British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Happy Veteran's Day (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/happy-veterans-day-190137/)

Polaris_x Nov 10th 2003 3:12 pm

excpomea Nov 10th 2003 3:21 pm

20 years in the Navy, guess that makes me a veteran :)

Same to you buddy :)

Now, off to the local VFW for a few beers....

Patrick Nov 10th 2003 3:33 pm

Re: Happy Veteran's Day

Originally posted by Polaris_x
Tomorrow (November 11th) is Veteran's Day in the U.S. To all my fellow Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines, I wish you a happy Veteran's Day.

-Eric
Technically it really shouldn't be happy veterans day as it is supposed to be a day to remember all those who have fallen in the defense of freedom. Raise and class and say a prayer but lets not be happy that these guys died!

Lest we forget

Patrick

Pimpbot Nov 10th 2003 3:46 pm

I was just saying to my wife last night, how inappropriate I thought it was, that places like Macy's and Robinsons May advertise "Veterans day sales". Do you think Woolworths or Debenhams would have a rememberance sunday sale?. The day is meant to celerbrate your countrys freedom and the people who helped provide it, and yet Macy's turn it into another chance to buy a cheap set of dishes:rolleyes:

Patrick Nov 10th 2003 4:15 pm

I disagree. I think we should be happy. I'm happy that I'm an American.
4th of July

I'm happy that I had the chance to serve my country.
Amred Forces day.

Veterans day used to be called Armistice Day in regotition of the Peace and Freedom the military delivered but it was changed to Veterans Day so that it reflected those who gave the freedom rather than the freedom itself.

When you have a president fighting wars for his own secret agenda rather than for peace you should be unhappy that your brothers and sisters are dying for no reason.

Patrick

Lion in Winter Nov 10th 2003 4:23 pm

Originally posted by Patrick
4th of July

Amred Forces day.

Veterans day used to be called Armistice Day in regotition of the Peace and Freedom the military delivered but it was changed to Veterans Day so that it reflected those who gave the freedom rather than the freedom itself.

When you have a president fighting wars for his own secret agenda rather than for peace you should be unhappy that your brothers and sisters are dying for no reason.

Patrick
And as far as I know it's not called Veterans Day in the UK, but Remembrance Day, for those who no longer call it Armistice Day. As in, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we shall remember them.

Patrick Nov 10th 2003 4:51 pm

<<When you have a president fighting wars for his own secret agenda rather than for peace you should be unhappy that your brothers and sisters are dying for no reason.>>

I dunno, I saw the recent tapes of the torture. I'd say that's reason enough. It's also common knowledge that Saddam paid the families of those who blow themselves up, killing other people. I think that's reason enough.

It's obvious you hate Bush and no matter what he'd do, it would be wrong in your eyes. That's okay, I didn't vote for him either. But, by saying "no reason", you totally invalidate your position because it's based on a obvious hatred for the administration. It's as silly as those who bashed Clinton for similar things (Mogadishu).

I'm unhappy that anyone has to die, on any side. It's a pity that we, as a planet, can't through our petty differences aside and live without war. Unfortunately, that's a dream world, and I happen to live in the real world, where wars are the way of the world. Yes, American's are dying in battle. Hopefully, it will be for good, and there will be a democracy set up in Iraq. Hopefully, the Iraqi people are smart enough to ceize this moment and run with it. Let's hope we don't see people having their arms chopped off, or being beheaded, or having their children raped in front of them anymore in Iraq. Let's hope that this tyrany is over...once and for all.
I don't hate bush, I object to him taking his country to war on his own agenda.

If your going to play the "we freed the Iraqi people from an evil dictatorship" card then tell me why he hasn't gone after any other evil dictorship that is doing the same "having their arms chopped off, or being beheaded, or having their children raped in front of them " to its people.

It doesn't fly, Iraq has no links to terrorism of WMD yet they used September 11th as an excuse to invade and illegally occupy another country then illegally sell off the countries infrastructure.

Just because we ousted an evil dictator doesn't mean we have the right to enforce an american style democrocy on them. Strangly the Iragi's see the Americans as an occupying force rather than a Freeing Force.

I also have a problem with the Mcarthyism that is going on. If you are anti war you are anti Bush, anti American, anti troops and pro terrorist. You are considered unAmerican when really the American thing to do is to question why we invaded a country that posed no threat to and was complying with the UN Resolution to let Weapons Inspectors back in!

We haven't even discussed the fact that this has cost the taxpayer $800 billion. When there are Americans poor, hungery, unemployed, not educated and going without medical treatment to spend that amount of money on an War that is not necessary is criminal. Bush needs to look after his own people before invading foreign countries with no reason (yes I said no reason again - he isn't targeting Mugabe, or Liberia or 100 other dictatorships that are killing their own)

Patrick

ArsNo2 Nov 10th 2003 5:42 pm

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
And as far as I know it's not called Veterans Day in the UK, but Remembrance Day, for those who no longer call it Armistice Day. As in, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we shall remember them.
Yep - arrived back in Plano yesterday after my trip to England, bought a poppy back with me and will wear it tomorrow with pride.. as I am jet-lagged (i.e. got up at 4.15am this morning) I may even be awake for the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month - for 2 minutes of silence.....

