copy of marriage cert with me to appts before i got new paperwork in that name. Didnt know id be ok, with not chnaging my passport for In't flights. What name would i book my ticket in?
The airlines aren't interested in your GC, the ticket should always be in the name on the passport.

(I used to work at a travel agency)
Old Aug 12th 2006, 12:15 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cinnabar
The airlines aren't interested in your GC, the ticket should always be in the name on the passport.

(I used to work at a travel agency)
...but this wouldn't be true for internal travel in the US where most people show a US drivers license instead of a passport.

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.