Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Happy Valentines Day

Happy Valentines Day

Old Feb 14th 2004, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Happy Valentines Day

Based on the US tradition of wishing everybody they meet a Happy Valentines Day I just wanted to say...

B]Happy Valentines Day!!![/B]
Attached Thumbnails Happy Valentines Day-heart.jpg  
Old Feb 14th 2004, 6:00 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all
Default Re: Happy Valentines Day

Originally posted by CitySimon
Based on the US tradition of wishing everybody they meet a Happy Valentines Day I just wanted to say...

Humbug. Oh wait, wrong day.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit, it was a little weird finding valentine cards in the stores for almost every member of your family. Did they have these in the U.K.?

Anyways. I'm having steak and lobster for dinner tonight.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience, Valentines Day was a time to express a hidden desire for somebody else.

Most cards I received were either blank inside or just "x".

Over here it seems that everybody gets them. I was a bit freaked out the first time my M-in-L bought me a valentines day present!
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Feb 14th 2004, 6:23 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

In my experience, Valentines Day was a time to express a hidden desire for somebody else.

Most cards I received were either blank inside or just "x".

Over here it seems that everybody gets them. I was a bit freaked out the first time my M-in-L bought me a valentines day present!
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Jesus, that's put me off my breakfast.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

I wouldn't have minded much but it was a pair of silk boxer shorts with hearts all over them!!! Scared the living crap out of me!

Feel free to vomit in nausious disgust!
Old Feb 14th 2004, 6:32 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I experienced the same thing. A valentines card from my mother and father in law

Mind you, I even get Xmas presents from my wife's ex-husband's sister

I went to the store yesterday (nothing like last minute romance) and was amazed to see the cards for all family members. I sure there are even cards for pets around here

Still, I love all the stuff you can buy and I surprised my wife with roses, chocolate covered strawberries and a treat pack (cuddly toy and various chocolate treats).

Right, now off to the drive-thru liquor store and drive-thru KFC for a night of romance

That last bit was a joke.....
Old Feb 14th 2004, 8:15 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have minded much but it was a pair of silk boxer shorts with hearts all over them!!! Scared the living crap out of me!

Feel free to vomit in nausious disgust!
Did you offer to model them for her?

That would've driven home the message that you thought the present rather odd or perhaps not...
Old Feb 14th 2004, 8:20 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Happy Valentines Day

Yesterday at work (the day before Valentine's Day), I received:
- a rose scented Yankee Candle from one coworker. Turns out she gave one to pretty much everyone on my floor (about 30 people).
- a large, heart shaped pink candy from another coworker (again, female)
- offered chocolate truffles during the afternoon by the coworker who gave me the heart shaped candy in the morning.

Earlier in the week, another coworker had handed me a box of those "tart flavored (sic)" hard heart candies. The name escapes me.

I found it really odd to receive Valentine's gifts from:
1) other females
2) coworkers of all people. Not even friends (whom I know better).

Neither myself or my spouse celebrate Valentine's and don't exchange presents or cards. Stuff Hallmark, American Greetings and the like!!
Old Feb 14th 2004, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yesterday, I spent 14 hours wrapping up roses...etc... which were then shipped out to the local residences and businesses!

FYI. My wifes uncle owns a flower shop.

The only good thing was that, after the flower shop closed, I was paid in beer (Boddingtons and Guinness on tap) until the pub closed. That is my idea of a valentines day gift!