Do you think the big news stations will cover the Rememberance Day Parade and Laying of Wreaths?

Duncs Nov 10th 2003 10:09 pm

Patrick:

I totally agree with all your points, with the exception of the first one; "why he hasn't gone after any other evil dictorship that is doing the same "

Perhaps in time we will. You can't possibly attack ALL of them at the same time. Do you feel it's okay to just turn your head on all of this, or would you agree that we have to start *somewhere*?

Granted, it's all political, and we won't be going anywhere that doesn't have oil. In the long run, it's all smoke and mirrors and we're going to only go to wars that will make the wealthy in this country more wealthy.

-Eric
its good that saddam is gone(into hiding anyhow) but i dont think it was worth the guys lives or the money. America has a pretty good record of not only not displacing dicators but of actively supporting their regimes(remember salvador or Pinochets Chile?) so i am not going to start holding my breath for an American led 'clean up the world' session. besides most of those supporting the war in Iraq attacked Clinton for Bosnia, Kosovo and Somalia, so its a bit rich to start using human suffering as a justification for what is simply a big oil grab. Just remember on this Veterans day many familes will be mourning their loved ones for little benefit i can see beyond inflating the value of Cheneys holdings in Haliburton. How much richer per dead soldier do you think he actually is now?

in case you think i am some big pacifist i served 4 years in the infantry all of it on active duty.

regards,

Duncan

doctor scrumpy Nov 11th 2003 10:54 am

Yes, go rejoice in all the wasted lives caused by idiots in the whitehouse. The war on non-US backed terrorism !

Never saw you do anything about the irish terrorists when you had the chance, more than happy to fund them & invite that murdering bastard adams over tothe whitehouse.

snorkmaiden Nov 11th 2003 1:18 pm

I was under the impression that "The Land of the Free" went out of the window when the Patriot Act came in the door.

Yosser Nov 11th 2003 1:36 pm

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Yes, go rejoice in all the wasted lives caused by idiots in the whitehouse. The war on non-US backed terrorism !

Never saw you do anything about the irish terrorists when you had the chance, more than happy to fund them & invite that murdering bastard adams over tothe whitehouse.
It is one thing I just didn't understand....Terrorism, the IRA and the yanks?...everyone in the world just watched as our troops and the general public got blown away by those murdering bastards for DECADES not just ONE day but no one helped us. When 911 happened it was like America was the first country EVER to have a terrorist attack.

Bush has stated in his compaign to rid the world of TERRORISM, and how the worlds forces must unite and help america, well what the ***** was America doing when our Malls, buses and hotels etc were getting bombed by the IRA funded by U.S organisations??

Its all very two faced.:mad:

ArsNo2 Nov 11th 2003 1:52 pm

Originally posted by Yosser
It is one thing I just didn't understand....Terrorism, the IRA and the yanks?...everyone in the world just watched as our troops and the general public got blown away by those murdering bastards for DECADES not just ONE day but no one helped us. When 911 happened it was like America was the first country EVER to have a terrorist attack.

Bush has stated in his compaign to rid the world of TERRORISM, and how the worlds forces must unite and help america, well what the ***** was America doing when our Malls, buses and hotels etc were getting bombed by the IRA funded by U.S organisations??

Totally agree with your views - Have always felt that there are a lot of things Governments/Security Forces of ALL Countries are meddling in, keeping everyone in the dark about, manipulating etc. etc.

Just because they are big bosses doesn't mean that there is going to be a difference in fundamental human instincts
- i.e. To be Top Dog - regardless of 'party' - regardless of 'ethics' - To be the WINNER

Felt I had to add this (all that keeps coming to mind):-

There were 10 in the bed and the little one said, Roll Over Roll Over, So they all rolled over and one fell out, There were 9 in the bed and the little one said, Roll Over Roll Over .........

Perhaps we should stop rolling over......:p :p

Patrick Nov 11th 2003 2:01 pm

And still they invite Gerry Adams, a convicted IRA terrorist, to the whitehouse every year for St Patrick's day.

The difference between NI and 911 is that they funded the IRA, they only trained Osama Bin Laden.

Patrick

Originally posted by Yosser

ArsNo2 Nov 11th 2003 2:09 pm

Originally posted by Patrick
And still they invite Gerry Adams, a convicted IRA terrorist, to the whitehouse every year for St Patrick's day.

The difference between NI and 911 is that they funded the IRA, they only trained Osama Bin Laden.

Patrick
Re: MANIPULATION etc. Look at all the bad press now being exposed about the Iraq rescue missions etc., How much did they know about 9/11 beforehand? .........