Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hard drives through airport security

Hard drives through airport security

Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:01 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hard drives through airport security

Originally Posted by Helix
Seeing as the US border control now have legislation that if you do not hand over the password for an encrypted hard drive (they have stated that the 5th amendment does not apply to the borders of the USA http://more info here) they can detain you as a terrorist. In which case having your laptop taken by the USA border controll will be the least of your worries!
The matter's far from settled.

Good advice here: http://www.aclunc.org/issues/technol..._borders.shtml
Old Mar 28th 2012, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

niku2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just did a search but didn't find the answer to this question:

Is it safe to take an external hard drive/USB stick through airport security or would they be better off packed into boxes we'll ship bck to the States?
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Helix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by niku2
Just did a search but didn't find the answer to this question:

Is it safe to take an external hard drive/USB stick through airport security or would they be better off packed into boxes we'll ship bck to the States?
Please can you clarify your definition of safe? As in will it get wipped? Will it get taken by border control? Or some other definition?
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niku2
Airport scanners are not magnetic, so a scan will not wipe the info off a traditional internal/external hard drive. USB flash drives and SSDs store info electronically... and I've put more than my share of both through airport scanners with no problems. It's a non-issue.

Ian
Old Mar 28th 2012, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Soundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really nice

I've travelled, alot, back and forth between the U.K. and the U.S. and have never had a problem with USB pens or hard drives in my rucksack (carry-on) - either with wiping or suspician. I usually have 2-3 USB pens and up to 3 hard drives with me at a given time.
I've brought a few built towers into the U.S. (under-luggage) and had them all come through without any problems. I did have one of the HD's bugger-up shortly after but that could either have been from rough handling or just a lemon.
Regardless, if you value your data, carry it onboard.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all - the worry was that they'd send off the HDs for analysis somewhere and that I'd be without them for a while. Obviously I have backups of the important stuff, it would just be the hassle factor. I think I'll put them in hand baggage and also have some DVDs in the checked baggage of the most important things.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Thanks all - the worry was that they'd send off the HDs for analysis somewhere and that I'd be without them for a while. Obviously I have backups of the important stuff, it would just be the hassle factor. I think I'll put them in hand baggage and also have some DVDs in the checked baggage of the most important things.
If it's that vital then why not use something like DropBox or SkyDrive to store your files/documents or whatever in the ether and download them this side as required? Lot easier than carrying hard drives (though I did also use a usb key for immediate stuff - they just ignore it as they do the laptop most of the time). I think SkyDrive offer 25gb free - the others, like DropBox, probably require a subscription.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:36 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing as the US border control now have legislation that if you do not hand over the password for an encrypted hard drive (they have stated that the 5th amendment does not apply to the borders of the USA http://more info here) they can detain you as a terrorist. In which case having your laptop taken by the USA border controll will be the least of your worries!
New story today.
“This ruling affirms that the Constitution is still alive at the US border,” ACLU Staff Attorney Catherine Crump said in a statement. “Despite the government’s broad assertions that it can take and search any laptop, diary or smartphone without any reasonable suspicion, the court said the government cannot use that power to target political speech.”
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...der-search.ars
Old Mar 30th 2012, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Helix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
New story today.
“This ruling affirms that the Constitution is still alive at the US border,” ACLU Staff Attorney Catherine Crump said in a statement. “Despite the government’s broad assertions that it can take and search any laptop, diary or smartphone without any reasonable suspicion, the court said the government cannot use that power to target political speech.”
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...der-search.ars
That's a good start however the normal Joe Bloggs won't be able to claim their laptops were taken for political reasons.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good start however the normal Joe Bloggs won't be able to claim their laptops were taken for political reasons.
I'm not so sure. I believe that Joe Bloggs can make that claim. Whether the claim had any merit would be for a judge to decide... not CBP personnel. While the claim would not stop CBP personnel from seizing the laptop/drive, it would effectively stop them from trying to get any data from said drive... at least until a judge ruled on the merits of the case.

Ian
Old Apr 8th 2012, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Follow-up: stupidly forgot to take the HDDs out of my hand baggage at Heathrow which prompted a full bag-emptying and manual search! No problems at either end though. Even better, they still work.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Soundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really nice

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Follow-up: stupidly forgot to take the HDDs out of my hand baggage at Heathrow which prompted a full bag-emptying and manual search! No problems at either end though. Even better, they still work.
Good to hear that everything worked out!
Thanks for your update.